• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 65 proposal from another board

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I agree with the idea of moving over 60 guys to the right seat is something that should be considered. A possible, reasonable compromise.
From an economic standpoint, i believe many people are missing one of the biggest problems. If the age shifts to 65, most companies will not agree to providing a B fund in future contracts. The B fund was developed because of the need to retire pilots early, if you will, at age 60. If pilots are now allowed to fly to 60 and have pensions, well funded 401Ks, the airlines that still provide B funds will try to eliminate B funds. Mark my words. This is a huge issue along with the potential to force pilots to work past 60. Along with stagnation and reduced hiring.
The older guys could care less what the cost to others is.

I like what someone proposed earlier: All over 60 yr old pilots must move to the right seat.

It won't stagnate left seat expectations by younger F/O's and will abide by the ICAO policy that one of the front-seaters has to be under 60 - it would also eliminate any problem scheduling over 60 yr olds on the same bid award or last minute trip.

Since we ALL KNOW this matter is about discrimination and NOT money, offer a type of pass over pay for + 60 yr old F/O's........

Nice try! ;)

On the surface this sounds really good. It looks to me like this would protect everyone who is already an F/O. It would still probably slow down hiring. Anyone?

Just the proposed change to the rule has ALREADY slowed down hiring at FedEx, straight from the SCPs mouth.

This is just the beginning of the hose job if this goes through.

FJ

If a compromise were possible, this would be reasonable. Unfortunately, I don't see many in favor of this going for it, because why should they compromise? With the NPRM announcement, they are getting their cake, and soon will be eating it, too. I am still in shock that a vocal minority has won over the majority. And as many proponents to this rule change probably see it, only a minority of their people will lose out, and we already know how they feel about their fellow pilots.

I am sure this has been questioned, but with the NPRM announced and soon coming, how do I protect myself and other fellow pilots from not being punished when I/we don't want to fly at age 60? Maybe we should change our fight to that. Are we strong enough as opponents to Age 60 changing to at least grandfather those of us that don't want to die in the cockpit and protect our retirement. I would really like to be drinking beer on the porch at 60 and laugh when a plane goes by that 60 some year old is flying, knowing I didn't get penalized by making the choice to enjoy life.

Since the FAA does not want both pilots in the cockpit to be older than 60, the rule needs to be that a pilot cannot hold a CA postion at 60. Once they hit the golden year, they can go back to flying the right seat. This will help solve the problem of two pilots in the cockpit older than 60, and keep upgrades from stagnating at each airline. A compromise if you will.

I propose a slogan:

RSO: RIGHT SEAT ONLY

So the announcemnt of the NPRM already has people comprimising? Come on, hold the line and stand firm. The only way to make it fair to 'everyone' is to keep it as is. These comprimises sell-out the furloughees and potential new-hires. Don't do it.

So the announcemnt of the NPRM already has people comprimising? Come on, hold the line and stand firm. The only way to make it fair to 'everyone' is to keep it as is. These comprimises sell-out the furloughees and potential new-hires. Don't do it.

The seduction has begun. That is the sound of the ladder being pulled up by the junior guys at every major... ;) TC

The seduction has begun. That is the sound of the ladder being pulled up by the junior guys at every major... ;) TC

Yes, they are in 'protection mode' after being attacked by the senior guys. I hope the reaction is one that will benefit the profession as a whole, including furloughees etc. Perhaps it will be so when the emotional dust settles.

Latest resources

Back