• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Andy

12/13/2012
I was asked by someone from another board to post this here:

All,

Age 60 is contentious; but it also has to be resolved. I propose the following reasonable compromise based on the following understandings.
  • A snap change of age 60 to any other higher age is a windfall to those lucky enough to catch the extra ride
  • A snap change of age 60 holds all pilots below the lucky few to a junior position for the full length of the extended age (5 years in the case of 65)
  • Pilots who miss the date by just a day lose the whole benefit of the change
  • Pilots already past age 60 also gain 0 benefit from the change
So here is the basic proposal:
  • Set a moving retirement age soon starting at age 61 which will progress upward at a rate of three months per year until there is either no retirement age or a maximum age is reached. We'll call this age the "Cap Age"
  • Allow any pilot under the Cap Age to return to work within the first year.
  • All pilots must retire at the Cap Age
Here is an example using the following givens:
  • Given: the proposed law goes into effect on Jan 1st 2008
  • Given: the new Cap Age is 61 until Jan 1st 2009
  • Given: the Cap Age will adjust upward by three months each successive Jan 1st until either the maximum Cap Age is reached (say 65) or until there is no practical Cap Age
  • Cap Age Table:
    • Jan 1st 2008 -- Cap Age = 61
    • Jan 1st 2009 -- Cap Age = 61+3 months
    • Jan 1st 2010 -- Cap Age = 61+6 months
    • Jan 1st 2011 -- Cap Age = 61+9 months
    • Jan 1st 2012 -- Cap Age = 62
    • Jan 1st 2013 -- Cap Age = 62+3 months
    • Jan 1st 2014 -- Cap Age = 62+6 months
    • etc. until max reached or until no limit...
Frank turns age 60 on Dec 25th 2007 and because the law has not taken effect, he retires on that date. {I'm sure some form of bridge provision would be negotiated to mitigate the extreme hassle of retiring just to "unretire" five days later.} On Jan 1st of '08 Frank returns to work and continues to work until he reaches the Cap Age of 61 on Dec 25th 2008. On that Date Frank retires.

Bob turns age 60 on Nov 15th 2008. The Cap Age is still 61 at this point; but Bob's going to turn age 61 on Nov 15th 2009 which carries him through the 61 + 3 month year (see table above) and into the 61 + 6 year, therefore Bob works the extra six months and retires on May 15th 2010.

Let's not forget Sally who happens to turn 60 on Jan 1st 2008. The Cap Age is 61 in that year making her new date Jan 1st of 2009; but wait, she now hits '09 giving her the 61+3 Cap Age. She turns 61+3 on about 1 April '09 and she retires on that date.

Now this kind of proposal if not perfect; but it does smooth out transition years and it is MORE inclusive of pilots that fall just on the wrong side of the magic date.

Standing by for incoming...

Let's keep it civil please.

It's similar to my previous proposal: http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=88857

However, after seeing how we've got a whole bunch of pilots who have already turned 60 and see this as an opportunity to get back into flying, I think that we need to push for a very slow phase in; where it increases by 3 mos/year. That way there is no huge windfall for a small group of pilots and it would not be worth lawsuits to try to come back for only 3 additional months.b

Sounds like a good plan. TC

Good plan. Try to tell that to MEC in each airline, where most of the pilots are senior and they don't want to listen.

Just remember, it's always about me, me, me, me. Even SWAPA, gave up on its members, that is junior guys/girls.

Like it or not, APA is the only one opposed in full force to the new NPRM 65.

Since the FAA does not want both pilots in the cockpit to be older than 60, the rule needs to be that a pilot cannot hold a CA postion at 60. Once they hit the golden year, they can go back to flying the right seat. This will help solve the problem of two pilots in the cockpit older than 60, and keep upgrades from stagnating at each airline. A compromise if you will.

Since the FAA does not want both pilots in the cockpit to be older than 60, the rule needs to be that a pilot cannot hold a CA postion at 60. Once they hit the golden year, they can go back to flying the right seat. This will help solve the problem of two pilots in the cockpit older than 60, and keep upgrades from stagnating at each airline. A compromise if you will.

This is the best proposal and the most "fair" for all concerned. Remember we have to keep that "experience in the cockpit", god knows an 8 year FO with 10,000hrs is just plain DANGEROUS.

Hmmm?

On the surface this sounds really good. It looks to me like this would protect everyone who is already an F/O. It would still probably slow down hiring. Anyone?

andy,

that is what the social security administration did when they raised the ss normal retirement age from 65 to 67 so there is a precedent here.

http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/ProgData/nra.html

as far as those over 60 going to the right seat ALPA will NEVER allow this. they want the CA's 2% and not the FO's 2%. economically to them, it doesn't make sense.

Yes it would slow down hireing. For every pilot who does not retire, it will be one less pilot the company needs. At the same time, it would promote growth from within, because now the companies need to fill CA postitions. I do not favor changing this age rule one bit, but I think that this is the is a descent compromise for those who want to keep flying and those waiting for upgrade.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back