Age 65, Merger...Scary time to be new at Cal

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Capt. overs, if you think CAL is hiring guys with no PIC ...your wrong,

You might be right about guys leaving for SWA but I know people who were just hired from other airlines that have recently come to CAL...it's a personal choice depending on many factors.

I should be more specific. No Turbine PIC required. A friend of mine in class right now told me of a guy from Mesa in class that doesn't have an ATP. His dad hooked him up.

Last edited:
Captain Overs said:
I should be more specific. No Turbine PIC required. A friend of mine in class right now told me of a guy from Mesa in class that doesn't have an ATP. His dad hooked him up.

Now thats the way to do it!!!!!

If the guy from Mesa without an ATP is the same guy I'm thinking of, he met all the required mins, but had no turbine PIC. I'm not sure about his dad, but I do know that he did an internship with Continental and that was the primary reason he got the interview.

328 thats a pretty assinine comment you made. " Ruin the expectations of junior CAL pilots " What about the thousands of other pilots that had their career expectations, and ended in unemployment and welfare lines after they were furloughed? If it goes by doh and a furloughed pilot comes off the street and bumps a new hire, then thats just too bad. If new hire's career expectations don't include a furlough or merger, then they are surely going to be sorry.

coogebeachhotel said:
What would happen if merger and then reduction in fleet size?
What would happen if you got out of your car and slipped on the ice and became a paraplegic? What would happen if you wound up in the walk in freezer of the restaurant you were eating at during a layover and the armed robbers were executing all the patrons. What would happen if...

bluefin said:
328 thats a pretty assinine comment you made. " Ruin the expectations of junior CAL pilots " What about the thousands of other pilots that had their career expectations, and ended in unemployment and welfare lines after they were furloughed? If it goes by doh and a furloughed pilot comes off the street and bumps a new hire, then thats just too bad. If new hire's career expectations don't include a furlough or merger, then they are surely going to be sorry.
bluefin, if you work for UAL - or even if you don't, I'd like to know what your opinion was when UAL and USAir were going to merge back in 2000. I doubt it's not the same as you just spouted off. Bunch of senior USAir guys wanted to come in to UAL and wipe out the UAL pilots' career expectations. I doubt it would have happened that way. We each go to these airlines and we have to live with the decision. If those furloughed at UAL had gone to CAL back in 2000, they'd be back and rapidly moving up a list right now. No one could foresee that, obviously, and many people chose UAL instead. Afterall, they were the biggest and "best", right? Merging with CAL shouldn't become a jobs program for furloughed UAL pilots. Do you think AWA should start furloughing so they can bring back all the USAir people that are on the street?

Last edited:
Just my opinion but I really doubt both UAL and CAL are going to want furloughed UAL pilots coming off the street just to furlough pilots at CAL. I'm not saying they won't come back and be senior someday but they will not start furloughing pilots at CAL and spend the money retraining UAL pilots. That would cost a fortune!! I'm sure they would work out some deal that the furloughed pilots come back as needed. As far as seniority.... who knows?

Furloughed^2, I can see something like that happening. Lists are merged (DOH, Ratio, whatever), then furloughs (both old and possibly new ones that are caused by the merger) are brought back as needed. How they are integrated will most assuredly affect the juniors at CAL. I mentioned on another thread: CAL has 2000 pilots retiring over the next several years. In theory that would move a new pilot here 50% up the seniority less, more or less. A junior CAL pilot post merger can find himself or herself at the very bottom 10 years from now as furloughs are brought back. Now, I know the realities of it will probably mean not all UAL furloughs would come back, but mathematically it'd be possible.

Just look what is happening with USAir Furloughed guys, a precendent has been set. An arbitrator will decide their fate.

Latest resources

Back