Age 65, Merger...Scary time to be new at Cal

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

coogebeachhotel

What would happen if merger and then reduction in fleet size?

coogebeachhotel said:
What would happen if merger and then reduction in fleet size?

Damn good question... I'd rather not think about it at this moment. Knock on wood, I'd retire in the top 40-ish at CAL as it stands. The bullsh*t age 65 alone won't change that, though it will ruin junior guys' QOL and career expectations for serveral years. However, how many furloughs does UAL have? Back to 11/99? CAL is retiring 2,000+ in the next 10 years. A straight DOH would wipe out nearly ALL career expectations a junior CAL pilot would have. That can't be allowed to happen.

This'll be very interesting, if it even comes to pass.

Here's hoping to never flying with a UAL pilot. And I mean that in the best way possible! :D :beer:

"Merge with ExpressJet, you mean? HAhahahaha, sorry, I couldn't resist. :)"

I say we staple CAL... OK OK just kidding!

Best of luck to Yall!!!

Patriot328 said:
However, how many furloughs does UAL have? Back to 11/99? CAL is retiring 2,000+ in the next 10 years. A straight DOH would wipe out nearly ALL career expectations a junior CAL pilot would have. That can't be allowed to happen.

:D :beer:

Many, many UAL furloughees are not going back. SWA has a former 15 year UAL Captain (gave 2 weeks notice) currently in training, so I hear.

I personally know UAL pilots that gave 2 weeks notice for FedEx and UPS. They won't be going back. Just imagine what the furloughees are up to.

As far as CAL is concerned, some of their new hires are interviewing at SWA and will leave if offered the chance.

Please note, I am not an arrogant SWA fanatic. Just reporting the fact that many people are choosing to make moves right now.

FlyBoeingJets said:
Many, many UAL furloughees are not going back. SWA has a former 15 year UAL Captain (gave 2 weeks notice) currently in training, so I hear.

I personally know UAL pilots that gave 2 weeks notice for FedEx and UPS. They won't be going back. Just imagine what the furloughees are up to.

As far as CAL is concerned, some of their new hires are interviewing at SWA and will leave if offered the chance.

Please note, I am not an arrogant SWA fanatic. Just reporting the fact that many people are choosing to make moves right now.

CAL types their FO's. Maybe that is why they are hiring guys with NO PIC! They don't want them to leave for SWA.

CAL does type all their FOs, regardless of equipment type. I dont personally know of anyone who has come here, gotten the type, and then left for SWA. I do know of two new-hire guys who left for FedEX, and one who left for UPS. But again, I haven't heard of anyone punching out for SWA.

Scary time to be at CAL? I think it is a scary time to be an airline pilot!

A friend of mine asked me if I would now try SWA? No thanks. SWA is a great company, but it was not my top choice prior to 9-11 and that has not changed.

As previously stated, the age 65 rule would affect the whole airline industry and not just CAL. A merger, well that would just suck.

You can't be scared and be an airline pilot, there are just too many changes in the industry. Every single airline out there has it's problems, so you do the best you can and sit back and enjoy the ride.

Latest resources

Back