• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AGE 60 passes Senate today..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This has to be the funniest thing I've ever read on here. I LOVE IT!! Who in the hell would want to work for AMR anyway? 15 year upgrade and barely making $100k??? not my cup of tea..........

However, this just allowed YOU to work an extra 5 years at the top of the payscale too! But, I do agree with the "selfish bastards" comment!

He is just so typical of the Alpa types out there. They preach how we are all "brothers" but will be the first people to stick a shank in your back when you are not looking.

They preach how we are all "brothers" but will be the first people to stick a shank in your back when you are not looking.

The shank in the back just came from the senior geezers that are trying to line their own pockets at the expense of the junior pilots and the furloughees.

f the age 65 rule

I figured out what it would cost me at SWA where there is actual projected growth. The union sent us a worksheet based on expected retirements etc, and projected aircraft deliveries. That was before last month's announcement of reduced growth.

Anyway, having been hired at SWA at age 31, I will lose, yes, lose $400,000 because of the rule change. That's if I compare my earning when retiring at age 60 with and without the rule change. If I stay till age 65, (as I never planned to do) I will make the money back, i.e. another 400k. BUT, I will work 5 extra years to catch up money I should have earned. So f u all you age 65 guys!

65 was coming no matter what... might as well get it over with.

Exactly.

On a positive side this change will get you to medicare without having to pay out of pocket for you and your family.

It is good also to take care of the folks that have lost everything and taken a 50% paycut. I had a UAL 747 Capt on the jumpseat to ORD the other day and was saddened listeneing to his story. Seriously, the guy has lost his pension and taken a 40/50% paycut. His kids are starting college, his wife has played housewife for 20 yrs so she can't work leaving him as the sole bread winner for the household. We have a responsibility as a pilot group to not leave the senior guys out on the street cold and hungry.

Just my thoughts.

Exactly.

On a positive side this change will get you to medicare without having to pay out of pocket for you and your family.

It is good also to take care of the folks that have lost everything and taken a 50% paycut. I had a UAL 747 Capt on the jumpseat to ORD the other day and was saddened listeneing to his story. Seriously, the guy has lost his pension and taken a 40/50% paycut. His kids are starting college, his wife has played housewife for 20 yrs so she can't work leaving him as the sole bread winner for the household. We have a responsibility as a pilot group to not leave the senior guys out on the street cold and hungry.

Just my thoughts.

Keep talkin like that and you'll be the one out in the street cold and hungry...that 747 CA still got the PBGC bailout...the folks behind him got screwed out of a job, a retirement, a career, and a future spot in the left seat...all of which he still has (albeit less than before)...that jackass probably wouldn't stop to piss on you if you were on fire by the way...enjoy a few more years at your commuter airline as this will slow/stop hiring at all the majors (if it ever even passes)

Last edited:
Exactly.

Just my thoughts.

Next time, be sure to ask this guy what he thinks all those old Frontier guys did when his UALALPA ruined their careers. This guy got off easy compared to what those guys went through, and it was guys like him (or maybe he himself!) that made that happen.

Hey, I've heard/read from a couple of different sources, that Bush plans to veto this bill...not necessarilly for the age 65 rule, but because it is an addtional spending bill that he disagrees with. Now, I understand that it was passed with enough votes to overrule a veto, but if vetoed, it still has to go back for a vote(through both chambers?), and then overrule a veto at that point? Am I off on what I learned in civics class?

I know that the votes exist to ovverrule the veto, understood...but, any of you big brained smart guys out there have any understanding of the process to go ahead and overrule that veto? Anyone have information on likelihood of a veto? Anyone have a bottle of courvosier for good ole' Leon?

Heck, I know that even a few months means more retirements...how are you folks at FedEx/UPS on this one? I bet a lot of our older friends went to the engineer panel to ride this storm out...are there a lot of folks hanging on the panel so that they can remove that tape off their fourth stripes(true story I've heard about at least one guy) and become in charge again? Best of luck to ya...

Here is where i saw that Bush will veto the bill:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/legislative/sap/110-1/hr3074sap-h.pdf

"The Administration strongly opposes H.R. 3074 because, in combination with the other FY 2008 appropriations bills, it includes an irresponsible and excessive level of spending and includes other objectionable provisions.
The President has proposed a responsible plan for a balanced budget by 2012 through spending restraint and without raising taxes. To achieve this important goal, the Administration supports a responsible discretionary spending total of not more than $933 billion in FY 2008, which is a $60 billion increase over the FY 2007 enacted level. The Democratic Budget Resolution and subsequent spending allocations adopted by the House Appropriations Committee exceed the President’s discretionary spending topline by $22 billion, causing a 9 percent increase in FY 2008 discretionary spending. In addition, the Administration opposes the House Appropriations Committee’s plan to shift $3.5 billion from the Defense appropriations bill to non-defense spending, which is inconsistent with the Democrats’ Budget Resolution and risks diminishing America’s war fighting capacity.
H.R. 3074 exceeds the President’s request for programs funded in this bill by $3.4 billion, part of the $22 billion increase above the President’s request for FY 2008 appropriations. The Administration has asked that Congress demonstrate a path to live within the President’s topline and cover the excess spending in this bill through reductions elsewhere, while ensuring the Department of Defense has the resources necessary to accomplish its mission. Because Congress has failed to demonstrate such a path, if H.R. 3074 were presented to the President, he would veto the bill."

My understanding is that there has to be a 2/3 majority vote in BOTH houses to overide the veto. Senate has enough votes, House does not.

Exactly.

Just my thoughts.

Many of those multi-decade senior UAL guys (and others) made the sad and unfortunate mistake of placing too much faith in their A Fund. I'm not calling them stupid; perhaps I would have made the same mistake. Many have.

The thing is, before 9/11, UAL pilots were the highest paid in the world. The multi-decade senior pilots had many, many years to develop their retirement portfolios, at substantially more money than we're making now. Younger guys, like me, and most of you, will have less years at the big money to prepare. Furthermore, many of these guys were hired at their career airline when they were very young. The average age of a new-hire at my airline, a prestigious cargo carrier, is 37, not mid-20s like many of these UAL guys (and others). I was 39.

So, as sad as it may be for some of these old guys who lost their retirements, perhaps you can see why guys like me aren't gushing with sympathy for them.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back