• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 60 legislation is moving fast as of today

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Andy seems to be applying academics to airline management!!!!
Lets see.....when times are bad they (manag) wants you to work for less.
When times are good they (manag) wants you to work for less.

Explain that F#cking curve!

:) I don't need to get banned again.

It may hurt for awhile but it also prolongs your career. What's wrong with that? Maybe you went to your airline because of promises of fast upgrades?

I "went" to my airline because I was lucky and they hired me. Nobody ever promised me any upgrade at all. Didn't ask for one, didn't care. Now I would simply like the opportunity to progress and upgrade based on the same criteria that the older guys did.

I would REALLY like to see the guys on furlough have a chance to re-start their career NOW rather than 5 years from now.

And yes, it WILL extend my career, forcing me to work 5 extra years to TRY to recoup about 2-3 years worth of Captain's pay, while the old guys get another 5 full years of Captain's pay.

Those are just a few of the things wrong with that.

There, I didn't even use the safety argument because the simpletons that think they don't age because they have bought into the hype that 70 is the new 40 (do you believe everything else Hollywood tells you?) obviously can't accept the reality that their cognitive skills decrease as they age. These are the ones who refuse to answer the question (coherently logically) why is one of the pilot's required to be under 60. They give that the old just because. It couldn't possibly be about SAFETY.

FJ

I think most of the guys I know at SWA (Capts) have a higher integrity level than you give them credit for.

Then why do they keep pushing lawmakers to change the rules of the game and rob the junior guys of the opportunities they themselves had on the way up? Especially when they are one of the few pilot groups that hasn't had their pensions stolen from them!
Do you ask your FO to buy you dinner on the overnights as well?

And how many flight engineers over age 60 at places like FedEX or UPS get to bid back to CA if this passes. Should be interesting. I would think pilots at those airlines would definatley be voting no!

And how many flight engineers over age 60 at places like FedEX or UPS get to bid back to CA if this passes. Should be interesting. I would think pilots at those airlines would definatley be voting no!

As currently written, S 65 does not give them the right to bid back to the left seat. ... and we're still waiting on a companion bill in the House.

If this changes, it looks more likely to occur through an FAA initiated NPRM.

Just curious

What if a 60 year old First Officer (obviously very senior) bids a line with an over 60 Captain. Would the 60 year old F/O be paid to stay home? I would think so. A lucky bunch will have paid vacation as long as they bid lines with old farts.
I think it will be a scheduling nightmare and extremely expensive for our companies.
I personally think 60 is even too old. Yeah, you really feel those years when it's 4am, you've been up since 7am the day before, and you're holding at Willow for an hour, then doing a 300RVR approach in LGW. Gotta love it.

Actually CaptBud... with PBS system at most airlines... the program would most likely not allow the 60 year old FO to bid the same pairing as a 60 year old captain. Basically, you would probably rob that FO of a pairing he wants as the pairing in question would go to someone junior who is under 60 basically screwing with the FO seniority list.

Still Curious

I'm only familiar with the system that permits you to be awarded whatever your seniority will hold. I don't see how the company can deny you the ability to bid a line by virtue of being older then 60. When I was still working, many F/O's tried to bid my line because they knew all their trips would be bought because I was giving IOE's on all my trips.
Just my thoughts.

In PBS, you don't bid for lines. Your line gets built based on your preferences such as days off/specific pairings/specific crew/specific cities/specific days of the week so on that you specify in your bid... then the computer spits out your bid.

In theory, FO's could be "bought" with days off, and have reserve cover the trip. But why would any company allow that if it's an FAR that's precluding that 60 year old FO to be assigned that trip?

Bud: Imagine a system where your line isn't available for any FO to bid. Your flying is removed from the system for any pilot execpt your IOE. Same with age 60+. The flying done by age 60+ captains will be totally unavailable to age 60+ FOs (think what that will do to widebody flying post age change).

It works kind of like two low time pilots.

Latest resources

Back