• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 60 informal poll

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Abolish the Age 60 Rule for other that Part 91 pilots?

• Yea

Votes: 668 35.5%
  • Nay

Votes: 1,214 64.5%

• Total voters
"A house divided against itself cannot stand."

UndauntedFlyer, you have not answered any of my questions!

OK, I'm totally ignorant on this subject. I fail to quote retired UAL captain sam woolsey as a reputable source because he's been fighting age 60 since he was ~58 and has set up a website (www.age60rule.com). I've read his website but found glaring omissions and distortions. But I am ignorant for not taking his distorted viewpoint as gospel.

But let's get back to you because I can tell that you think that the world revolves around you. You've been a 777 captain at United for seven years. You're currently number 10 out of more than 8600 pilots on the seniority list. You've pulled down a six digit salary for more than 15 years. How could you piss it all away to the point where you can't pay for your son's college? Wow. I'm floored.
Now that you've found yourself in a corner, you're figuring that you can save yourself by compromising safety standards. How noble of you.

So quit being so divisive.
Oh, and answer Andy's questions. My ears hurt.

Andy's questions have been asked and answered. I guess he disn't like my answers when they were given several pages back. I see no need in repeating those answers.

UndauntedFlyer said:
Andy's questions have been asked and answered. I guess he disn't like my answers when they were given several pages back. I see no need in repeating those answers.

No, you haven't answered my questions. This is just another indication that your cognitive abilities are rapidly deteriorating. My questions are again posted below. You say that you've answered them; reference the applicable posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy in post #448
Captain, you were #11 on the 2005 seniority list and you are #9 on the 2006 seniority list. ... Where'd it all go?

Quote:
Can you explain how you've been able to squander away such a huge salary?

Quote:
How many airlines have you seen go under during your career? Did you not learn from ALL of those ex-Easterners on United property who lost their entire pensions? (I flew with a lot of them; I heeded their advice to not live beyond a flight engineer's salary). Did you think that there was no possibility of meeting the same fate?

Quote:

Why is 60 discriminatory, yet 65 is not discriminatory? Or do you advocate flying until you die?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy in post #449
1) Where did all of your money go? You've been earning a 6 figure salary for a LONG time.
2) Why didn't you spearhead this effort to change the retirement age 20 years ago? Why did you wait until you were 59?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy in post #464
ZOIKS! What are figuring for an annual cash burn rate? $500K to $1 mil for five years??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy in post #477
Care to state publicly the amount of stock and bond money that you received? Ballpark from what I've read is that it's north of $500K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy in post #528
If this is truly a 'cause' that you be fighting for, is it safe to assume that you will continue to champion this effort after January 28, or will you join the rest of the 59ers who have recently 'seen the light,' only to disappear once there is no personal benefit to them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy in post #535
Have you noticed that everyone voicing a strong opinion on extending the retirement age is over 55?

I have always noticed that when a person has lost an argument that they often times begin name calling and changing the issue.

This thread deals with the merits and the likelihood of the age 60 rule changing. Whether any member of this Board is wealthy or poor, has $100 or $1,000,000 has nothing to do with the subject.

This thread only deals with age discrimination and a person's right to work and therefore support their family.

ALPA President speaks on age-60 Issue

ALPA President Henry Duffy’s made this statement in the 1990 Baker v FAA “It has never been my belief that professional expertise diminishes at age 60, on the contrary, our senior members possess a wealth of knowledge, aviation history, and insight that have been developed through their years of experience, which are irreplaceable”. He also stated during this testimony “Pilots over 55 comprise 5-6% of the total membership. The other 95% selfishly view the forced retirement of older pilots as their guaranteed path and a God given right to their promotions!”

Is "ANDY" a member of that 95%?

The 5-6% that are being forced to retire: How did/do they view the forced retirement of the pilots in front of them? I'll surmise there was no hand-wringing and gnashing of teeth over their poor elders being forced out so they could benefit. It is not a God given right, but that's the game we've been playing for a long time. You want to change it now because you're on the other end of the age spectrum. One of these mornings how about peeling off that rationalizing film from your mirror and take a good look.
Is "ANDY" a member of that 95%?: Most probably. Were you once part of that 95%? No doubt.

The 5-6% that are being forced to retire: How did/do they view the forced retirement of the pilots in front of them? I'll surmise there was no hand-wringing and gnashing of teeth over their poor elders being forced out so they could benefit. It is not a God given right, but that's the game we've been playing for a long time. You want to change it now because you're on the other end of the age spectrum. One of these mornings how about peeling off that rationalizing film from your mirror and take a good look.
Is "ANDY" a member of that 95%?: Most probably. Were you once part of that 95%? No doubt.

sorry about the double.

Latest resources

Back