• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 60 informal poll

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Abolish the Age 60 Rule for other that Part 91 pilots?

• Yea

Votes: 668 35.5%
  • Nay

Votes: 1,214 64.5%

• Total voters
pipe said:
One thing, however, is certain - the higher that age goes, the more stringent the exams must become for everyone. PIPE
Where did you get this information? From ALPA I would guess or was it just made up by someone as a scare tactic. The fact of the matter is that the FAA's Chief Air Surgeon says the 1st Class physical will be the same. The only coming changes are that those under age 60 will be taking their physicals once per year and those over age 60 will be twice per year. Can you handle that change?

It wasn't intended as a scare tactic. Just an extension of your argument. If the logic is that we're doing this to conform with most other ICAO countries, then it's also logical to assume that the physical will eventually follow. Ours are not as tough as many of theirs.

PIPE

pipe said:
As has been pointed out countless times, determining an age is arbitrary. One thing, however, is certain - the higher that age goes, the more stringent the exams must become for everyone. They won't make the exam more thorough just for the old guys - that would be age discrimination.

Bottom line, you're looking at a logistics nightmare to arbitrarily change an arbitrary rule to another arbitrary rule. Doesn't really seem to pass the sensibility test.

PIPE
I would not be opposed to increasing the medical standards, but the standards would have to increase for all ages. I would bet that I am in much better physical shape most of the younger guys in the industry. I fly with 40-year-old pilots that are in pathetic physical shape. I have always taken care of myself to insure that I would be able to pass the Class I physical beyond age 65.
Interestingly, the FAA grants exemptions for pilots who have had head injuries, seizures, alcohol and drug dependency, heart attacks and bypass surgery. All of these can be and are forgiven after cognitive testing but NEVER has there been an exemption for the simple fact of being one day older than 59, that magic age of 60 that somehow means a seasoned pilot no is longer fit to perform in a lifelong skill.

Last edited:
That's great that you could pass. Now, look at the people around you and see how they feel about.

This is the same argument all over again.

You'd be fine with that because it would be o.k. for you.

Changing the rules of the game on everyone else is fine because it would be o.k. for you.

Anyone see a trend here? Undaunted and Klako are exceptions to every criteria and the rest of the world be damned.

I think we all should agree that this is a purely political issue. The age 60 rule was conceived in politics and must now die a political death. Since it’s inception, “The Age 60 Rule” has been an on-going curse on the airline industry. The primary reason why the “Age 60 Rule” is still around today is because of the persistent opposition from ALPA and APA. ALPA and APA continue to succeed in preventing a change to the “Age 60 Rule” through their political influence within the FAA along with their lobbying efforts in Congress. The motive behind ALPA and APA resisting a change to the “Age 60 Rule” reflects the “me now” attitude of their junior pilots. The rule has had little chance of being abolished because the pilot groups under age 50 will always represent the majority, maintaining their political power through the forced retirement of pilots over age 60. Junior pilots will always view the forced retirement of all pilots over the age of 60 as essential to their career progression. Thus the majority will always maintain command of a system that succeeds in eliminating competition from the minority. When pilots over the age of 50 finally come to the realization that the “Age 60 Rule” will adversely impact the remainder of their lives, it is too late as they are now members of the minority and have little power to effect a change.

pipe said:
That's great that you could pass. Now, look at the people around you and see how they feel about.

This is the same argument all over again.

You'd be fine with that because it would be o.k. for you.

Changing the rules of the game on everyone else is fine because it would be o.k. for you.

Anyone see a trend here? Undaunted and Klako are exceptions to every criteria and the rest of the world be danged.

No, just have the same standard for all but increase the standards for everyone. To mandate an increased medical standard for only pilots over the age 60 is itself promoting ageism.

Klako said:
I think we all should agree that this is a purely political issue. The age 60 rule was conceived in politics and must now die a political death. Since it’s inception, “The Age 60 Rule” has been an on-going curse on the airline industry. The primary reason why the “Age 60 Rule” is still around today is because of the persistent opposition from ALPA and APA. ALPA and APA continue to succeed in preventing a change to the “Age 60 Rule” through their political influence within the FAA along with their lobbying efforts in Congress. The motive behind ALPA and APA resisting a change to the “Age 60 Rule” reflects the “me now” attitude of their junior pilots. The rule has had little chance of being abolished because the pilot groups under age 50 will always represent the majority, maintaining their political power through the forced retirement of pilots over age 60. Junior pilots will always view the forced retirement of all pilots over the age of 60 as essential to their career progression. Thus the majority will always maintain command of a system that succeeds in eliminating competition from the minority. When pilots over the age of 50 finally come to the realization that the “Age 60 Rule” will adversely impact the remainder of their lives, it is too late as they are now members of the minority and have little power to effect a change.
Jeezus H Christ Klako, knock it off already. You just posted this same exact paragraph just a few days ago, darn near word for word. Blah blah blah, you keep spewing the same crap over and over again.

We get it; you're selfish and you want the rules to fit your circumstances. Me me me. It ain't politics or safety, it's all about Klako and what he wants.

Can we end this stupid thread now?

jbDC9 said:
We get it; you're selfish and you want the rules to fit your circumstances. Me me me. It ain't politics or safety, it's all about Klako and what he wants.

What I want is to keep what is mine. My job and seniority is something that no one below me should have the right to take away from me. Those of you who think that the forced retirement of senior pilots is your God given path to seniority progression had better plan on all that changing and soon. The age 60 rule has always been wrong and it is high time that Congress puts an end to it.

The bottom line is that that physical and mental decline cannot be measured by age alone. I think we have all observed that some people decline in their physical and mental abilities faster that others. There is the experience factor to be considered also. Everyone since the Wright Brothers has known that the more experienced pilot is the safer pilot. I would say that though highly experienced pilots may suffer some varying amount decline in physical abilities as they age, their experience will more than compensate for any slight physical decline in performance. Age alone must not be the measure of a safe pilot

Klako said:
What I want is to keep what is mine. My job and seniority is something that no one below me should have the right to take away from me. Those of you who think that the forced retirement of senior pilots is your God given path to seniority progression had better plan on all that changing and soon. The age 60 rule has always been wrong and it is high time that Congress puts an end to it.

I'm sure those were the same things you were saying about the 60yr olds who retired to trigger your upgrade class.

I can hear you now on the first day of class: " Hi, I'm Klako and I just want everyone to know I'm really uncomfortable with this. All of us in this room are stealing from a bunch of 60 year olds today. Congress must STOP THIS MADNESS NOW! By the way, does anyone have the name and address of our senator? When I write them to try to bring those guys back I also want to mention the tax rate. I already computed my new tax rate on Captain pay and this is bull$hit".

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back