• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 60 informal poll

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Abolish the Age 60 Rule for other that Part 91 pilots?

• Yea

Votes: 668 35.5%
  • Nay

Votes: 1,214 64.5%

• Total voters
miles otoole said:
Was this Dr. D. A.? If so, I know him well, FWIW. He's the best known orthopod in NYC.

No; it was Dr Baylis in Plantation, FL (just outside of Miami). Link: http://www.orthousa.com/
I had total anterior cruscal ligament replacement (used part of my hamstring) in Dec 05. It's as good as new. Outstanding surgeon & great person; I have no problem putting in a shameless plug for him.
If you need ortho work and live in south FL, I highly recommend him.

N1kawotg said:
Andy, doesn't JAZZ have over 60 captains flying in the US now, so why would the FAA limit a ICAO when that rule changes?

If Jazz has over 60 captains flying in US airspace, they are in violation of US airspace rules.

Klako said:
I would be willing to bet that I am in much better physical shape than you are.

Great. Now you're superman.
I work out ~5x/wk. My bench press has been in decline; it's now down to the 275 range. I work out enough that I am able to watch the slow deterioration of my physical abilities.
I've porked out since the knee surgery due to being unable to do aerobics until recently. I'm 6'1", 225 lbs, 46" chest, 37" waist (up from 34" last winter presurgery).
I take vitamins and supplements daily, I don't smoke, I eat fairly healthy (with a bent toward high protein diet due to all of the weightlifting), and DEFINITELY drink alcohol on occasion.

But I'm sure that you can kick my azz. :laugh:

I bet the percentage of 60 year old pilots that can even do three sets of 5 pull ups is pathetically low, probably even for just 5 pull ups.

Klako said:
Andy, Please show us information that says the FAA would limit over age 60 pilots of foreign carriers in U.S airspace when the ICAO rule changes.

http://www.intl-pilot.com/content/view/27/16/

Klako, you are a novice to the legislative and rules making process. But if you want to cling to the dream that the 109th Congress is going to save your bacon, keep dreaming.
Did you know that there are currently 15 scheduled work days between when Congress reconvenes after Labor Day (they're not currently in session) and the final adjournment for the fall elections? Do you know what happens to those bills if they are not acted upon prior to adjournment? And you think that this issue is one of the top priorities in that short time period?

Andy said:
http://www.intl-pilot.com/content/view/27/16/

Klako, you are a novice to the legislative and rules making process. But if you want to cling to the dream that the 109th Congress is going to save your bacon, keep dreaming.
Did you know that there are currently 15 scheduled work days between when Congress reconvenes after Labor Day (they're not currently in session) and the final adjournment for the fall elections? Do you know what happens to those bills if they are not acted upon prior to adjournment? And you think that this issue is one of the top priorities in that short time period?

In Klako's defense, he is well versed in the rules making process. Even though I strongly disagree with him on this iussue, he will be missed if he has to retire this year. He has been good to his crews. I admire the fact that he is willing to fight to the end on this. Who knows, he just might win (God forbid).

N1kawotg said:
Andy, doesn't JAZZ have over 60 captains flying in the US now, so why would the FAA limit a ICAO when that rule changes?

Here's a link; I don't know if it'll work very well or not:
http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:cBmYvaWwEJ4J:www.globeadvisor.com/servlet/ArticleNews/story/gam/20060703/RPILOTS03+canada+jazz+age+60+domestic&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1

Here's a copy and paste of the essential stuff:
Air Canada maintains that its retirement policy doesn't contravene the Canadian Human Rights Act. The country's flag carrier dismissed comparisons with smaller airlines that allow pilots to work under certain conditions beyond 60. For instance, Air Canada Jazz and WestJet Airlines Ltd. allow pilots to work only on domestic routes from 60 to 65, but those involve shorter hauls on average than Air Canada's extensive international network.

Note that Jazz pilots can only fly domestically past age 60.

Klako said:
The Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation has now approved S.65 with an amendment offered by Senators Conrad Burns (R-Montana) and Ted Stevens (R-Arkansas). That means that S.65 is out of committee, it has been approved for a vote on the full Senate floor. That vote could come about as early as the first week in September.

Do you have ANY idea how old that press release is? Try this link:
http://commerce.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressReleases.Detail&PressRelease_id=248558&Month=11&Year=2005

Hmmm. Nov 05. Yep, that vote's right around the corner. Yep, they're going to pass it and you're home free, Klako. Just keep dreamin' the dream.

Last edited:
Klako said:
Retirement for an Army CW4 gives me about $2,000 per mo. I have a 401K of about $300,000, house almost paid for and no debts. This may look good to many; however, I am now burdend with helping my parents who recently moved into an assisted living care home and my daughter with college.

Wow, burdened. Where is my violin? I hope you haven't put it to your daughter that way. I wonder if she will feel as though it was an even trade when your failure to plan for your own retirement cuts into her monthly paycheck down the road. Hopefully she isn't planning on a career as a pilot!

Have you taken a look at a Regional CA's paycheck lately? Apparently not. 2K/mo. wouldn't be far from the high average. For many, that may be all that's on the horizon in the immediate future, period. No other benefits to speak of, unless you count "jumpseating" on airplanes that have no jumpseats available. I wonder if the vast majority would consider a 300K cash acct. and a house that's almost paid for much in the way of assets.

No offense, but as someone once said, "That's a pretty arrogant statement considering the company you're in!"

Klako said:
Some of you Junior guys have got to get it out of your selfish heads that the forced retirement of older pilots is your guaranteed path and a God given right to promotions up the seniority list. No one should have the right to steal my job, including the government, just because I celebrate my 60th birthday. The cursed "Age 60" rule must be abolished. It is just plain f%^*@!g wrong!
Man, you keep droning on and on, and crap like this just makes you look like an idiot. You post on here endlessly but don't read what others post.

You do realize, I hope, that the only way senior pilots got to be senior was that the older guys above them hit age 60 and retired, allowing everyone to move up. Everyone has benefitted from the rule, even the 50+ yr olds (like you) who are now whining and screaming to repeal this thing. You keep calling the junior guys selfish... the way I see it, you're the most selfish one on the board posting crap like this. Me, me, me... moron.

Oh, and your idea to have everyone retire after 20 years or service at a company or age 65, whichever is first? Yeah, that's completely retarded and irrrelevant.

Latest resources

Back