• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 60 informal poll

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Abolish the Age 60 Rule for other that Part 91 pilots?

• Yea

Votes: 668 35.5%
  • Nay

Votes: 1,214 64.5%

• Total voters
Flying until I am 69 now

RESEARCH BODES WELL FOR OLDER PILOTS
Research shows you can teach an old pilot new tricks. A study published in the February issue of Neurology showed that expert knowledge may offset the impact of old age in some occupations. Researchers tested 118 pilots, aged 40 to 69, in a flight simulator on an annual basis for three years. All the pilots were currently flying, had medical certificates, and had between 300 and 15,000 hours of flight time. They were tested on communications, traffic avoidance, instrument scanning, emergency detection, and visual approaches. While older pilots initially performed worse than younger pilots, older pilots showed less of a decline in overall flight summary scores. They also improved more than younger pilots when it came to traffic avoidance. Pilots with advanced ratings and certificates also showed less of a performance decline over time, regardless of age. This is known as "crystallized intelligence," also seen in music and expert chess playing. The AOPA Air Safety Foundation is commissioning its own study where it will look at a broader age range—including those older than 69.

Three heart attacks at CAL in the last 45 days. Two resulted in diverts, one happened on a jetway. Sadly, one perished.

You want to know how the churn and turmoil of the last 6 years manifests itself 20 years down the road? Look at CAL. Two Bks, a strike, multiple mergers 20 years ago; guys and gals went thru he!!. Not a good thing. Pretty short sighted to be thinking changing retirement age is automatically a good decision.

how old were the HA?

The one in the jetway was 58 yrs, 10 months. He lived and is not doing too good, but improving. One divert was the very unfortunate gentleman who died, and I think his age was reported on here (I don't have it in front of me). The third, also was a divert, happened to a guy that had about 24+ years at CAL (I'm estimating). The third one has not been widely reprted, but the guys is going to live.

They've all had a lot of years at CAL. Which means they've had terrible work rules and been rode hard and put up wet. Now every airline has the same basic work rules so we should be able to see where this is going, right? Wrong, we think the answer is working longer! Well, really the only pilots who think it's a good idea are the ones with sufficient seniority to insulate them from the work rules. Coincidentally, they have the best remaining pay and vacations.

You starting to see who the greedy ones are Yip?

In the words of Mike Douglas "Greed is good"

Adam Smith

only quoter of M. Douglas. Greed, one of the 7 deadly. however it matches Adam Smith in the "Welath of Nations" The key to economic transactions is everyone looks out for their own best interest.

Last edited:
lets go for age 66, SSN retirement age

Latest resources

Back