• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 60 informal poll

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Abolish the Age 60 Rule for other that Part 91 pilots?

• Yea

Votes: 668 35.5%
  • Nay

Votes: 1,214 64.5%

• Total voters
Your post makes no sense. Clearly I said that my replacement comes to the bottom of the pile, meaning the new-hire f/o at some commuter/regional airlline.

Okay then, if that strokes your ego, go with it. Your earlier post shows your attitude; that the senior experienced pilots (i.e., YOU) are like gods, irreplaceable by some snot nosed "low time" new guys. You prefer to just gloss over the fact that you were once an inexperienced new hire yourself... so, using your ridiculous "logic", the air travel industry was less safe when you plopped your newly hired ass into the F/E or F/O seat. But now that you're a senior captain, that just doesn't matter; pilots with less experience appear to be beneath you, and I don't mean on the seniority list either. Nice attitude.

Quit yer bitchin' about safety or discrimination. It's all about money and ego for you.

Quit yer bitchin' about safety or discrimination. It's all about money and ego for you.

Bob, tell him what he's won!

UF is fond of including deep and moving quotes from the likes of Abraham Lincoln and others in his posts - here are a few for him to consider:

"Everybody needs his memories. They keep the wolf of insignificance from the door."
— Saul Bellow
(1915-2005) U.S. (Canadian born) writer - wrote novels, short stories and plays; won Nobel Prize for Literature (1976); won Pulitzer Prize for Humboldt's Gift (1975)

Kahlil Gibran (1883-1931) Lebanese poet
"I have learnt silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to these teachers."

Tommy Lasorda (1927-) U.S. baseball manager
"About the only problem with success is that it does not teach you how to deal with failure."

Dave Allen (1936-2005) Irish comedian
"I still think of myself as I was 25 years ago. Then I look in a mirror and see an old bastard and realize it's me."

Jimmy Connors (1952-) U.S. tennis player
"Experience is a great advantage. The problem is that when you get the experience, you're too danged old to do anything about it."

John McEnroe (1959-) U.S. tennis player and sportscaster
"I am not having points taken off me by an incompetent old fool. You are the pits of the world."

Abigail Van Buren (191:cool:, (Pauline Esther Friedman; Mrs. Morton Phillips) U.S. advice columnist
"Wisdom doesn't automatically come with old age. Nothing does - except wrinkles. It's true, some wines improve with age. But only if the grapes were good in the first place."

Neil Armstrong (1930-) U.S. astronaut
(About Charles Lindbergh) "He did it alone. We had a cast of millions." (editors note: Could Neil Armstrong have been talking about UF?)

Hannibal Lecter detective/crime film character
"I do wish we could chat longer, but I'm having an old friend for dinner."

Enjoy-

PIPE

No they do not have any over age 60 flight instructors in the training department. ALPA has put a stop to any chance of allowing the over age 60 guys back in any capacity. This has been the policy for years.

I know that UAL used to have "over age 60" guys working the panel. Wasnt aware of ALPA being against that. If you really want to work and provide for your family, maybe this should be your real fight. I dont think there is a FAA regulation about teaching over age 60. Now you might have a legitimate age discrimination law suit on your hands.

Do any other airlines allow over age 60s to instruct? I know at my last job, we had at least one, maybe two.

Any US airlines that still have engineers, and do they have over age 60 guys working still? How about FedEx or UPS, any over 60 FEs?

http://www.flightglobal.com/Articles/2006/11/28/Navigation/177/210768/Pilots+could+fly+on+until+they+reach

Pilots could fly on until they reach 70
By David Learmount

JAA medical committee sees nothing against fit crew

The European Joint Aviation Authorities medical committee has agreed that there is "no medical reason" why airline pilots should not be permitted to continue flying until they reach 70 years of age.
The finding has been revealed as an International Civil Aviation Organisation resolution permitting pilots to fly to age 65 was implemented last week.
Speaking at Flight International's Crew Management Conference in Brussels last week, aviation medical consultant Dr Ian Perry said that the JAA medical committee has agreed that a fit 70-year-old should not be prevented from commanding a commercial air transport aircraft on medical grounds.
At the conference, the chairman of the Singapore Civil Aviation Medical Board, Dr Jarnail Singh, who also chaired the ultra-long-range task force and is a member of the Flight Safety Foundation crew alertness committee, said that in examinations of factors affecting crew fitness to work on ultra-long-range flights - such as Singapore-New York non-stop - pilot age was determined not to be an issue.
Perry, meanwhile, said that while airlines find clinical diagnosis of chronic fatigue "difficult to accept", if an accident is fatigue-related the airline is responsible for it. While making it clear that such events were rare, he revealed that the reduced freedom of movement imposed on long-haul pilots by the need to lock cockpit doors has resulted in flightcrew sleeping on the floor behind the pilot seats.
The US Federal Aviation Administration has set up a forum to investigate if US commercial pilots should be allowed to fly past the age of 60, in line with the new ICAO rules.
ICAO has increased the upper age limit for pilots to 65, provided that one of the pilots in the cockpit is under 60. Medical experts and FAA personnel will be joined by representatives from airlines and pilot unions in the Age 60 Aviation Rulemaking Committee to examine whether the USA should follow suit.

I'd like to know which airline and 70 year old crew they observed making ultra long range flights on a regular basis.

Here is a legitimate question I'd like answered by the pro-change crowd.

If your crew was to tell you that you're falling behind the power curve, and that you're becoming a burden on them as opposed to an asset, would you believe them or would you dismiss them as just someone trying to kick you out of the left seat?

Your post makes no sense. Clearly I said that my replacement comes to the bottom of the pile, meaning the new-hire f/o at some commuter/regional airlline.

UF, you are truly an idiot savant. A furloughee will replace your pompous azz in the cockpit. I have a 22 Jan recall class; just 7 days before you're put out to pasture. I will go on mil leave, but I know that all of the pilots on the UAL seniority list below me are well qualified.
Here's how it's going to go with your replacement. A 767 Captain will bid up to 777 Capt and replace you. Three cheers! A 737/320 Captain will bid up to 767 Cap. A 777/400 FO will bid up to 737/320Capt. A 767 FO will bid up to 777/400 FO. A 737/320Fo will bid up to 767 FO. A furloughee will be recalled to fill the 737/320 FO vacancy. And your azz will be, thankfully, retired. 29 Jan. Let's count the days. Less than 65.

I'm amazed that you or any other idiot thinks that the rule is going to change any time soon.

You have besmirched yourself so much on this and other boards that I would be surprised if many attend your retirement cake cutting. Hopefully they'll forget to call the fire dept. You have proven that you don't deserve such an honor. You, sir, are a small c.

Latest resources

Back