• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 60 informal poll

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Abolish the Age 60 Rule for other that Part 91 pilots?

• Yea

Votes: 668 35.5%
  • Nay

Votes: 1,214 64.5%

• Total voters
ICAO age comes with ICAO medical testing

ICAO age standards will come with ICAO medical standards.

Take a look at the Australian medical standards brief outline below. Notice the drastic differences between the FAA part 67 class I which is basically a paperwork exercise verse what real medical testing looks like in Australia. Notice the 25 year old age requirements for advanced testing compared to the FAA's 35 year old requirements.

The Australian's start at age 25 and do seven ECG's till age 40 while the FAA would only require two, one at 35 and then at 40. And notice the FAA's 35 year old testing scheme does not include the blood work the 25 year old Australian standards require every five years and then annually after 40. The FAA never requires blood work on an initial or recurrent.

Also notice the differences in the Australian standards between the initial and the recurrent that are unlike the FAA's standards of having no difference between an initial and recurrent.

Plus the Australian class One is the only medical certificate Multi-Crew Pilots are authorized to use as opposed to FAA's Class I for captains only and the FAA's Class II for first officers.

And finally while the Australian medical is valid for one year that depends on the judgement of the examiner which are all Ophthalmologists not just regular MD's like the FAA.

For all those that want the ICAO age standards get ready for the ICAO medical standards. And many many careers of the current under 60 year old US pilots will be cut short by the increased medical testing not to mention all the age 60 and over pilots that will be unable to pass. And did you notice the EXTRA scrutiny of the over 60 crowd in the below Australian standards?

And I am sure that the 30,000 medical waivers a year the FAA issues are not issued by the ICAO medical standards.

Australian Medical certificate requirements

Classes of Medical Certificates for Licence Types

There are three medical standards relating to the various types of licences held. These three standards relate to Class 1, 2 and 3 Medical Certificates.
Class 1
This medical standard is applicable to all professional technical aircrew of powered aircraft, and is required for issue of Airline Transport Pilot Licence, Commercial Pilot Licence, Flight Engineer or Flight Navigator Licences.
Class 2
This medical standard is applicable to Student Pilot, Private Pilot, Commercial Pilot Balloons and Flight Radio Operator Licences.
Class 3
This medical standard is applicable to Air Traffic Services Officers (Air Traffic Controllers and Flight Service Officers). Duration of Validity

Unless otherwise advised by the Aviation Medicine Section:
  • Class 1 Medical Certificate is valid for one year.
  • Class 2 Medical Certificate is valid for four years, for applicants less than 40 years of age on the day of issue, and in all other cases for two years.
  • Class 3 Medical Certificate is valid for two years.
Where an applicant's medical condition is under review, the duration of Medical Certificate validity may be varied at the discretion of the Director of Aviation Medicine.

Special Reports and Tests Required for Class 1, 2 and 3 Certificates

These tests are in addition to the standard medical examination.

Class 1 Initial Issue ECG, audiogram, estimation of fasting serum lipids and fasting blood glucose and an examination by CASA Designated Aviation Ophthalmologist.Class 1Renewals ECGs are required at the first renewal after the 25th, 30th, 32nd, 34th, 36th, 38th and 40th birthdays, and annually thereafter.
Audiograms are required at the first renewal after the 25th birthday and every fifth birthday thereafter.
Estimation of fasting serum lipids and of fasting blood glucose is required at the first renewal after the 25th birthday and every fifth birthday thereafter.

Examination by CASA Designated Aviation Ophthalmologist at age 60 and at two-yearly intervals thereafter.

I did my first CASA (Australian) Class 1 last year at the advanced age of 34 and it was an eye-opener. All in all it took about 2 days to get done and cost around US$300. They checked everything; Blood, ECG, hearing, full vision test and although I had to rename one of credit cards, the CASA card, I did feel as if I got my money's worth.

I did a CAA (UK) class 1 years ago and that took half a day and a fair chunk of cash aswell.

How do you like them apples, Undauntedflyer?

The EEOC agrees, Senator Inforhe (OK) agrees, and Australia a perfect ICAO example agrees.

Medical standards will increase with an age limit change.

Last edited:
Well now, looks like our village idiot Klako posted on the USA Today editorial blog that UF posted a link to. You can't miss it, it's halfway down the page, the longest post of the bunch. It's also the same lame rant he's posted on here dozens of times...yawn.

Let's Talk Medical Standards

Medical Standards to increase with age 65!

This is just the standard scare tactic of those who want to stop the unstopable change to age 65.

There is no basis for this belief except as a means to try and stop the change. And that tactic just won't work.

I have personally spoken with the FAA chief areomedical surgeon several times on this subject. The answer is NO CHANGE. Let me say that again, NO CHANGE.

There is no shortage of pilots in the US. Not only that, but there's no shortage of QUALIFIED pilots in the US. Can't say the same about many ICAO states... As such, there's no safety reason to change the rule in the US, only economic. Is that a good enough reason to potentially jeopardize public safety? I don't think so.

Freight Dog: This just isn't so. The regional airline F/O's are all qualified but they all lack the experienced of their senior captains. Klako is a very experienced Regional captain and I'm sure his experience enhances safety to a great degree at his airline. If he has to retire, it will be a great loss to the passengers and their safety. Experience comes one day at a time and it can not be obtained any faster than that. The LEX accident was the result of a lack of experience. The Calie accident was from a lack of experience. The LIT accident was from a lack of experience. The A300 accident in NYC was from a lack of experience. And not long ago my two F/O's were fully ready to allow me to taxi to and takeoff from a runway that was too short. The reason: A lack of experience and knowledge regarding the fact that the last portion of that runway was closed for construction. It was the experience of a senior captain that prevented what could have been a serious situation. Just the other day, I chose to fly the leg to SFO because I was well aware of the possibility of flying close parallel visuals to the 28’s. And sure enough it was just that. My formation experience told me that the guy in the left seat must fly that approach to 28R. Then there was the visual approach to 35L at DEN, when my international F/O lined up on the left side for the 34’s. All of these situations demonstrate crew concept and how it is experience that counts more than anything else.

So let me say this for certain: EXPERIENCE COUNTS, AND THERE IS NOTHING ELSE LIKE IT THAT WILL ENHANCE SAFETY TO SUCH A DEGREE.

Freight Dog: This just isn't so. The regional airline F/O's are all qualified but they all lack the experienced of their senior captains. Klako is a very experienced Regional captain and I'm sure his experience enhances safety to a great degree at his airline. If he has to retire, it will be a great loss to the passengers and their safety. Experience comes one day at a time and it can not be obtained any faster than that. The LEX accident was the result of a lack of experience. The Calie accident was from a lack of experience. The LIT accident was from a lack of experience. The A300 accident in NYC was from a lack of experience. And not long ago my two F/O's were fully ready to allow me to taxi to and takeoff from a runway that was too short. The reason: A lack of experience and knowledge regarding the fact that the last portion of that runway was closed for construction. It was the experience of a senior captain that prevented what could have been a serious situation. Just the other day, I chose to fly the leg to SFO because I was well aware of the possibility of flying close parallel visuals to the 28’s. And sure enough it was just that. My formation experience told me that the guy in the left seat must fly that approach to 28R. Then there was the visual approach to 35L at DEN, when my international F/O lined up on the left side for the 34’s. All of these situations demonstrate crew concept and how it is experience that counts more than anything else.

So let me say this for certain: EXPERIENCE COUNTS, AND THERE IS NOTHING ELSE LIKE IT THAT WILL ENHANCE SAFETY TO SUCH A DEGREE.

How anyone even sits next to you with an ego so off the scale is a miracle. That post is equal to 5 posts of klako's bullsh*t. I'm glad you're out there single-handedly keeping United's fleet flying. I'd love to see your FO's expression when there's a unexpected parallel approach into SFO on "his" leg and you have to take that big ole bird from away from that little child that's had the pleasure of sharing your cockpit.

:laugh:

What a fool you are.

Like I said... Enjoy your retirement. The rule may change, but it's over for you. Thank goodness for that. :beer:

There is growing shortage of qualified pilots in the US. This will much like the redefinition seen on the entry-level jobs over the past 18 months. With the recalls at the majors continuing, with the majors starting to look for new hires, and growth in the Fractional and corporate job market, pressure will be placed upon the existing pilot pool. We will start seeing the effects in the spring as the competitive mins at the upper level airlines are redefined.

Why are you young guys so afraid of changes to the FAA medical? Seems like more stringent medical qualifications will weed out the weak and give you a faster upgrade. The old guys won't even be able to walk up the stairs to get to the doctors office so their medicals will expire, faster upgrade. You young studs will prosper and increase flying safety. It's all about safety isn't it? If you can't pass a real physical you need to retire and let the young healthy guys have your seat. I don't want you endangering my family because you can't pass a physical. It is all about safety isn't it?

The regional airline F/O's are all qualified but they all lack the experienced of their senior captains. Klako is a very experienced Regional captain and I'm sure his experience enhances safety to a great degree at his airline. If he has to retire, it will be a great loss to the passengers and their safety. Experience comes one day at a time and it can not be obtained any faster than that. The LEX accident was the result of a lack of experience. The Calie accident was from a lack of experience. The LIT accident was from a lack of experience. The A300 accident in NYC was from a lack of experience. And not long ago my two F/O's were fully ready to allow me to taxi to and takeoff from a runway that was too short. The reason: A lack of experience and knowledge regarding the fact that the last portion of that runway was closed for construction. It was the experience of a senior captain that prevented what could have been a serious situation. Just the other day, I chose to fly the leg to SFO because I was well aware of the possibility of flying close parallel visuals to the 28’s. And sure enough it was just that. My formation experience told me that the guy in the left seat must fly that approach to 28R. Then there was the visual approach to 35L at DEN, when my international F/O lined up on the left side for the 34’s. All of these situations demonstrate crew concept and how it is experience that counts more than anything else.

Wow, that's quite an ego you have there Captain. Or shall we bow down and address you as "Master and Commander" or some other grand title that befits your awe inspiring experience and status? And how about this, were you born with 20,000 hrs PIC or did you have to do time in the right seat to gain some of that precious experience? But alas, your profile shows only 17,500 hr... and that's after 37 years? That isn't much, sounds like you're a green, inexperienced low timer to me... but what do I know, I'm only 37 with 15,000 hrs. Just a young, inexperienced junior punk, right?

Seriously, why'd you even bother with a post like that? We all know that the only thing you really care about is the cash... that and keeping your almighty ass in the left seat so that your ego may be properly stroked.

What a tool...

Latest resources

Back