• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 60 informal poll

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Abolish the Age 60 Rule for other that Part 91 pilots?

• Yea

Votes: 668 35.5%
  • Nay

Votes: 1,214 64.5%

• Total voters
Right on! I keep telling these dumb sob's here at SWA it aint gonna last forever. All I know is it will be pretty miserable for any guy over 60 that i have to fly with if this pos passes. SAVE your call till the 13 Nov.

ditto

if this passes and you are over 60...let's just say the trips won't be treats. happy halloween old timers. you are going to be the persona non grata of the industry.

Age 60 is history. It's a done deal. It's going up, probably to 65 so get used to it.

If you plan on giving some captain a hard time or not doing your job like you're supposed to because he's over sixty, and you're causing a hostile or unsafe work environment then you should also prepare to be kicked off of trips and explaining your actions to your CP.

over 60

If he's over 60 I expect hazardous duty pay compensation if i'm the F.O. Otherwise, I expect the senior citizen to be in the right seat; if the rule mandates an assisted living F.O. who is under 60 to help the oldtimer, then the 60+ guy really ought not be the captain. Age is an issue.

If neither of the above happen, expect things to be not-so-rosy for any airline pilots over 60. They will not be popular. Trust me. They may get their way as far as the law is concerned...but they better not falter on the line.

if this passes and you are over 60...let's just say the trips won't be treats. happy halloween old timers. you are going to be the persona non grata of the industry.

Son, if you were flying with me it would be a treat even if I knew you had fought the change. I flew with enough AHs before there was such a thing as CRM to make sure that there is a relaxed professional cockpit. If you want to have a beer and dinner, fine, if not that is also fine.

Now if an overt attitude problem that is causing problems you will be removed from the trip. The Chief Pilot and the VP of OPS can decide your future.:(

Condescending

Yes sir. I am sorry sir. Please forgive me sir. You know what foxhunter....that is my attitude...and the first time you doze off or miss a crossing restriction I will be the one to go to the chief...to tell him that I think you need medical evaluation and that you may be suffering from senility or some other condition that I think is preventing you from doing your job. Yes sir. Aye Aye skipper.

Stay awake. Don't mess up. You'll be just fine old timer.

Yes sir. I am sorry sir. Please forgive me sir. You know what foxhunter....that is my attitude...and the first time you doze off or miss a crossing restriction I will be the one to go to the chief...to tell him that I think you need medical evaluation and that you may be suffering from senility or some other condition that I think is preventing you from doing your job. Yes sir. Aye Aye skipper.

Stay awake. Don't mess up. You'll be just fine old timer.

What can I say son? Good Luck?:beer:

Hmm!! Guys forced back into a position they really don't want to be. You couple that with the fact that many of those pilots have a very large sick bank that will be lost once they do retire. :beer: Most sick leave by over age 60 S/Os is probably due to eye problems, they can't see going too work.:D
First of all, no one was forced to the engineer panel when they turned 60.

Secondly, do you mean to tell me that these pilots were calling in sick en masse when they really weren't sick? Why? Because they wanted to other things than fly? But the reason they want to stay is to fly, but then why the sick call. Maybe they were just being dishonest and lying to the company to pad their retirement. I'm sure that testimony would look good in front of Congress.

Age Caveat

Foxhunter. For once, answer the question:

If age isn't an issue why the caveat under 60 with over 60?

If age is an issue then come up and propose something better than simply changing a number. The new rule won't make the skies safer. That is my beef. It may make the skies less safe. I have a problem with that. This isn't about greenbacks for me. For you it is. You have said so in previous posts. That is evil motive.

Last edited:
First of all, no one was forced to the engineer panel when they turned 60.

Secondly, do you mean to tell me that these pilots were calling in sick en masse when they really weren't sick? Why? Because they wanted to other things than fly? But the reason they want to stay is to fly, but then why the sick call. Maybe they were just being dishonest and lying to the company to pad their retirement. I'm sure that testimony would look good in front of Congress.

They have a choice, be a S/O, or retire. Some were over 50 when hired ex military, ex EAL etc. Just pointing out the facts of life. Sick leave abuse is a big problem in the airline industry, it always has been. I've known guys that say they use all the sick bank every year, and therse are guys under age 40. I've heard numerous pilots say that they intend to retire with zero hours of sick pay. If they had a full bank to start with that works out to about 9-10 months pay.

Latest resources

Back