• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 60 informal poll

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Abolish the Age 60 Rule for other that Part 91 pilots?

• Yea

Votes: 668 35.5%
  • Nay

Votes: 1,214 64.5%

• Total voters
To All,
Ask yourself how safe a 64 ½ year old pilot would be flying 6 legs in one day with the last one down to mins, on a short wet runway, with 30 knots of crosswind. Would you trust your family on this flight? Where is the data suggesting this is safe? I give you a hint – there is none.
AA767AV8TOR

I agree that would be unsafe! I would not be at all worried with a 64 1/2 year old Captain because he is wise enough, and experienced enough not to try it!! I have no doubt at your level of experience, no matter how sharp you think you are, if you were Captain my family would be at serious risk in the case you cited.:crying:

That is just one of the reasons the age limit should change.

I agree that would be unsafe! I would not be at all worried with a 64 1/2 year old Captain because he is wise enough, and experienced enough not to try it!! I have no doubt at your level of experience, no matter how sharp you think you are, if you were Captain my family would be at serious risk in the case you cited.:crying:

That is just one of the reasons the age limit should change.

"Your level of experience".

:laugh:

Yea Grampy, those old geezers never make bad decisions, do they?

"Your level of experience".

:laugh:

Yea Grampy, those old geezers never make bad decisions, do they?

Most of us made all the mistakes in the book and had the luck of a good oucome. Most never make the same mistake twice. That is what is refered to as "experience".:D That sonny is the reason the change in the age will enhance safety.:beer:

Most of us made all the mistakes in the book and had the luck of a good oucome. Most never make the same mistake twice. That is what is refered to as "experience".:D That sonny is the reason the change in the age will enhance safety.:beer:

It will not. You honestly think you can do a consistently better job driving a jet around than a guy that is 59?

Talk about delusional. :rolleyes:

The only reason for the push for this change is that there is an organized group of greedy old (delusional) geezers that want to cherry pick the retirement age when it suits them.

It will not. You honestly think you can do a consistently better job driving a jet around than a guy that is 59?

Talk about delusional. :rolleyes:

The only reason for the push for this change is that there is an organized group of greedy old (delusional) geezers that want to cherry pick the retirement age when it suits them.

Since I just turned 59 not sure how to answer that.:D

stop dealing in reality, this is a pilot board.

Foxhunter is 59 and he thinks he will be able to fly just as well at 65 as he can right now. We're not really worried about the flying...it's more the thinking and listening and processing that breaks down with age. You can see how good he is at this by reading his posts. He won't acknowledge that his skills will deteriorate. That might jeopardize his wallet which is all he cares about. Therefore we should change the law...not logical and not smart but at least he will have more money. Sad.

They are not changing a contract. They are trying to alter a Federal law. One that has been in place for over 40 years and which we were all hired under.
Not all Federal statutes are good, or just, or appropriate to the world we live in today. Most of the guys I fly with...including ones who are adamant against changing the retirement age for the reason you mentioned...nevertheless believe that immigration laws should be changed. Why, I ask? Many of those policies have been in place longer than the retirement age. Why change them now?

And why are we working towards a change in laws dealing with how pensions and labor contracts are handled in bankruptcy? Aren't the laws in place "the ones we were hired under?" Of course they are. But as it turns out, they don't adequately cover all situations, and only a change in the rules affecting everybody will rectify that fact.

"Forty years ago," AA was flying DC-6's, the largest plane in their fleet had about the same capacity as a stretched 737, and it took 10-15 years to make left seat at a junior base. The rules you were hired under were very similar...do you really want to hold fast to them, as well?

Whistlin Dan

Dan

Not all Federal laws are bad either. Age 60 isn't perfect but it is a lot better than the proposal. The unintended consequences of the new law will be a more unsafe air transport system. When you propose something better than Age 60 I will listen. H.R. 65/S. 65 will make things worse. It will be worse for the traveling public and for those of us stuck flying with guys well past their prime. They need to go.

Latest resources

Back