• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 60 informal poll

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Abolish the Age 60 Rule for other that Part 91 pilots?

• Yea

Votes: 668 35.5%
  • Nay

Votes: 1,214 64.5%

• Total voters
Sorry, but what Andy writes is not correct. I do wish it were true but that's not the case for me. But either way what we are talking about here is ending discrimination: Age discrimination and discrimination against Americans.

It won't take me very long to dig up a near exact number of stock shares and cash from the bond sales for you.
You made this issue all about the money long ago when you said that if you hadn't lost your pension, you'd retire. And let's not forget your little plea in the newspaper claiming that you don't know how you'll send your son to college.

You mean you don't see this a discrimination against Americans? What is it then when all the airlines in the world can fly here but not Americans? Even a redneck truck driver with a gun rack in the cab can understand this.

Nah, we see it as you disguising it as "discrimination" when it's really all about the money and your ego.

Again, why is 65 not discrimination but 60 is? Why is it okay to "discriminate" against fellow Americans with such medieval rules like the minimum ages of 17 for the PVT ticket, 18 for Commercial, 23 for ATP; how about the maximum age 30 to hire on as ATC or for an Air Force pilot slot? How about the minimum drinking age, or the minimum age to vote??? Are you gonna whine and complain about how your fellow Americans are so "discriminated" against with these archaic, silly rules?

Oh, wait... no, you won't do that because you don't really give a crap about them. It's all about you and your wallet. And your ego. Quit hiding behind your bullsh!t "discrimination" label and call it what it is; money.

Should discrimination such as the age 60 rule be ended now or later when you're 59? That is the only question? I ask this because we all know and agree, it think, that the law will change sometime. So why wait until you're so lucky? Why not me? Why can't the current group of age 59's get lucky one time? Or is it only you that deserves the luck? Is this now going to be a discussion of who has the hardest luck story?

To Andy: Sure its about economics to an individual, but it's about discrimination against Americnas to others such as the public. This change changes everything and that is why the rule will come into harmony with ICAO very soon. And regarding the money I received from the termination of the A plan, that only represents a small portion of what the A plan should have paid out over a lifetime of retirement. I would certainly take the A plan any day. But as I say, the issue as a whole is not longer about money, that is only for the individual and their decision to retire at 60 or not.

Last edited:
FAA Hiring Back Hundreds Of PATCO Controllers

FAA in the past few months has begun hiring hundreds of former controllers who were fired more than 25 years ago by then-President Ronald Reagan.

Almost all the PATCO controllers being rehired are over 60, because the current controller retirement age of 56 doesn't apply to them.

So how can they do this and still let foreign pilots fly in the US over age 60 but not Americans?

http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?ContentBlockID=3c928a03-f888-42fd-9125-825ef3c0728c

Last edited:
FAA Hiring Back Hundreds Of PATCO Controllers

FAA in the past few months has begun hiring hundreds of former controllers who were fired more than 25 years ago by then-President Ronald Reagan.

Almost all the PATCO controllers being rehired are over 60, because the current controller retirement age of 56 doesn't apply to them.

So how can they do this and still let foreign pilots fly in the US over age 60 but not Americans?

http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?ContentBlockID=3c928a03-f888-42fd-9125-825ef3c0728c

Sounds like they will exclude the current controllers who have to retire at 56. The same thing will happen to the current pilots living under the age 60 rule. As soon as one of those over age 60 FOREIGN pilots crashes, then that will be stopped too. The problem with the ICAO recommendation is that it was done due to LCC expansion in Europe. Not because they had a "change of heart." It was done because they are desperate to find aircrews over there due to huge expansion and lack of pilots. We do not have that problem over here. Nope. Maybe you should change your licences over there and risk some lives over in Europe.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last post, unless I become hugely pi$$ed off again.

I have acted like a complete a-hole toward Undaunted in an attempt to jar loose some form of his former self. It is of no use, he is old and a shell of his former self. He is facing a long, cold winter and he is unprepared so he is going to eat his young. Best thing to do is to keep him sustained for now and hope in five years he won't need to eat another! As he is now, he will provide whatever rational necessary to do it again. The guy fought B scale! I have withheld admitting it, but we should respect him. I feel bad for him! He will be required to have someone younger monitoring him, taking care of him, cleaning up after him. Widebody left seats will be like a nursing home rocking chair!

Maybe he can help us again? Let's hope so, he's bound to exceed our expectations.

Andy: Thanks for the info, nice work. FWIW, I still support furloughs as a first priority. The best UAL has to offer will one day be yours, and it's going to mean a lot more to you than Undaunted. You're the real pro.

Last post, unless I become hugely pi$$ed off again.

I have acted like a complete a-hole toward Undaunted in an attempt to jar loose some form of his former self. It is of no use, he is old and a shell of his former self. He is facing a long, cold winter and he is unprepared so he is going to eat his young. Best thing to do is to keep him sustained for now and hope in five years he won't need to eat another! As he is now, he will provide whatever rational necessary to do it again. The guy fought B scale! I have withheld admitting it, but we should respect him. I feel bad for him! He will be required to have someone younger monitoring him, taking care of him, cleaning up after him. Widebody left seats will be like a nursing home rocking chair!

Maybe he can help us again? Let's hope so, he's bound to exceed our expectations.

Andy: Thanks for the info, nice work. FWIW, I still support furloughs as a first priority. The best UAL has to offer will one day be yours, and it's going to mean a lot more to you than Undaunted. You're the real pro.

Dude you need to get a second job or at least a hobby. The amount of time just to read this crap is amazing let alone the time you must spend typing and replying to every post. I want a job where you work, doesn't sound like much work is required.

Latest resources

Back