• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 60/65 Compromise

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Correct me if I am wrong but I believe that pilots on furlough were allowed to participate in the ALPA survey. If you included the pilots that were forced to retire in the survey, as they should, your numbers would have been very different. Since when do furloughed pilots have more rights that forced to retire pilots?

Actually, furloughees were not allowed to vote either.

Not before we bring the thousands forced to retire back to their jobs, and providing for their families.

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe that pilots on furlough were allowed to participate in the ALPA survey. If you included the pilots that were forced to retire in the survey, as they should, your numbers would have been very different. Since when do furloughed pilots have more rights that forced to retire pilots?
All of those retired pilots knew they would retire at 60 and had time to plan for it. Yes, a lot of them lost most of their pension, but they should have had a back up plan. They are leaving a 6 figure income and have known the day would come their whole career. No person on furlough expected it until 9-11. They had very little time to prepare, and they were probably working off of around 50k. I 100% side with the guys on furlough and say this is absolutely the wrong time to increase the retirement age. Let it die until we get our people back on board and we have somewhat of a recovery. Then bring it up if it's what most want.
BTW, It doesn't matter if there's a "growing list" of people in ALPA in support of the change. What matters is as long as it is 50% plus 1 against it then our union is to represent the majority which says NO!

I have made one observation about age 60 and the safety requirement:
It seems to me that the FAA is very hypocritical about this issue, if flying beyond age 60 is forbidden strictly due to safety reasons, they why is it you can still fly past age 60 in part 91/135 operations? What is the difference, just because you have fewer passengers on board?

I have made one observation about age 60 and the safety requirement:
It seems to me that the FAA is very hypocritical about this issue, if flying beyond age 60 is forbidden strictly due to safety reasons, they why is it you can still fly past age 60 in part 91/135 operations? What is the difference, just because you have fewer passengers on board?
I hadn't thought about that. That's a good point.

A guy at Horizon wants to work beyond 60? A drug test must be forthcoming for probably cause. I am sure Horizon is a great place to work but isn't that a multileg day operation in the challenging weather of the Pac NW? Get me a young guy and keep the codgers somewhere else. That flying is challenging enough and we don't need someon over 60 doing it.

Some people do not belong in the airline pilot profession and from your post, I am certain that this includes you.

I hadn't thought about that. That's a good point.

Kids in Kansas can get their drivers license at age 14 because some live in far off farms and need to drive to school. Why can't all kids get their licenses at age 14? Those kids in Kansas seem to do fine? Could it be a general safety issue? Even kids in Wichita can do it, and that isn't a small city. Someone made the rule, but it sticks everywhere else. It is all about overall safety.

And, Klako knew the rules getting into this job. Time to go hit the golf course pal.

Bye Bye--General Lee

When the U.S. Congress is back in session, it will be busy with Appropriations Bills until the end of this year.

Yep, the Senate was very busy today. Here's a link:
http://www.senate.gov/pagelayout/legislative/d_three_sections_with_teasers/calendars.htm

They're looking very busy:

Floor Schedule​

Monday, Nov 13, 2006

2: 00 p.m.: Convene and begin a period of morning business.

Previous Meeting
Thursday, Nov 9, 2006
The Senate convened at 10: 00 a.m. and adjourned at 10: 02 a.m. No record votes were taken.

The Senate was in session for two minutes today. They start back up on Monday at a brutally early time of 2 PM.
Yep, at this rate, they'll be pumping out those nine appropriations bills (HR 5384, HR 5672, HR 5427, HR 5522, HR 5386, HR5647/S3708, HR 5221, HR 5385, and your beloved HR 5576) in no time.

Klako, dashtrash stated that you turn 60 in the first half of December. You obviously haven't done the math for the amendment in HR 5576. It states that the FAA has 30 days AFTER the ICAO rule change to implement the change in the US - it's not going to pass anyway, so this is purely an academic exercise. The ICAO rule change takes place on 23 Nov. Add 30 days and you're at 23 Dec. Dude, even IF this passed, you'd be too old. Time to put down the crack pipe and move on with your life.

Last edited:
Klako, dashtrash stated that you turn 60 in the first half of December. You obviously haven't done the math for the amendment in HR 5576. It states that the FAA has 30 days AFTER the ICAO rule change to implement the change in the US - it's not going to pass anyway, so this is purely an academic exercise. The ICAO rule change takes place on 23 Nov. Add 30 days and you're at 23 Dec. Dude, even IF this passed, you'd be too old. Time to put down the crack pipe and move on with your life.

Andy, I want to know why is it so important for you to gloat over the fact that I may have only a slim chance of being employed past my 60 birthday?

I was going to give you credit for presenting some good arguments on this subject, however, when it comes down to civility, you are nothing more than a poor excuse for a human being.

Latest resources

Back