• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 60/65 Compromise

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
MRFLYER may just be realistic enough to know he won't be able to cut the new medical standards.

Klako, do you think you will be able to pass a medical after new standards are applied? And higher standards will be applied contrary to your anticipated no they won't line?

I would welcome increased medical standards. Some of the 30, 40, 50 year old pilots that I know are in pathetic physical shape, over weight, smoke, don’t eat right, etc. They should not be flying.

I have every reason to believe that I will be able to pass any legitimate flight physical and flight proficiency test long after age 65. I have always tried to take care of myself. I can still max the Army’s Physical Fitness Test at age 59. My Cholesterol is 126/60; BP- 110/70, perfect hearing. However, since age 45, I have had to use glasses to read fine print in dim light.

If you have no interest in flying past age 60, then I believe that you are in the wrong profession, get out now.

uh, i'm 24 and i have every intention to retire early. I want to spend my twilight years flying around in my little airplane playing with the grandkids. That's my perogative. If i want to fly til 60 or whatever it'll be in 36 years then that's my decision too. You are wrong about being in the wrong profession. Not everyone is like you, not everyone is like me.

Just so you know, I'm against the 60 change. Most of the guys i fly with are in the 55-59 age range and I'd say from what they've said about 30% dont know if they'd fly past 60, then it's about 70-30 between the rest that say they're not interested in flying past 60.

There are a few that say they would and want to, but from the guys i've flown with, most are tired of it.

We will soon see about that. Get ready, the age 60 rule will change and soon.

Please share you B-day so we can all watch with interest you being pulled from the cockpit kicking and screaming. Again you think expansion alone put you in the left seat? That shows you are lacking in a mental capacity to retain your command. You should be drug tested and early retired ASAP.

What was the retirement age when you hired on? Were you yelling discrimination back then?

I earned my left seat and no one has the right to take that away from me. I earned my up-grade to Captain as a result of company expansion and not as a result of even one pilot being forced to retire.

I love my current job and if you really believe that I should be forced out just so some junior pilot can get promoted earlier, I will say to you, GO TO H%#& !

If you have no interest in flying past age 60, then I believe that you are in the wrong profession, get out now.

Bye Klako. Pilots in England are doing it (going to the right seat at age 60), and if you wanted to "keep funding your 401K or flying until SS age", then you wouldn't mind. But, you are greedy and want to keep flying in the left seat no matter what, and you didn't even help your past Captains stay when they retired. No, you just let them go and moved over to the left seat. Well, it may be golf course time for you. Bye.

Bye Bye-General Lee

What is your opinion on ruining otherwise successful careers

I would welcome increased medical standards. Some of the 30, 40, 50 year old pilots that I know are in pathetic physical shape, over weight, smoke, don’t eat right, etc. They should not be flying.

.....I can still max the Army’s Physical Fitness Test at age 59. My Cholesterol is 126/60; BP- 110/70, perfect hearing.......

It is clear you are one of the near 60 pilots that is an exception to the age issue concerning the group as a whole, but why should you have the right to continue to fly longer while booting those 30, 40, and 50 year old pilots that are not as fit but would otherwise lead a successful career till age 60 under the current system?

Latest resources

Back