• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Africa Advice

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not sure what you are flying but Gran Canaria is a nice place for a crew swap.
Where in Zambia is the boss planning to go?
Might be a bit of a long trip with just a 2 man crew but if you augment you might think about Sal in the Cape Verde Islands. Have not been there in a few years but it was a pretty quick turn.

Jet,

The routing really depends on what you are flying. I have done it a couple of times in a Lear. Once a 25 and the other time a 35. The 25 to Narobi and the 35 to Luanda, Angola. Have been to Zambia many times. As a former British colony they are toward the top of the heap as far as African counttries go. The hotels are reasonably good. Your best bet is the Intercontinental or the Sabena Hotel. It will be a paperwork suffle gttting in and out. Stay out of Angola, Congo (both), Nigeria and Liberia. Central African Republic used to be OK, I don't know how it is now. But there you need to know what the French Franc to USD conversation is. Abajan Ivory Coast is usually good, as it Cassablanca. Some places do take credit cards, usually major hotels and the like. Use a Handler. I have had good luck with Universal. In the lower level African countries, CASH is King. especially USD. Everyone takes USD down there, but be aware that counterfitting is rampent there. Keep your cash in small bundles and separate. Don't show a lot of cash.

Be good and don't f--k around. AIDS is very high over there. Even a full body condom doesn't protect you.

Rick's advice is good. Act with respect but authoritive. Even in the countries like Nigeria and others, things are not as bad as made out to be if you just take the attitude that this is an adventure and do not expect things to be like here. Stay alert, do not carry cash more than you think you will need for what you are doing. Most of the better hotels can and will give you good advice and you can get a car and driver to stay with you if you want to go out.
You are going a long way, take the opportunity to learn about another culture and people. You can hear all the horror stories but the fact is many people go there and come back and do not have any great problems. You have a better chance of getting ripped in Mexico or San Paulo than Africa.

Jet:

Might want to take a look at the Flight Safety Foundation for crew rest and or crew swap. Going from the midwest to Africa crosses I am sure exceeds 12 hours with more than 2 legs.

If anything show his the Flight Safety Foundation report. After he reads it you can always say ... "How does it look at the hearing if we are going against convential wisdom."

http://www.flightsafety.org/members/serveme.cfm/?path=/fsd/fsd_feb97.pdf

You will need a password, but it is free.

Once I used this to back up my arguement, I never had a problem with extra crews or overnights.

Throw all this out if you are planning to stay the night in the Azores. I hear they are a nice place to overnight in.

Man, you guys sound like a bunch of women!! It's not that bad. I would second the Grand Canaria stop......awesome locaal!

The Boss is planning on going to Zambia next month.
Does anyone have advice. ? Thinking of going with just two pilots; just fuel stops from midwest area. Heck, I don't even know if my phone will work over there, any advice??

Thanks in advance,
JD

I've been through Egypt, Morocco, Kenya and Tanzania. I might be taking a Challenger to Zambia at the end of the month (FLLI and FLLS). The only problem I had was in HTKJ (Kilimanjaro) they would not take a credit card. We had cash in a safe on the GIV for just this occasion. Also, over the Sudan there is only HF, and everyone is on the radio so it's like a unicom freq. on a summer afternoon. It's easier to cross over Iran than Africa. Communications are "in and out".

Bring cash. We had 10,000$
Bring a trip kit. Pepto, imodium etc.
Bring bottled water and use it for just about everything.
Bring food. I had to live on beef jerky and canned tuna for 12 days once.
Get your shots and your malaria pills.
Get a good handler like Universal or Air Routing Etc.
Get an English speaking driver to take you to and from your hotel.

I got mugged in Nairobi one time...not fun. I did everything the handler told me not to and my luck ran out. Don't just go driving around, if the car breaks down you could be in trouble. Be careful and pay attention to whats going on around you.

Then when you get there, sit back and have a Tusker or a Safari beer for me.
Watch out for the Safari beer...two Safari's and believe me YOU will be on Safari.

Have fun.

Empenage is dead on in my experience. HF continues to be the weak link as either you cant get a word in, or some countries have the volume turned down, are watching TV or taking a nap.

Cash is king, but dont let them know you have it until all other options are expended. Internationally recognized handlers that can do things on account for you help greatly, but have self handled (as much as you can) and did ok.

also make sure the USDs are 1993 or better, huge counterfeit ring years ago means anything b4 93 is useless in most african countries.

I fly cargo into Africa frequently, and I agree with most of the posts, if you try to renegade into Africa you open yourself to many precarious situations. $38 usd for a 6 pack of coke, and a $21,000usd turn in ABJ (DC-10). Corruption and exploitation is rampant and standard.

I would think a reputable ground handling agency is key.

Tmobile or Cingular and you will have access (need to activate international option), but it costs around $5/min in most countries.

Latest resources

Back