• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AFP on CBS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I watched the show and thought it was really cool! I don't have a military background so I'm not sure how realistic it is, but I will definitely tune in next week!

I checked out that website for the show. Did anyone else notice that the guys over at CBS don't know how to count? According to the pilots bios Mike Love was born October 19th, 1970, but some how he is only 28 years old. And Marcus Gregory was born March 3rd, 1970, but his bio later states that he is 25. Come on guys, get it together!

BoneHead

Not to spoil the show, but Lt. Giggy does pass his sim check. I was in the 95th FS when the show was being taped. Instead of Giggy riding in on his motorcycle, maybe he should have caught a wave and surfed in. Just Kidding! Mr. Bones (Death with Finesse)

Re: BoneHead

airmack said:
Not to spoil the show, but Lt. Giggy does pass his sim check. I was in the 95th FS when the show was being taped.

"Not to spoil the show,...." exactly what did you think you were doing by posting that other than spoiling the show for us? Can the prophecies, please. I am from a place where Monday Night Football is tape delayed. Nothing like an Einstein walking in the sports bar spouting off "not to spoil the game, but San Francisco wins" ....a crime punishable by ungee bungee.... Gee thanks....

airmack,

Since you are not spoiling the show, what does Googy, er. Giggy, or whatever he thinks his name is end up with for a "callsign?"

My info's a little dated, having last taught at Tyndall 5 years ago, but I doubt that things have changed much, so here goes:

Hugh Jordan -- You're right, these three guys in no way represent a cross section of a typical B-course. I wouldn't be surprised if Love and Gregory were the only two Capts in the class -- there were usually only one or two. Giggy also isn't typical being a newlywed -- the majority of the Lts are single. You can see that CBS is going for the human interest side to get as much "family" involvement as possible. If they'd followed a typical single Lt b-course student around they'd have gotten Squadron--Gym--Bar--
Q-room --- not exactly something you can build a 1/2 season show around.

1900cpt -- There was a guy like Giggy that showed up in about 1/2 the classes -- watched Top Gun one too many times I guess. The IPs would zero in on him pretty quickly for an "attitude adjustment." A good B-courser has to be confident, but also has to be a sponge -- there's just too much information in too little time. Too much cockiness and they just don't absorb everything they need to.
Now what's not typical at all is Giggy's performance so far. It was VERY rare for a student to bust an academic test -- they were in-depth, but not at all tricky. The guys that failed tended to be ones that didn't put in the required study time (too much time waterskiing at Mexico Beach and playing with the new wife, I guess). The other rarity is the two sim busts prior to the first flight -- just didn't happen (even though Monte Cooper has a reputation as one the most "demanding" sim instructors).
With all that, my money's that Giggy's going to make it through the program. There's no way CBS is going to have one of the "stars" wash out in the first two or three episodes. Now I'm not in the know at all (been non-flying for 2 years now), but it wouldn't suprise me if Giggy ends up getting one of the awards at graduation -- stranger things have happened.

Just my opinions,

Zulu

"Free the Stop Loss Hostages"

zulua320,

kinda figured cbs was just hyping it up so we would all tune in next week. Like airmack said...he passes, no surprise there. I too would not be surprised if Giggy wins an awrd....that would be par for the show.....guy sucked in the beginning but pulled through.....yee ha! my hero!!

Cant bust on giggy too much...his wife is pretty hot!(just my opinion...dont take it for anymore than just that)

1900cpt;)

i really like the concept of this show, but CBS's presentation is pretty lousy. they move the show too fast and don't spend enough time giving in-depth coverage of the process.

they should have done it more like a documentary than an entertainment/reality show. their target is obviously aviation buffs. so how about more details and less pictures???

if i didn't love aviation so much, i would have listened to my girl when she said "let's watch Providence"... lol

:rolleyes:

Somebody help me out here. I think I spaced out while watching the show. Except for the B-1 guy, in this case, is the F-15 the initial asssginment for the rest of these guys out of pilot training? It was my understanding some of these guys were Ip's and the like. Basically, is this the initial assignment out of flight training for most of these guys, and a transfer for others?

I like the S.N.A.P.S term, sensitive new age pilots. Thats classic.

Bayou,
Most of these guys are right out of pilot training. The Basic Course (B-course) is for guys who have never before flown a fighter. If a student has been qualified in another fighter, or is getting requalfied in the Eagle after not flying for a while, he'll go through a transition (TX) course -- considerably shorter, less painful, and can be somewhat tailored to the student's experience and currency. As far as the B-1 guy converting, it used to be fairly rare for a heavy pilot to transition to fighters -- don't know if it's changed recently or not.
So, to make a short answer long -- yes, most of these guys are right out of pilot training.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back