AFP on CBS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey! I know those guys...

It's funny how people you know just keep popping up all over...

I caught AFP about half way through while channel surfing...and realized I knew two of the three dudes (Mike and maybe Marcus)! Mike and I were B-1B copilots until I left to be a T-38 IP, and I believe Marcus was a student at Laughlin AFB (don't remember if I flew with him or not) when I was a T-38 IP at Laughlin... I remember both those guys being pretty sharp dudes. Glad they got 15s... Me, I don't have enough brain cells left for a 15... :)

FastCargo

Having been trough two AETC courses: one as Enlisted (F-15 Crew Chief), and one as an Officer (ICBM Launch Officer), the later with a 25% washout rate, I have noticed one thing missing:

There has been no “Come to Jesus meeting” or “but chewing”. The instructors are treating “Giggy” very easily. Poor Giggy, we hope he does better. I think this is because of the cameras. I suspect when the cameras disappear, the instructors will act differently.

We had a guy like this in my class at the schoolhouse, the instructors dropped him. Now he’s pushing paper as a Finance Officer.

I know ICBMs are different from the flying world and we tend to eat our own, but Giggy does need an attitude adjustment.

FamilyMan

I heard a rumor that CBS might be cancelling this program. Has anyone else heard this? I hope this isn't true - I thought it was a great show!

I

Don't know if you remember "The Mole 2..." That show was cancelled after airing twice... but that was ABC.

I hope they don't cancel AFP. It's a good show... could use some work, but still good.

CBS has announced that they are cancelling AFP after two episodes, also. There is additional information on a couple of other threads.

I read the USA today that American Fighter pilot is slated to be cancelled, unfortunately. I think it was aired on the wrong day. Friday night... most ppl are out to dinner, watching a movie, etc... I'm sure if CBS could find a middle of the week time slot, it's ratings would go up and more people would watch it.

Young, cocky LT's.

Seems like most of them were in the Navy. I remeber one LT in our crew that his dad was a frigin Admiral. Had bases named after him, blah blah....don't remeber the name so it wasn't that important....anyway he acted the same way. Came in, thought he knew everything, butted heads with the Capt a few times, and wham.......pushing paperwork.

Right before he left, a LT Commander broke is nose in a bar one night. Real gem.

Too bad the show is getting cancelled if that's true. I will watch anything airplanes, as long as it has some real reality to it.

Maybe CBS will bring the show back this summer???

From AOPA e-pilot:

'AMERICAN FIGHTER PILOT' GOES DOWN IN FLAMES
After only two episodes in a planned series of eight, the CBS reality
show
"American Fighter Pilot" is on "hiatus" because of low ratings. The TV
jargon means that the show may return this summer, according to a CBS
spokesman. The show featured three men from different walks of life who
were in training to become F-15 fighter pilots at Tyndall Air Force
Base
in Florida. The second episode ended in a cliffhanger where one of the
pilots, Lt. Todd Giggy, lost the brakes in the F-15 during landing on
his
first fighter flight. CBS wanted viewers to tune in the following week
to
see if he and his instructor survived. Then the show went off the air.
An
Air Force spokesman said the brake emergency was handled correctly by
using
an arresting cable, and that all three pilots passed their training and
entered the Air Force fighter pilot roster. The show was taped nearly
two
years ago, with follow-up filming completed last winter.

Latest resources

Back