Aeronca Thrust Reversers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bubble

How do Aeronca thrust reversers work on the Lear 35? Do they redirect all of the air coming out of the tailpipes or just the fan air?

Thanks!

Hum... forgot but they will kill you if you don't EMER STOW them asap on a takeoff roll

High pressure bleed air moves a cascading mechanism which allows the end of the tailpipe to slide aft. Blocker doors also actuate and the air from the high bypass side is directed out of the vanes.

Clear as mud?

Nope. When the blocker doors close they divert all exhaust (bypass duct and core exhaust ) into the cascade vanes which redirect it forward.

Last edited:
Are they really as bad as everyone says they are?

It's not they they are "BAD" in terms of being effective, as a matter of fact, just the opposite, they are very effective. The problem with them is they require a lot of MX (lubrication of the rails the Cascades slide on, blocker doors, etc). Also, since they are actuated via bleed air, depending on the aircraft, when you ask for reverse power, the T/R's have to get the air from some place, and that can take a little longer than you want at times. So if the bleeds are still on in the cabin, for example, the T/R will probably take away from those and route it to the T/Rs. At least that is how it was in the LR55 that I flew for about 6 weeks in my 1st job. I don't know that the systems were set up that way, but you could hear it happening. Also, they both have to be working to use. For example, on a single engine landing, you ahve to bring the dead engine out of cut off just to use the remaining T/R. Also, if the vanes dont deploy, you usually know that because the plane starts accelerating again when it should be slowing!

And why then are the buckets so much better?
The 'Target" type or buckets are extremely effective as well. What's nice about them is that when they are deployed, even at idle thrust, they are working aerodynamically. They deploy into the airstream, so even when you just "crack" them, they are grabbing a chunk of air and slowing the aircraft or at least keeping it from accelerating. The system is very simple as well. Most have an "emergency stow" button incase of inflight deployment. This Gulfstream is the 1st plane I have flown that does not have that feature. If the T/R deploys, it'll either rip off or the other engine has enough raw power to handle it's BID-ness.

Someone might have a better answer for you than what I just threw out there, but that has been my understanding of the systems, and it seems to have worked well for me.

Last edited:
The aeroncas aren't particularly effective, do fail to deploy, fail to retract, and have been known to inadvertantly deploy...there hasn't been a case of that happening with the dee howard.

A lot of folks prefer the clean configuration with no T/R's. I've flown all of them, prefer the dee howard, and prefer the slick airplane sans the reversers, after that.

I liked the 35s with DeeHowards better

Aeroncas never came out evenly, always made for more work....to the point where nobody used them and that likely made them worse..

When I was in the lear we didn't even test them prior to flight because if you did you were just asking for it to not retract . . . Just not reliable, kind of like the old Lear itself. Fun plane to fly, but I don't really miss it either

Latest resources

Back