• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Aeronca Thrust Reversers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm sure that there are mechanics out there that can keep the aeroncas in good working order. Ours can not. We do not even use them anymore because it was leading to so many break downs on the road. I can't tell you how many times I have had to shut down an engine after using them on landing and one would just be stuck fully deployed. I've also aborted two takeoffs because right after t/o power was set the horn and unlock light on one of them would activate. Not fun.

It's been a million years since I last flew a 35 with Aeronca's, but I've got close to 3,000 hours in them. We suffered through all of the problems that go along with Aeronca's and ended up pinning them for most of our flights until we came upon a Lear maintenance guru. (Who just happened to live down the street from me.) This guy started turning wrenches for Bill Lear back in 1965 and had spent his entire career working on Lears. He had our Aeroncas tuned up and working properly in less than one day. After that, we never had another problem with them in close to 2000 hours of flight time. Believe it or not, the big problem was excess lubrication. ("If this much is good, this much more has to be better, and here's some more just to be sure...") After that, all they ever needed was the routine stuff on the inspections. They worked great.

Once we got the maintenance issues sorted out with them I actually preferred them to the Dee Howards - they were much more effective.

LS

I know you guys are talking 30 series TR's, but the 25's with Dee Howards, ohhhhhh man, now that was fun stuff!

Latest resources

Back