• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Aeronautical Pet Peeves

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Aerodrome, you are so determined to make my comments into something racial or ethnic, that you are totally missing every point I was making. If you were actually reading what I was writing, instead of just reacting emotionally,maybe you could have better understood my points, or just reacted maturely and told me how you disagreed.

I did not say "Asians" as in all Asians. I was most specifically referring to "low time" pilots, and I took great pains to specify that.

Am I wrong that aviation is most places, especially countries in Asia, is much more restrictive and with much less general aviation than the US?

That was most of my point right there. There is no way I could have meant all Asians ethnically, when I was pointing out that even low time pilots from India were fine to fly with, if they had a chance to fly in the US and be in a different kind of system than what they have.

Have you done much general aviation flying in that part of the world? I have, and its a MUCH different process than in the US, and much much more controlled. If you disagree with that, then tell me.

One of my points was that low time pilots in countries in that part of the world, have less decision making abilities compared to a similar time American pilot, because an American pilot getting their hours has alot more chances to use and develop aeronautical decisionmaking. When I did some flying in that part of the world, you can forget about such things we take for granted, like proverbial 100 dollar hamburgers, or packing your friends into a Cessna or Piper and flying somewhere for the hell of it. Those flights outside of highly structured lesson plans are often where you do a lot of your learning at that point in aviation.

How many different airports has a 300 hour American pilot been to, compared to a 300 hour Indian pilot. Probably more, and again IT IS NOT A RACIAL THING, SO DO NOT MAKE IT INTO IT. Its a factor of opportunities available to us here, and the lack of there. A low time pilot getting their ratings probably has not had many flights that were not part of highly structured lesson plans.

If you disagree, go about it maturely, and leave the name calling behind.

People who say "Uncontrolled Airport" There is no such thing...Airports are "Towered" or "Non-Towered" not "Controlled" or "Uncontrolled"

I'll second the PHX controllers.....seem to always be way to busy to handle a seminole...

414Flyer said:
Aerodrome, you are so determined to make my comments into something racial or ethnic, that you are totally missing every point I was making. If you were actually reading what I was writing, instead of just reacting emotionally,maybe you could have better understood my points, or just reacted maturely and told me how you disagreed.

I did not say "Asians" as in all Asians. I was most specifically referring to "low time" pilots, and I took great pains to specify that.

Am I wrong that aviation is most places, especially countries in Asia, is much more restrictive and with much less general aviation than the US?

That was most of my point right there. There is no way I could have meant all Asians ethnically, when I was pointing out that even low time pilots from India were fine to fly with, if they had a chance to fly in the US and be in a different kind of system than what they have.

Have you done much general aviation flying in that part of the world? I have, and its a MUCH different process than in the US, and much much more controlled. If you disagree with that, then tell me.

One of my points was that low time pilots in countries in that part of the world, have less decision making abilities compared to a similar time American pilot, because an American pilot getting their hours has alot more chances to use and develop aeronautical decisionmaking. When I did some flying in that part of the world, you can forget about such things we take for granted, like proverbial 100 dollar hamburgers, or packing your friends into a Cessna or Piper and flying somewhere for the hell of it. Those flights outside of highly structured lesson plans are often where you do a lot of your learning at that point in aviation.

How many different airports has a 300 hour American pilot been to, compared to a 300 hour Indian pilot. Probably more, and again IT IS NOT A RACIAL THING, SO DO NOT MAKE IT INTO IT. Its a factor of opportunities available to us here, and the lack of there. A low time pilot getting their ratings probably has not had many flights that were not part of highly structured lesson plans.

If you disagree, go about it maturely, and leave the name calling behind.

I've never said you are a racist. I said you were stereotyping (there's a difference). Having said that, I'm glad you've clearified your position. I just wish you had done so on your initial post on this topic. Go back to that post and read it again. You can't tell me that one's impression would not be that of referring to Asians in general based on how you worded it. But, like I said, I'm glad we now have better understanding of each other.

I have experienced GA in other countries. And what you've said is mostly correct. Which is why there are so many foreign pilots training here in the US. However, I do disagree on your "low time pilots" theory to some degree. While your general idea is correct, it is not limited to Asian culture. I saw that many years ago when I was instructing full time at a large flight school where many foreign students enrolled. And I'm talking about those who just came over, not those who lived here. So I don't buy into the argument that it's the Asian culture thing. Most newbies, regardless of their background or profession, don't tend to come into new enviroment with six guns blazing.

I hope this has been a positive discussion. You've made your point and I've made mine. Now what say we shake hands and move on to something different?

ok, two more. First, the guy who calls up tower and says ready to depart when you're on short final which causes tower to tell him to hold short, so that he can read it back. If nobody is behind you just wait, you'll get your position and hold. Second, when you have a really busy CTAF on a Saturday and you're student is shooting approaches and you're on the radio sequencing yourself into the airport and the lady sitting behind the desk welcomes you to the airport, gives you winds, altimeter and active runway, which has already been covered. I know it's meant with good intentions, but seriously shut up, it's dangerous.

Oh, and the whole spanking things, I'll leave my opinions out, but just so everyone knows, the squirt bottle thing works really well on dogs :laugh:

skydash said:
Calling for your ATC clearance,and telling the individual you have the current ATIS....then when they read you the clearance, they inevitably say"confirm you have ATIS___".

The pilot that after I issue an instruction says "say again"

SuperFLUF said:
Pilots (& people in general) who think that they're list of pet peeves is the correct one and everyone else is doing it wrong.
You got that one right. And another thing, those guys who think they know everything really annoy those of us who do.

'Sled

Lrjtcaptain said:
The pilot that after I issue an instruction says "say again"

Its okay, he was probably on the landline.

414Flyer said:
Its okay, he was probably on the landline.

I'm always on the landline :)

another one:

Pilots who call ground or tower and don't get a response within 2 seconds......sometimes we are off line, i heard you, i just can't talk to you right now, relax, its not as if your going to hit a mountain or an airplane if I don't respond within 2 seconds. Chill, relax, ill answer you when im done.

Pilots who have to taxi across an active runway, and are holding short, feel they need to transmit again and tell me they are holding short when if they look out the damn window they would see a plane crossing the threshold. DUh!!!! I know where you are, its my job, im not going to forget about getting you acrossed.....but you do that crap, im not going to bend over backwards to get local to build a hole......

Latest resources

Back