Aeronautical Pet Peeves

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
aerodromebum said:
Since you wanted to know where I was coming from, here are my rebuttals/facts.

1) I am an Asian.
2) I can be subjective as well as objective.
3) I do question authority when situation warrents. I do not obey someone blindly.
4) I do know more than one way to do things. You have to be flexible and adaptive in this profession.
5) I call my own shots to get things done. (Within my authority, which is total, when it comes to A/C which I'm PIC of.)
6) I do not own an Omega watch nor do I want one.

Judging by your use of the language I will assume you are an American. You may be an Asian American but your culture is American. Have you been anywhere is Asia? Have you lived there? I have and have to agreee with some of the observations. So chill out dude, it's just a message board.

L'il J.Seinfeld said:
Judging by your use of the language I will assume you are an American. You may be an Asian American but your culture is American. Have you been anywhere is Asia? Have you lived there? I have and have to agreee with some of the observations. So chill out dude, it's just a message board.

Yes, I have lived in Asia (South Korea, to be exact). And I know it's just a message board, but I do dislike stereotyping (probably because I deal with it on a regular basis). If 414Flyer and Alin10123 began their sentences with "Some Asians are..." or "The Asians I've met..." Then I wouldn't have any issues with it. But when they imply that ALL Asians (or any other group) are a certain way, then I take exception to it. Because it just isn't true. Do some Asians fit their profile? Of course. But that's the key, SOME, not ALL. That goes true for Asians both here and abroad. Stereotyping is never accurate. Not all Southerners are rednecks. Not all Blacks are into basketball. Not all Embry-Riddle (or any other big-name school) grads are sky gods. And not all Irish have short temper.

Last edited:
Were you an adult when you lived in S. Korea? I find your attitude stupid and very American PC. Get off of it or you will spend the rest of your life being miserable. I spent 3 years living in Japan and the statement that Japanes/Asians tend to view things objectively without the ability to be subjective to be very true. You are trying to make 414 and Alin into racists and they are not. God I'd hate to spend 6 hours in a cockpit or a 3 day trip with a pompous jerk like you.

aerodromebum said:
Yes, I have lived in Asia (South Korea, to be exact). And I know it's just a message board, but I do dislike stereotyping (probably because I deal with it on a regular basis). If 414Flyer and Alin10123 began their sentences with "Some Asians are..." or "The Asians I've met..." Then I wouldn't have any issues with it. But when they imply that ALL Asians (or any other group) are a certain way, then I take exception to it. Because it just isn't true. Do some Asians fit their profile? Of course. But that's the key, SOME, not ALL. That goes true for Asians both here and abroad. Stereotyping is never accurate. Not all Southerners are rednecks. Not all blacks are into basketball. Not all Embry-Riddle (or any other big-name school) grads are sky gods, and not all Irish have short temper.

Or that Asian chicks are so hahney and love you rong time.
Or that Asian guys have small sausages.
Or that SouthWest Asian/Muslims smell bad....

L'il J.Seinfeld said:
Were you an adult when you lived in S. Korea? I find your attitude stupid and very American PC. Get off of it or you will spend the rest of your life being miserable. I spent 3 years living in Japan and the statement that Japanes/Asians tend to view things objectively without the ability to be subjective to be very true. You are trying to make 414 and Alin into racists and they are not. God I'd hate to spend 6 hours in a cockpit or a 3 day trip with a pompous jerk like you.

Pompous jerk? You're the one trying to turn civilized conversation into name-calling and you're calling me a pompous jerk? I've got a news for you buddy. You have no idea what stereotyping is until you're at the receiving end of it. I'd be a rich man if I took a dime for every time someone made assumptions about me based purely on my ethnicity. Have you met EVERY SINGLE Japanese before coming to your conclusion? Or have you met, say, 500 of them and decided to plaster that image upon entire Japanese community? Why do you find my attitude stupid? Perhaps you didn't expect some good little submissive nerdy Asian boy to stand up for himself? Are you taken aback because I'm not your typical Asian? If I walked into the cockpit as part of your crewmember, would you take one look at me and decide how I'm going to behave and perform even before we spoke a single word to each other? Just exactly who's pompous jerk here?

Last edited:
Lead Sled said:
That's nowhere near as bad as the guy who "tried" to take a crap in the back row of a Cessna 210 - using Sick Sacks. He missed. :puke:

'Sled
Here's the one that got my goat, Me and the wife fly two other couples to MSP for a little R and R and some Mall of a America time. Never mind that it was low ceilings and snowing out and that it took a lot of work and skill and to get there.

We're getting all the gear out of the plane and somebody hands out the 12 pack, I reach in and all the bottles are full of warm liquid. Evidently, they were drinking before we boarded, so they couldn't wait for a lav on the ground.

It didn't bother me during the flight when I looked back and saw the one guy kneeling in his seat hanging on the backrest peeing into the bottle, but you'd think one of the bastages would have saved me a beer.

Aerodromebum, I'm totally on your side.
As one that works for a carrier based out of Hong Kong, I think I probably know a little about this. All Asians are NOT the same, just like all Americans aren't. I have flown with many American millitary guys that were total bufoons, and some asians that could fly a single seat F-18 like they were born with a afterburner butthole.

I will NEVER make a judgment based on someone's race again. I'm not perfect and have done so in the past, but some of the best flights and overnights have been with asian pilots and some of the most judgemental, arrogant jerks have been Americans, Brits, and Aussies

Last edited:
You are not Asian. You are an American. You may be descended from Asia but you are no longer Asian. Jay Leno does not call himself Italian, and Pres Bush is not a European. Most Japanese do display the characteristics mentioned before. It's a fact and a common characteristic of their culture. That does not mean everyone in Japan is that way. Remove the chip from your shoulder. If you showed up on my crew I would treat you like who you are--an American raised person of Korean descent. I would treat a Korean pilot differently than I would treat you given your varying backgrounds and culture.

L'il J.Seinfeld said:
You are not Asian. You are an American. You may be descended from Asia but you are no longer Asian. Jay Leno does not call himself Italian, and Pres Bush is not a European. Most Japanese do display the characteristics mentioned before. It's a fact and a common characteristic of their culture. That does not mean everyone in Japan is that way. Remove the chip from your shoulder. If you showed up on my crew I would treat you like who you are--an American raised person of Korean descent. I would treat a Korean pilot differently than I would treat you given your varying backgrounds and culture.

Just ask any of them millions of Chinamen in Tokyo! :erm:

Latest resources

Back