ukpylot said:
Last year on two consecutive days at my home field:

ATC1: Cessna 1234 stand by
Me: <silence>
ATC1: Cessna 1234, I said standby!
Me: Cessna 1234 standing by

Next day:

ATC2: Cessna 1234 stand by
Me: Cessna 1234 standing by (well maybe our tower has its own rules now)
ATC2: When I tell you to stand by it means we're busy and don't want you to block the frequency by repeating it back to us
Me: er, sorry.

Fortunately one was male and one was female so after that I tried to guess when the person wanted a readback. But then I decided to stick with the silence (or double-click on the mic) and just get told off when I was 'wrong'.

I also keep quiet when told to stand by. If ATC ever chews me out for not responding, I hope I'm quick-witted enough to reply that "I was waiting for you to say over."

My own pet peeve: Pilots or mechanics who feel the need to touch the screens with their greasy fingers. They aren't touch screens, for crying out loud!

Calling for your ATC clearance,and telling the individual you have the current ATIS....then when they read you the clearance, they inevitably say"confirm you have ATIS___".

Alin10123 said:
I couldn't agree with you more on that one. Asians tend to be very objective rather than subjective. They will do things a certain way and a certain way only. It's very hard for them to by subjective based on the situation. It's not only in flight, they do that in their daily lives as well. For example, a certain brand is the "high class" brand. Then everyone will want that brand and that brand only. Right now the latest craze in China are the Omega watches. Although there are lots of better brands. They dont care, they will starve themselves to save up enough money to buy a Omega watch. Dont try to tell me it's not true and they aren't all like that. Most if not almost all of them are sort of like that in one way or another. It's not entirely their fault, in a way it's how they were brought up. I've run across so much of that stuff lately that i could write a whole book on the wierdness of the asian culture and how far they will go to "save face". Some of the things are really drastic.

One of my pet peeves: Stereotypical morons like yourself and 414Flyer... Real class act, you two...

Another one of my pet peeves: People who takes crap in the potty seat of a cabin-class twin. (Keep in mind that these are NOT enclosed lavs.)

aerodromebum said:
Another one of my pet peeves: People who takes crap in the potty seat of a cabin-class twin. (Keep in mind that these are NOT enclosed lavs.)
That's nowhere near as bad as the guy who "tried" to take a crap in the back row of a Cessna 210 - using Sick Sacks. He missed. :puke:

'Sled

skydash said:
Calling for your ATC clearance,and telling the individual you have the current ATIS....then when they read you the clearance, they inevitably say"confirm you have ATIS___".

I'm sure ATC feels the same way about dummies like me, who no more than 90 seconds after they cleared me to land, ask, "Confirm XXXX is clear to land?" Stupid pilots. :D

Cant stand cocky, arrogant and ego filled pilots. We all know the type..... The kinda guy who has flown EVERYTHING. More than anything, pilots who have gone to management and in short order, have clearly forgotten where they have come from. They think that they are the best and treat their own like crap. Great examples would be Rocky, Humphrey Bogart and FRACTRASH (they can be visited on the fractional part of this). These types are the absolute worst.

aerodromebum said:
One of my pet peeves: Stereotypical morons like yourself and 414Flyer... Real class act, you two...

Well unlike most, I do have experience flying over there and I said the reasons why too for my beliefs. Its not racism, it due to the lack of freedom in aviation there, and aspects of their culture too.

They have few opportunities to gain real world experiences in aviation, in the way we fortunately can. A 300 hour American pilot has probably been to lots of different airports, been flying in different kinds of weather, and had more opportunities for aeronautical decision making than a similar time pilot in many countries, whose hours might consist of the same airport or couple of airports, doing the same approaches over and over, never deviating from the mandatory prefiled flight plan.

I have flown with low time Indian pilots, and if their experience was solely inside India, they had not developed the ability to think in the cockpit, or act decisively. Its not their fault, their system just does not allow much opportunity for it, and culturally, the pilot/captain is not always really in charge. Indian pilots, who maybe had low time but had flown a fair amount in the US, were fine to be in the cockpit with.

Before calling people a moron, maybe look at how things are different around the world and read or comment about what we actually had to say. I didnt see you rebut anything I had to say in the other message, all you had to offer was calling people morons. Quite a "class act" there huh?

414Flyer said:
Well unlike most, I do have experience flying over there and I said the reasons why too for my beliefs. Its not racism, it due to the lack of freedom in aviation there, and aspects of their culture too.

They have few opportunities to gain real world experiences in aviation, in the way we fortunately can. A 300 hour American pilot has probably been to lots of different airports, been flying in different kinds of weather, and had more opportunities for aeronautical decision making than a similar time pilot in many countries, whose hours might consist of the same airport or couple of airports, doing the same approaches over and over, never deviating from the mandatory prefiled flight plan.

I have flown with low time Indian pilots, and if their experience was solely inside India, they had not developed the ability to think in the cockpit, or act decisively. Its not their fault, their system just does not allow much opportunity for it, and culturally, the pilot/captain is not always really in charge. Indian pilots, who maybe had low time but had flown a fair amount in the US, were fine to be in the cockpit with.

Before calling people a moron, maybe look at how things are different around the world and read or comment about what we actually had to say. I didnt see you rebut anything I had to say in the other message, all you had to offer was calling people morons. Quite a "class act" there huh?

Since you wanted to know where I was coming from, here are my rebuttals/facts.

1) I am an Asian.
2) I can be subjective as well as objective.
3) I do question authority when situation warrents. I do not obey someone blindly.
4) I do know more than one way to do things. You have to be flexible and adaptive in this profession.
5) I call my own shots to get things done. (Within my authority, which is total, when it comes to A/C which I'm PIC of.)
6) I do not own an Omega watch nor do I want one.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back