• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Aeronautical Pet Peeves

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Another thing I can't stand: pilots who start snapping demands and treating line people (and anyone else they are "forced" do deal with) like crap, as soon as the airplane door opens. Especially the corporate jet types.

I've had my share of issues with line people et. al., but it takes an effort on their part to get me ticked off. I always treat people I work with respectfully even if I'm in a lousy mood. I once saw a Fractional guy bark an order at a line guy (he whistled at the guy, then yelled "Hey Buddy! I said fill our coffee pots!") The line guy whipped around, bug-eyed, walked up to him and pointed his (big) finger in the dork's chest and yelled: "Get one thing straight: you do NOT yell orders at us! DO YOU UNDERSTAND?! I SAID DO YOU UNDERSTAND?!" The pilot nodded his head and muttered something. I thought the guy was going to lay the pilot out on the ramp, but he just walked away with the pilot standing there with this stunned look on his face! As far as I was concerned, he probably could have used a good thrashing.

Foxcow said:
props to that line guy!

BIG African-American guy. I think he would have bent the pilot's head up into his a** if it had come to a fight!

When I was in grade school I worked line service at a small Texas airport. We were the only FBO on the airport so we covered the unicom.

Almost on a daily basis I would hear someone call up and ask "what runway are ya'll usin'". I thought it was funny they were asking a 15 year old kid where to land their $100,000 airplane.

And yes, we had an AWOS. Not to mention a big bright orange wind sock.

Tailwheelman said:
Pilots who insisted on discussing their political, religious and moral beliefs in the cockpit. (I'll get more out of reading the instructions on the vomit bag)

Approach, Departure, and tower controllers in Phoenix, AZ

Anyone who is under the impression that they are so special they demand that all "all other traffic please advise"

Mental Giants who start their radio calls with "UUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" (think it through then press the button)

Guys at uncontrolled fields that listen to 3 or 4 airplanes make radio calls in the pattern such as "so and so, downwind for runway 9" wait for a gap on CTAF then use it to call unicom and ask "which runway is the active today"

The AMF pilot in the Lance at PHX that in the middle of rush hour ate up 7000 feet of runway getting his Lance down and stopped, forcing me to have to go around and spend another 30 minutes circling outside class B waiting to getting sequenced in again. (Thank you sir....you are an inspiration to us all)

Guys who after being handed off to another controller end their reply to the previous controller with "SSSSSEEEEEEEE YYYAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!. (Your are not a VJ for MTV just say thank you and carry on with your day)

The CAP pilot I saw taxiing out in an old Mooney with a current issue military flight helmet on and the dang visor down. (anyone who feels this is necessary equipment to fly a 40 year old Mooney needs to be locked in a portable toilet and set on fire!)

You must have read Moondog's....

My pet peeves....Nosewheel Pilots, except for Tomahawks :)

STARVINGCFI...you and me both man....

Aeronautical Pet Peeves?

Pilots who think that there's "reverse sensing" on the back course, rather than reverse indicating.

There is no sensing reverse. Either you're on the one side or you're on the the other and that's it.

People who say Airelon instead of Aileron; Yaw Dampener instead of Yaw Damper; Pie-tot Tube instead of Peetoh Tube. ..... Nucular instead of Nuc-le-ar; Toe-mah-toe instead of Toe-may-toe.

Latest resources

Back