• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Aeronautical Pet Peeves

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother ... all the men of the city shall stone him with stones, that he die .... [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif](Dt. 21:18, 21)
[/FONT]

My pet peeve would be people who turn their brains off when entering the cockpit and just do everything from memorization or lists or flows, but not actually thinking about what they are doing. Dont get me wrong, I am not saying talking about checklists or flows, but when people do those and are completely braindead while they are doing such things.

Asian pilots can sometimes be like that, because of cultural factors, where either they are used to asking the captain for permission to do anything at all, or where neither one will do anything without permission of dispatch or operations. The recent cyprus crash was an example of that, however they were not asian, but still similar lack of command decision and leaving the decision making to those on the ground.

414Flyer said:
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother ... all the men of the city shall stone him with stones, that he die .... [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif](Dt. 21:18, 21)
[/FONT]

My pet peeve would be people who turn their brains off when entering the cockpit and just do everything from memorization or lists or flows, but not actually thinking about what they are doing. Dont get me wrong, I am not saying talking about checklists or flows, but when people do those and are completely braindead while they are doing such things.

Asian pilots can sometimes be like that, because of cultural factors, where either they are used to asking the captain for permission to do anything at all, or where neither one will do anything without permission of dispatch or operations. The recent cyprus crash was an example of that, however they were not asian, but still similar lack of command decision and leaving the decision making to those on the ground.

I couldn't agree with you more on that one. Asians tend to be very objective rather than subjective. They will do things a certain way and a certain way only. It's very hard for them to by subjective based on the situation. It's not only in flight, they do that in their daily lives as well. For example, a certain brand is the "high class" brand. Then everyone will want that brand and that brand only. Right now the latest craze in China are the Omega watches. Although there are lots of better brands. They dont care, they will starve themselves to save up enough money to buy a Omega watch. Dont try to tell me it's not true and they aren't all like that. Most if not almost all of them are sort of like that in one way or another. It's not entirely their fault, in a way it's how they were brought up. I've run across so much of that stuff lately that i could write a whole book on the wierdness of the asian culture and how far they will go to "save face". Some of the things are really drastic.

ToiletDuck said:
People who don't pause when they switch over and they just step all over you.

When atc says "Stand by" and people resond "standing by"
Last year on two consecutive days at my home field:

ATC1: Cessna 1234 stand by
Me: <silence>
ATC1: Cessna 1234, I said standby!
Me: Cessna 1234 standing by

Next day:

ATC2: Cessna 1234 stand by
Me: Cessna 1234 standing by (well maybe our tower has its own rules now)
ATC2: When I tell you to stand by it means we're busy and don't want you to block the frequency by repeating it back to us
Me: er, sorry.

Fortunately one was male and one was female so after that I tried to guess when the person wanted a readback. But then I decided to stick with the silence (or double-click on the mic) and just get told off when I was 'wrong'.

JimG said:
Radio hogs doing touch and goes at uncontrolled airports.

"ABC traffic, Cessna 1234X departing runway x.... ABC"
"ABC traffic, Cessna 1234X upwind runway x...ABC"
"ABC traffic, Cessna 1234X left crosswind runway x....ABC"
"ABC traffic, Cessna 1234X left downwind runway x... ABC"
"ABC traffic, Cessna 1234X left base runway x... ABC"
"ABC traffic, Cessna 1234X turning final runway x... ABC"
"ABC traffic, Cessna 1234X short final touch and go runway x... ABC"

Getting cut off by corporate jets or bonanzas in the cub because, if I'm not transmitting, I must not be there! Eyes are for looking. I'm the one in 'camo yellow'.
It's fun to do a low pass on them, after they position and hold in front of me.
"uh, er, yellow high-wing on upwind in sight, will maintain visual".

Biggest peeve, turbine guys assuming they have priority in the pattern. We have a local C560 that can keep it tight behind the cub(s), and still clear at the first taxiway, without reversers. That's air(wo)manship. she's a good stick.

Next big peeve. Instructors who don't get it. They are doing the biggest dis-service to this industry. To teach someone is a bond, not a stepping stone. Okay, you're getting hours for the 'next thing', but while you're here, be good at your job. You have more influence over the future of aviation than you think. Your influence will last a career.

Delays caused by the unnecessary preferantial treatment of airlines that cost the Federal Reserve lost interest when I'm forced to slow to 170, 20 miles out. My average float per leg 30 to 60 mill.
SLC does this all of the time! SLC are the worst controllers in the nation.

twin beaver said:
Next big peeve. Instructors who don't get it. They are doing the biggest dis-service to this industry. To teach someone is a bond, not a stepping stone. Okay, you're getting hours for the 'next thing', but while you're here, be good at your job. You have more influence over the future of aviation than you think. Your influence will last a career.

Yep. Sad thing is, there are way more mediocre and just plain bad instructors than good ones who give a rat's a$$. They, unfortunately are a product of their "i-don't-care-i'm-just-building-time" instructors who were taught by more of the same.

Since I've been re-familiarizing myself with the finer points of tailwheel flying lately in my C-170, I've been re-familiarized with the uncontrolled field, flying farmer, "Ah learnt mah self how ta fly in mah daddy's cub 50 years ago", never had a BFR or medical crowd, so here's mah recent pet peeve:

Bubba:"Ah, Cezzna in the pattern, say yer position.."
Me:"Downwind 17"
Bubba:"Ok, we're over the water tower, gonna fly over the field and enter downwind. I don't see you, but we'll be looking"
Me: "I hope so."

I fly out of an uncontrolled field and get sick of hearing, 1)"...any other traffic please advise". I give most pilots credit for knowing when to respond to a radio call. State your position and intentions and I'll bet anyone with a radio will let you know what's going on. 2) Making position reports on CTAF from a fix. This seems to be a low time instructor thing. If you call 5 SW of Putts intersection inbound and I'm not familiar with the airport give me just a second so I can get all my approach plates out to figure out were you're at. 3) Guys who are on Instrument flight plans on CAVU days and the controller says, "call the airport insight", please don't let the poor guy go through the whole, "cleared for the visual, cancel on ..." just to hear, "cancel IFR".

wrlane said:
3) Guys who are on Instrument flight plans on CAVU days and the controller says, "call the airport insight", please don't let the poor guy go through the whole, "cleared for the visual, cancel on ..." just to hear, "cancel IFR".

For guys under 121 or 135, it may not be that simple, and it's specified in their manuals. Some are simply not allowed to cancel in the air. For us, we can, but only if we get a field condition report from our operations. If they're out having a smoke break and don't answer, that means I cannot legally cancel IFR until I'm on the ground. Just FYI.

122.8 on any given day; High-pitched nasal voice: "FLUFFERDUFFER UNICOM THIS IS, UUUUHHH, NOVEMBER 4532 SIERRA WE ARE, UHHHH, APPROXIMATELY
squeeeeeeeeeeeeeellllllll scrooooooonnnnnnncccccchhh blurbleblurbleblurble (new Homer Simpson-sounding voice) "Departing the traffic pattern on a fourty-" Bleeeeeerrrrrrrr grogglegrogglegroggle groziglleglrrrrb (Another voice sounding like Mr. Rogers) " Aircraft approaching Poisonwell Municipal, state your pos" Weeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhh gurglegurglegurgle cackcackcackcakccack (New guy sounds like the Slingblade guy) "10 mile west requestin' airport advi" gnnnnnnooooorrrrrrrrllllllwubbawubbawubba (original high-pitch nasal guy):"COULD YOU, UHHHHHH, PLEASE REPEAT THAT FOR NOVEMBER 453" yyyyyyeeeeeeeeaaaaaaawwwwwwwwawawawawawa and on and on and on .....

Oh the boobery of it all!!! It's like fingernails on a chalkboard to me!

wrlane said:
Guys who are on Instrument flight plans on CAVU days and the controller says, "call the airport insight", please don't let the poor guy go through the whole, "cleared for the visual, cancel on ..." just to hear, "cancel IFR".

Our Ops specs allow us to accept a visual clearence from 35 NM out, but we can only cancel if we're within 10 Nm. So, there may be very good reasons why somone calls for a visual then subsequently cancels.

Latest resources

Back