Aeronautical Pet Peeves

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
dash8driver said:
i noticed the opposite. its the single people that dont know what its like to raise a child 24/7. they are the ones in the supermarket trying to tell some parent how to discipline their child when they have never been in their shoes. all they have to worry about is a cat at home.

I notice the same thing all the time. It's not just guys on this board.

BTW folks....we're talking about aeronautical pet peeves....let's get back to airplanes.

wolf said:
How come all the guys that advocate spanking of children are all single SOB's??
I'm not single, and my mother is a very respectable woman. My parents had been married long before I was conceived, and they remained married until my father died.

I advocate spanking as a form of discipline because it is a Biblical concept, because it was used by my parents, and because I have personally found it to very effective when used at the appropriate time in the appropriate way. In fact, I would consider it abuse were I to arbitrarily remove that tool from my parenting repertoire.

Now, I must say that I empathize with the sentiment expressed that single adults or childless couples can sometimes come off sounding like the consummate experts at parenting. I confess that I have never known as much about parenting as I did before I had children. :) However, that phenomenon does not negate the fact that spanking is an important part of a complete approach to disciplining and childrearing. Even idiots get it right from time to time.

The line between discipline and abuse can be clear at some times, and very blurry at others. It's very difficult to instantly assess the motivation of a parent, but the motivation is the key difference. If the punishment is meted out because a loving parent is attempting to teach a child, it is appropriate. If the love is absent, or the motivation is to hurt or punish for punishment's sake, then it is abusive. Notice, the number of swats, the force with which they are delivered, the instrument of contact, many of those things that can be easily quantified and codified are NOT in and of themselves a reliable barometer of discipline vs. abuse. A single swift pop to a padded bottom delivered out of anger can be far more damaging than a dozen licks from a belt. Furthermore, it doesn't have to be physical to be abuse.

One must use caution, then, when witnessing the distribution of corporal punishment by parents they do not know. As I walk around the corner into a grocery store aisle and witness a mother slap a child's outstretched hand, I have no idea what events have preceded that slap, and little idea of the mother's motivation. There might have been a series of inappropriate behaviors followed by a warning that now required the delivery of a consequence promised. In that case, it would have been abuse for the mother to have withheld the promised consequence just because she saw me round the corner. On the other hand, she may be having a bad day, and struck out because she was irritated and annoyed, and the child was reaching for an attractive package on the shelf. Although the impact of the mother's palm on the child's hand would be identical to the former example, the latter would be considered abuse. How does an observer instantly judge the difference?

I have never hesitated to take my children dining with me, and I can't count the number of times my wife and I have been approached by complete strangers to compliment us on how well-behaved our children are. I don't think this would have been possible were it not for the application of a full range of discipline tools. All of our children know we mean business when we set a limit, and we are all much happier in that knowledge. That spanking didn't make them feel good at the time, but the good feelings they have about themselves now are well worth those little stings aling the way.

Sorry about the hijack, but it seems appropriate in a thread about pet peeves to dwell for a moment on a subject (and misconceptions) that hit a nerve. We now return you to Aeronautical Pet Peeves. :)

TonyC said:
I have never hesitated to take my children dining with me, and I can't count the number of times my wife and I have been approached by complete strangers to compliment us on how well-behaved our children are. I don't think this would have been possible were it not for the application of a full range of discipline tools.

yeah--like bribery :)

Spooky 1 said:
AvBug,

Your tone and demeanor in this statement is just a little troubling.

exactly.. talk about anger management issues. its highly doubtful that he is, was or ever would be a parent. if for some reason he ever were to become a parent, i doubt it would be for very long.

TonyC said:
I advocate spanking as a form of discipline because it is a Biblical concept,

Biblical concept???? Oh no, now we'll have to sort through 5 more pages of religious fighting before we switch gears again to Politics where somebody will ultimately blame Bush for "Spanking" as a form of discipline.

By the way, anybody know of any good BBQ? :beer:

MDQ - Meridianville, Al has some fine BBQ.. :)

Bravo Tony C., well said.

When and where I grew up, (1960s) it wasn't just parents who administered a little corporal punishment from time to time, it was my coachs, teachers, adult relatives, and perhaps even a neighbor if we were really out of line. I've been spanked with an open hand, slapped for a smart remark, paddled with a custom creation from the school wood shop, swatted with a fly-swatter and even whipped once or twice with a belt. And I certainly suffered less corporal punishment than many of my childhood friends.

I was never, not once, abused.

About 98% of those licks were well and truly earned. And to this day, they never stung near as much as some a$$-chewings I've suffered...

I skipped about 8 pages.

Ok, whats wrong with flying the G/S at 100kts in a 172? I guess approach would prefer 80 knots with a RJ or 737 crossing the outer marker behind me...?

I used to say with you, but don't anymore, thanks flightinfo.

Saying "cya" (not SEEEEEE YYYYYYAAAAAAAAA LAAAAAAATTTTTEEEEEEEEERRRRR), and wasting an extra .5 seconds of airtime, when its not busy, I am guilty of. Sorry if I have offended any of you. I'll go back to using good day/night, which is longer.

I'm also guilty of asking for a Yankees/Redsox score now and then...

Latest resources

Back