• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Aeronautical Pet Peeves

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
After spending 3.5 hours in a Mooney with an 80 year old buddy of mine today I quickly discovered one of my worst aeronautical pet peeves....

PEOPLE THAT OWN & WEAR CRAPPY HEADSETS!!!! You spend half the flight looking at them going "huh, what, say again, i can't hear you, pull your mic closer, etc." Then when they do talk they're now yelling in your ear to make sure you hear them finally!

If your going to spend a couple hundred thousand to own your own airplane, why do they always feel like they have to scrimp when they purchases their headsets?? Seems like everyone I know that owns airplanes have the same ole 30 dollar, 70's model plastic cans that have the boom mikes that wont even stay in position.

ooh ooh I have another one!

Pilots that use a headset with a boom mike in an aircraft with an intercom, then proceed to eat their meal without moving the mike off to the side or, even better, removing the headset. Not only do I get to hear your crunching and heavy breathing, but the bonus is I get to watch your food fly onto the mic as you chew it. Yummy!

English said:

Pilots that use a headset with a boom mike in an aircraft with an intercom, then proceed to eat their meal without moving the mike off to the side or, even better, removing the headset. Not only do I get to hear your crunching and heavy breathing, but the bonus is I get to watch your food fly onto the mic as you chew it. Yummy!

or just talk loudly to someone that enters the cockpit without turning off the hot mic :)

I feel your pain...

English said:

I'll see that and raise you a pilot that gets his jollies belching into the hot mic. No wonder the guy didn't make his upgrade a few years back. Now he's an airplane "salesman" and flies around in his single-seat home built. (Thank goodness!!!)

'Sled

English said:

Pilots that use a headset with a boom mike in an aircraft with an intercom, then proceed to eat their meal without moving the mike off to the side or, even better, removing the headset.
Diddo with chewing ice as well. It takes half a second to reach up and turn the hot mic switch off on the yoke. Go ahead and do that before consuming an entire cup full of ice in my ear!

Weekend GA pilots who take FOREVER talking to Center or Approach..

Here's a peeve of mine.. Pilots with too many pet peeves.. :)

I think if you list more than 5 or 6 peeves, your too high strung. :)

Latest resources

Back