Aerobatic

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The_Russian said:
If you want a real aerobatic kit plane, look no futher than the Steen Skybolt or the Pitts S-4!

Did you mean S-1?? Never seen an S-4.

Any pitts will be fairly uncomfortable for x-country. But you cant beat the performance for the price. You can easily compete up to advanced in a $28,000 S-1S.

I was building an RV-8 at one time, it is very easy for the first time builder and there is tons of support available. Riveting is not as hard as you would think and there are comanies out there that make a tool kit specifically for the RV so that you buy one kit and have everything you need (clecos, riveter gun, rivet squeezer, dimpling tools, everything!). Look on the Vans website for more info (www.vansaircraft.com).

Also, the parts come pre-cut so all you do is cleco, open the holes to final size and rivet, with some deburring here and there. The surface finish is great - far better than a 172...

BTW - the posted link above for ebay is a RANS not a VANS.

FracCapt said:
Well, if you're running an RV-8 against a bunch of Edge 540's, Extra 300's, and Pitts....it's not going to do well. For basic, recreational aerobatics, the RV series is more than enough.

True, but the sportsman routinely is normally geared to be able to be done in lower end aircraft. It was a couple of years back that I saw it, but I think it was because he zeroed a maneuver, was the reason that killed his score.

d.fitz said:
Did you mean S-1?? Never seen an S-4.

Neither have I. I know of the S-1, S-2, and Pitts 12....but never herad of an S-3. The S-1 and 12 are kits, S-2 is factory built.

My apologies,

Steen has since changed the name of the S-4 to the S14. It is a modified S-1 with a MV-14 radial rated at 400HP. It is a join venture between Curtiss Pitts and Steen Aero Lab.

A few weeks ago, someone posted about purchasing a Yak 50. He said it was very affordable, good X-C aircraft, and a great aerobatic platform. Do a search, I believe it may have been in the military forum. Plus, you can fit them with the M-14PF engine. Hold on tight!!! That thing would climb like a home sick angel. Not a kit though.

Last edited:
psysicx said:
Thanks for the help.Is it that hard to build?

I've helped a freind build a RV-7, It wasn't exactly easy, but it wasn't terribly difficult either.

Anybody with a good basic mechaincial ability can do it.

I plan on building one whenever I finally have a garage to do it in.

The thing I like about the RVs is that there is likely sombody building or flying not to far away. This gives you sombody you can pester for advice and help.

USMCmech said:
The thing I like about the RVs is that there is likely sombody building or flying not to far away. This gives you sombody you can pester for advice and help.

There is quite a support network among RV builders....just go to Yahoogroups and search for Van's. I am a member of many of the groups, and we all help each other....plus, as you said, there are many builders in my local area that we all help each other. Local EAA chapters are also a great resource for such info.

Latest resources

Back