Aerobatic Training

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Lead Sled said:
Yes, you can solo a motorglider at 14 and get your PPL in one at 16.

If Joshrk22 were to get his initial PPL in a glider he could do it this year when he was 16 and just do a ASEL add-on when get turns 17. Something to think about.

'Sled

Wouldn't it be better to go for my ASEL first and then glider, since it would require less glider flights to get the add-on. If I did Glider than ASEL I would still need 40 hours for the add-on. I'm not sure if this guy has a glider and I don't think the club does. I will find out though. I don't really want to join a glider club to get my PPL-glider, I would rather stay in this club that I'm in now and learn to fly gliders here, but we'll see what happens.

Joshrk22 said:
Wouldn't it be better to go for my ASEL first and then glider, since it would require less glider flights to get the add-on. If I did Glider than ASEL I would still need 40 hours for the add-on. I'm not sure if this guy has a glider and I don't think the club does. I will find out though. I don't really want to join a glider club to get my PPL-glider, I would rather stay in this club that I'm in now and learn to fly gliders here, but we'll see what happens.
Yes, but your glider time would count. If you're not going to have to wait long until you turn 17 then it's probably sixes. If you're still 15, then find a glider club and get to work - you'll be the better pilot for it.

'Sled

Lead Sled said:
Yes, but your glider time would count. If you're not going to have to wait long until you turn 17 then it's probably sixes. If you're still 15, then find a glider club and get to work - you'll be the better pilot for it.

'Sled

Okay I have one year till Im 17, just turned 16 today. Anyways, I will check out some glider clubs. How much can I look to spend on PPL-Glider? I will call the flight club and my CFI tomorrow to see what they have available. I know some of the guys have motorgliders, but getting to use them is a whole different story. I don't want to spend too much and not have enough money for my PPL-ASEL or my Aero or IR.

Joshrk22 said:
On most every rating there is a requirement for total time, night time, cross country time, etc, etc. Then at least x amount of hours in category and class of aircraft for the rating being sought.

When you go to get your instrument rating your flight experience will need to include 40 hours of instrument time, 50 hours of cross country PIC, and 15 hours of instruction with an appropriately rated instructor. You can get all this time and experience as a glider pilot and apply it to your instrument rating, or beyond.

An example: you need 1500 hours of flight time to qualify for ATP airplane, only 250 of those hours need to be in an airplane, the rest of those can be in any combination of aircraft. Which just gave me an idea. If I can get my balloon rating and get on with Steve Fosset on one of his next jaunts, I could really build some impressive time.

Joshrk22 said:
I don't want to spend too much and not have enough money for my PPL-ASEL or my Aero or IR.
RefugePilot said:
On most every rating there is a requirement for total time, night time, cross country time, etc, etc. Then at least x amount of hours in category and class of aircraft for the rating being sought.

When you go to get your instrument rating your flight experience will need to include 40 hours of instrument time, 50 hours of cross country PIC, and 15 hours of instruction with an appropriately rated instructor. You can get all this time and experience as a glider pilot and apply it to your instrument rating, or beyond.

An example: you need 1500 hours of flight time to qualify for ATP airplane, only 250 of those hours need to be in an airplane, the rest of those can be in any combination of aircraft.
Get someone to help you crunch the numbers. You'll probably find that from a cost point of view, going the initial PPL-Glider route won't effect the overall cost to complete your Commercial/Instrument/ASEL all that much. When you consider the additional skill and proficiency that you will gain as a direct result of the glider (and akro) training, any additional costs are a bargain. Ask yourself the question: Do I want to become a pilot or do I want to become a really good pilot?

'Sled

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back