Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Joshrk22

Sierra Hotel
Okay I was thinking after my CFI has deemed me a safe and proficient pilot, is it possible to get aerobatic training? I'm only 16 so I can't get my PPL for another year from tomorrow. So I'm trying to decide what to do with "free-time". Is it better to get aerobatic training or Instrument rated first? I would think Aero because it will give you more knowledge on how an airplane handles and reacts, it also teaches spin recovery. I'm just not sure if you could do aerobatic training before you have your PPL, eg. Student Pilot License. Also, is it a rating? Or just training that is highly recommended? Also, where do I find a CFI that teaches it and an aerobatic aircraft to rent. I think a Super Decathlon looks fun and could be used as a learning tool. My aircraft that I'm training in is a tailwheel already. My plan is work on PPL, work on Aerobatic course, work on IFR, get PPL and IFR on my 17th b-day and go from there. Any websites out there dedicated to aerobatics? Thanks.

Not a rating, just training like any other.

I suggest you do it. You'll be doing the instrument later anyway, take this chance to have some fun and learn how planes really fly.

I'm not sure where you're located, but there's a place up in Creswell, OR a couple hours north of me that has something like a 10-hour aerobatic course. They teach you in either a Pitts S-2B or a Zlin 242L, or both, whatever you want. Kinda spendy but you do spins plus a ton of other maneuvers. As soon as I can scrape $2500 together I'm thinking about that... it would be a blast, for sure.

Oh, here's their site... www.wingoveraerobatics.com.

I might even do the $550 spin course... looks like fun!

MFR

Joshrk22 said:
Okay I was thinking after my CFI has deemed me a safe and proficient pilot, is it possible to get aerobatic training? I'm only 16 so I can't get my PPL for another year from tomorrow. So I'm trying to decide what to do with "free-time". Is it better to get aerobatic training or Instrument rated first? I would think Aero because it will give you more knowledge on how an airplane handles and reacts, it also teaches spin recovery. I'm just not sure if you could do aerobatic training before you have your PPL, eg. Student Pilot License. Also, is it a rating? Or just training that is highly recommended? Also, where do I find a CFI that teaches it and an aerobatic aircraft to rent. I think a Super Decathlon looks fun and could be used as a learning tool. My aircraft that I'm training in is a tailwheel already. My plan is work on PPL, work on Aerobatic course, work on IFR, get PPL and IFR on my 17th b-day and go from there. Any websites out there dedicated to aerobatics? Thanks.
Definately go for the aerobatic training. It's one of those things that will definately make you a better pilot. While you're at it, I'd also spend a little time and get that tailwheel endorsement. It is also one of those things that will make a better pilot out of you. Finally, as long as I'm talking about things that make better pilots...

You're 16, you're old enough to get your PPL-Glider. It won't take long to knock that one out especially if you have any fixed-wing experience at all. Personally, I feel that experience in all 3 - tailwheel, aerobatics, and gliders - really help a guy to learn how airplanes fly and understand the forces at work. They really do make you a better pilot and beside that, they're all a lot of fun.

'Sled

Lead Sled said:
You're 16, you're old enough to get your PPL-Glider. It won't take long to knock that one out especially if you have any fixed-wing experience at all. Personally, I feel that experience in all 3 - tailwheel, aerobatics, and gliders - really help a guy to learn how airplanes fly and understand the forces at work. They really do make you a better pilot and beside that, they're all a lot of fun.

'Sled
Good idea, a glider rating will alow you to fly with friends and develop your skills without an instructor babling at you. Can he fly a motorglider? My school has one. If so you could even go places in a motorglider once you have your rating. You will learn a lot by being able to go on cross countrys on your own.

Well the plane I'm learning in is a Taylorcraft so I already get my tailwheel when I get my PPL. My CFI teaches in SE, ME, IFR, and Glider. So Im trying to knock out PPL, Tailwheel, Aerobatic, IFR, ME, and glider by the the time I hit 17. It's going to be tough and pricey but I think I can do it. He's only chargin' me $20/hr anyways. The aircraft is a Taylorcraft for $15/hr and a Cherokee for $25/hr. I'm not sure if he teaches Aerobatic courses, I will have to call him and find out. He used to have a Citabria though.

Joshrk22 said:
Well the plane I'm learning in is a Taylorcraft so I already get my tailwheel when I get my PPL. My CFI teaches in SE, ME, IFR, and Glider. So Im trying to knock out PPL, Tailwheel, Aerobatic, IFR, ME, and glider by the the time I hit 17. It's going to be tough and pricey but I think I can do it. He's only chargin' me $20/hr anyways. The aircraft is a Taylorcraft for $15/hr and a Cherokee for $25/hr. I'm not sure if he teaches Aerobatic courses, I will have to call him and find out. He used to have a Citabria though.
Maybe he should by a pitts special and charge me $60hr for dual aerobatic lessons. Does he have a twin I could rent for $40hr wet? With prices like that, I could afford to fly on my days off.

RefugePilot said:
Good idea, a glider rating will alow you to fly with friends and develop your skills without an instructor babling at you. Can he fly a motorglider? My school has one. If so you could even go places in a motorglider once you have your rating. You will learn a lot by being able to go on cross countrys on your own.
Yes, you can solo a motorglider at 14 and get your PPL in one at 16.

If Joshrk22 were to get his initial PPL in a glider he could do it this year when he was 16 and just do a ASEL add-on when get turns 17. Something to think about.

'Sled

Latest resources

Back