• NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

Aerobatic Training

Joshrk22

Sierra Hotel
Joined
Feb 26, 2006
Posts
230
Total Time
696969
Okay I was thinking after my CFI has deemed me a safe and proficient pilot, is it possible to get aerobatic training? I'm only 16 so I can't get my PPL for another year from tomorrow. So I'm trying to decide what to do with "free-time". Is it better to get aerobatic training or Instrument rated first? I would think Aero because it will give you more knowledge on how an airplane handles and reacts, it also teaches spin recovery. I'm just not sure if you could do aerobatic training before you have your PPL, eg. Student Pilot License. Also, is it a rating? Or just training that is highly recommended? Also, where do I find a CFI that teaches it and an aerobatic aircraft to rent. I think a Super Decathlon looks fun and could be used as a learning tool. My aircraft that I'm training in is a tailwheel already. My plan is work on PPL, work on Aerobatic course, work on IFR, get PPL and IFR on my 17th b-day and go from there. Any websites out there dedicated to aerobatics? Thanks.
 

VNugget

suck squeeze bang blow
Joined
Dec 4, 2002
Posts
809
Total Time
1700
Not a rating, just training like any other.

I suggest you do it. You'll be doing the instrument later anyway, take this chance to have some fun and learn how planes really fly.
 

MFRskyknight

Don't F with Chuck
Joined
Jun 28, 2004
Posts
315
Total Time
low
I'm not sure where you're located, but there's a place up in Creswell, OR a couple hours north of me that has something like a 10-hour aerobatic course. They teach you in either a Pitts S-2B or a Zlin 242L, or both, whatever you want. Kinda spendy but you do spins plus a ton of other maneuvers. As soon as I can scrape $2500 together I'm thinking about that... it would be a blast, for sure.

Oh, here's their site... www.wingoveraerobatics.com.

I might even do the $550 spin course... looks like fun!

MFR
 

Lead Sled

Sitt'n on the throne...
Joined
Apr 1, 2004
Posts
2,066
Total Time
> enuf
Joshrk22 said:
Okay I was thinking after my CFI has deemed me a safe and proficient pilot, is it possible to get aerobatic training? I'm only 16 so I can't get my PPL for another year from tomorrow. So I'm trying to decide what to do with "free-time". Is it better to get aerobatic training or Instrument rated first? I would think Aero because it will give you more knowledge on how an airplane handles and reacts, it also teaches spin recovery. I'm just not sure if you could do aerobatic training before you have your PPL, eg. Student Pilot License. Also, is it a rating? Or just training that is highly recommended? Also, where do I find a CFI that teaches it and an aerobatic aircraft to rent. I think a Super Decathlon looks fun and could be used as a learning tool. My aircraft that I'm training in is a tailwheel already. My plan is work on PPL, work on Aerobatic course, work on IFR, get PPL and IFR on my 17th b-day and go from there. Any websites out there dedicated to aerobatics? Thanks.
Definately go for the aerobatic training. It's one of those things that will definately make you a better pilot. While you're at it, I'd also spend a little time and get that tailwheel endorsement. It is also one of those things that will make a better pilot out of you. Finally, as long as I'm talking about things that make better pilots...

You're 16, you're old enough to get your PPL-Glider. It won't take long to knock that one out especially if you have any fixed-wing experience at all. Personally, I feel that experience in all 3 - tailwheel, aerobatics, and gliders - really help a guy to learn how airplanes fly and understand the forces at work. They really do make you a better pilot and beside that, they're all a lot of fun.

'Sled
 

RefugePilot

Paperwork Proficient
Joined
Jan 26, 2006
Posts
283
Total Time
4400
Lead Sled said:
You're 16, you're old enough to get your PPL-Glider. It won't take long to knock that one out especially if you have any fixed-wing experience at all. Personally, I feel that experience in all 3 - tailwheel, aerobatics, and gliders - really help a guy to learn how airplanes fly and understand the forces at work. They really do make you a better pilot and beside that, they're all a lot of fun.

'Sled
Good idea, a glider rating will alow you to fly with friends and develop your skills without an instructor babling at you. Can he fly a motorglider? My school has one. If so you could even go places in a motorglider once you have your rating. You will learn a lot by being able to go on cross countrys on your own.
 

Joshrk22

Sierra Hotel
Joined
Feb 26, 2006
Posts
230
Total Time
696969
Well the plane I'm learning in is a Taylorcraft so I already get my tailwheel when I get my PPL. My CFI teaches in SE, ME, IFR, and Glider. So Im trying to knock out PPL, Tailwheel, Aerobatic, IFR, ME, and glider by the the time I hit 17. It's going to be tough and pricey but I think I can do it. He's only chargin' me $20/hr anyways. The aircraft is a Taylorcraft for $15/hr and a Cherokee for $25/hr. I'm not sure if he teaches Aerobatic courses, I will have to call him and find out. He used to have a Citabria though.
 

epic!

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 3, 2006
Posts
702
Total Time
some
Joshrk22 said:
...He's only chargin' me $20/hr anyways. The aircraft is a Taylorcraft for $15/hr and a Cherokee for $25/hr.

wow thats really cheap
 

RefugePilot

Paperwork Proficient
Joined
Jan 26, 2006
Posts
283
Total Time
4400
Joshrk22 said:
Well the plane I'm learning in is a Taylorcraft so I already get my tailwheel when I get my PPL. My CFI teaches in SE, ME, IFR, and Glider. So Im trying to knock out PPL, Tailwheel, Aerobatic, IFR, ME, and glider by the the time I hit 17. It's going to be tough and pricey but I think I can do it. He's only chargin' me $20/hr anyways. The aircraft is a Taylorcraft for $15/hr and a Cherokee for $25/hr. I'm not sure if he teaches Aerobatic courses, I will have to call him and find out. He used to have a Citabria though.
Maybe he should by a pitts special and charge me $60hr for dual aerobatic lessons. Does he have a twin I could rent for $40hr wet? With prices like that, I could afford to fly on my days off.
 

Lead Sled

Sitt'n on the throne...
Joined
Apr 1, 2004
Posts
2,066
Total Time
> enuf
RefugePilot said:
Good idea, a glider rating will alow you to fly with friends and develop your skills without an instructor babling at you. Can he fly a motorglider? My school has one. If so you could even go places in a motorglider once you have your rating. You will learn a lot by being able to go on cross countrys on your own.
Yes, you can solo a motorglider at 14 and get your PPL in one at 16.

If Joshrk22 were to get his initial PPL in a glider he could do it this year when he was 16 and just do a ASEL add-on when get turns 17. Something to think about.

'Sled
 

Joshrk22

Sierra Hotel
Joined
Feb 26, 2006
Posts
230
Total Time
696969
Lead Sled said:
Yes, you can solo a motorglider at 14 and get your PPL in one at 16.

If Joshrk22 were to get his initial PPL in a glider he could do it this year when he was 16 and just do a ASEL add-on when get turns 17. Something to think about.

'Sled

Wouldn't it be better to go for my ASEL first and then glider, since it would require less glider flights to get the add-on. If I did Glider than ASEL I would still need 40 hours for the add-on. I'm not sure if this guy has a glider and I don't think the club does. I will find out though. I don't really want to join a glider club to get my PPL-glider, I would rather stay in this club that I'm in now and learn to fly gliders here, but we'll see what happens.
 

Lead Sled

Sitt'n on the throne...
Joined
Apr 1, 2004
Posts
2,066
Total Time
> enuf
Joshrk22 said:
Wouldn't it be better to go for my ASEL first and then glider, since it would require less glider flights to get the add-on. If I did Glider than ASEL I would still need 40 hours for the add-on. I'm not sure if this guy has a glider and I don't think the club does. I will find out though. I don't really want to join a glider club to get my PPL-glider, I would rather stay in this club that I'm in now and learn to fly gliders here, but we'll see what happens.
Yes, but your glider time would count. If you're not going to have to wait long until you turn 17 then it's probably sixes. If you're still 15, then find a glider club and get to work - you'll be the better pilot for it.

'Sled
 

Joshrk22

Sierra Hotel
Joined
Feb 26, 2006
Posts
230
Total Time
696969
Lead Sled said:
Yes, but your glider time would count. If you're not going to have to wait long until you turn 17 then it's probably sixes. If you're still 15, then find a glider club and get to work - you'll be the better pilot for it.

'Sled

Okay I have one year till Im 17, just turned 16 today. Anyways, I will check out some glider clubs. How much can I look to spend on PPL-Glider? I will call the flight club and my CFI tomorrow to see what they have available. I know some of the guys have motorgliders, but getting to use them is a whole different story. I don't want to spend too much and not have enough money for my PPL-ASEL or my Aero or IR.
 

RefugePilot

Paperwork Proficient
Joined
Jan 26, 2006
Posts
283
Total Time
4400
Joshrk22 said:
Wouldn't it be better to go for my ASEL first and then glider, since it would require less glider flights to get the add-on. If I did Glider than ASEL I would still need 40 hours for the add-on. I'm not sure if this guy has a glider and I don't think the club does. I will find out though. I don't really want to join a glider club to get my PPL-glider, I would rather stay in this club that I'm in now and learn to fly gliders here, but we'll see what happens.
On most every rating there is a requirement for total time, night time, cross country time, etc, etc. Then at least x amount of hours in category and class of aircraft for the rating being sought.

When you go to get your instrument rating your flight experience will need to include 40 hours of instrument time, 50 hours of cross country PIC, and 15 hours of instruction with an appropriately rated instructor. You can get all this time and experience as a glider pilot and apply it to your instrument rating, or beyond.

An example: you need 1500 hours of flight time to qualify for ATP airplane, only 250 of those hours need to be in an airplane, the rest of those can be in any combination of aircraft. Which just gave me an idea. If I can get my balloon rating and get on with Steve Fosset on one of his next jaunts, I could really build some impressive time.
 

Lead Sled

Sitt'n on the throne...
Joined
Apr 1, 2004
Posts
2,066
Total Time
> enuf
Joshrk22 said:
I don't want to spend too much and not have enough money for my PPL-ASEL or my Aero or IR.
RefugePilot said:
On most every rating there is a requirement for total time, night time, cross country time, etc, etc. Then at least x amount of hours in category and class of aircraft for the rating being sought.

When you go to get your instrument rating your flight experience will need to include 40 hours of instrument time, 50 hours of cross country PIC, and 15 hours of instruction with an appropriately rated instructor. You can get all this time and experience as a glider pilot and apply it to your instrument rating, or beyond.

An example: you need 1500 hours of flight time to qualify for ATP airplane, only 250 of those hours need to be in an airplane, the rest of those can be in any combination of aircraft.
Get someone to help you crunch the numbers. You'll probably find that from a cost point of view, going the initial PPL-Glider route won't effect the overall cost to complete your Commercial/Instrument/ASEL all that much. When you consider the additional skill and proficiency that you will gain as a direct result of the glider (and akro) training, any additional costs are a bargain. Ask yourself the question: Do I want to become a pilot or do I want to become a really good pilot?

'Sled
 
Last edited:
Top