Aerial Firefighting

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

stmi0203

Does anyone have info on dropping smokejumpers/retardant or flying lead aircraft? I've checked out www.afia.com and the Forestry Service websites. Where can I find info on contractors? I'd also like to know what a typical day is, QOL stuff, and what pilot jobs people have had prior to aerial firefighting. Is this a stepping stone or more of a career?

Indeed, PM avbug. He's DA MAN when it comes to aerial fire suppression.

I know todo that kind of flying, u need to be carded by the OAS division of the Forset service, and to to take the checkride fro the card, u need 1500 hoursTT. In a former life, I was involved in this sorta thing, please pm me if ya wanna know more.

Tpdc-3

Rhoades Aviation holds a contract for hauling smoke jumpers with a turbo prop DC-3. I doubt they are hiring as they have sold off just about every aircraft they have. Last I heard they aren't even operating 121 anymore! At one point they were some what good company to work for, but then again that was in the 80s. I belief the director of Ops. is still Jack Travis.
Hope that helps.

Hello stmi0203 just to give you some help with your questions. First off there are no longer any large airtankers flying in the US execpt for CL-215's on state contracts and 5 P-3A's from Aero-Union. As of May 10th of 2004 the USFS in all there wisdom primarily due to Tony Kern and Mark Ray grounded the fleet. AS for lead plane positions well there being chewed up pretty quickly by out of work tanker pilots that more than meet the USFS minimums of 200 hours below 200agl. As for the smoke jumping thing I do not know I never did it I was always on a large retardent bird. QOL well its what you make of it, good news is you make good money you work 180 to 90 day contracts a year take the rest off or do something else part time in the winter. Most of us would go back and work in the hangar on the planes because all the pilots for the company I worked for had to be A&P's, most places like that alot in there pilots. Most pilots came from flying air attack a couple seasons and those jobs are out there you just need to look but there filling fast since the season is around the corner. This is not a stepping stone job it pays to well and you end up loving it way to much to leave I mean some do but not many must of us stay the duration of our careers it gets in your blood and never leaves. Go to WWW.airtanker.com that is AAP's web page that is our union and all the contractors info is there to is a great site to get information. Also rumor is that the USFS realizes what they did and there is so much pressure to get the tankers back up from the states that they are going to put out 20 bids for tankers this year but the bids are so under priced some places are not even going to bid. Anyways hope that helps a little I know information is hard to come by I know when I was trying to get my seat no one would help so if there is anything I can do or point you in the right direction to get you in the industry do not hesitate to pm me.

All the tankers are contracts, and not flying as stated above. The guys who fly jumpers here are Forest service employees. (mso). 1500 to do anything for the Forest Circus. Good Luck

If you want to break into aerial firefighting, the way to do it is to find a contractor who supplies "air attack" aircraft to USFS or BLM.

If you want to get into a tanker, about the only way it is going to happen for you is to fly ag for awhile and find a company that has Single Engine Air Tanker.

USFS pilot positions are pretty highly sought after these days, and you better have a fair amount of fire experience to even think about being competitive.

I have been involved in wildland firefighting since 2002. Air attack pilot, ground pounder, tanker copilot, and probably air attack this summer.

414flyer I am guessing here but if you were on T-65 you were with Butler. I have heard a rummor that Norman is bidding for the 7's and one 4 to go back. If so any chance you will get your seat back.

Latest resources

Back