Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
clarify some

A couple of other answers.

AEPS hosts their site and has all their own servers and T1 lines, routers, and equipment.

UPAS is effectively under control of the courts right now if I understand the situation.

Airfairs and Magazine are all done in house except for printing.

Kit Darby's character

Pub, you and I have found common ground again. Enigma got it right as well about Air, Inc. and its ancestor, FAPA, of which Kit was also impressario.

Last edited:
well Publisher I usually don't agree with what you have to say but this time I also agree to the previous post.

Hey everybody this is America and if you don't like the services of AEPS then you don't have to join.

I am not a member and will not be a member. That is my choice. Just like if you don't like a program on TV because of the violence then you don't have to watch it. It is your choice, change the channel. Unfortunately the airlines (Delta) supposedly screens from UPAS and "only" hires from UPAS.

The funny thing is that I have never met anybody that was hired from AEPS or UPAS. If you think it is a scam then don't join.

I will not pay for their services so I guess that I won't be working for Delta anytime soon........

just my .02

LearAv8r-

Don't forget that Kit had no problem taking money (180$ PP) even after he applied for Chpt 7 with FAPA. Only problem there was that he shure didn't let anyone know about that bankrupcy action. He even tried to make it look like he wasn't part of the company anymore. Never paid them another cent.;)

message from AEPS

To: All AEPS Members and Member Companies
Re: AEPS Bankruptcy Rumor

A rumor has been circulating indicating that AEPS "The On-line Job
Connection" has filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy. This is simply not
true. AEPS "The On-line Job Connection" is NOT in bankruptcy and continues doing business as usual.

While we are aware of the rumor, we believe you needed to know the truth. AEPS is now and will continue to be the aviation industry leader in database hiring. Currently, we have a database of over 85,000 members and over 7,000 aviation company recruiters. We are here to serve you today and
we will be here tomorrow with fair and reasonable prices along with outstanding service.

We urge you to contact us if we can be of assistance. Thank you for being loyal to AEPS during these stressful times.

Kind regards
Jim Dent

Thanks Bobby

Thanks Bobby

The only thing that really gets me about Kit is he is advertising that United and American Eagle will be at his show in Atlanta recruiting for pilots.

Companies pay nothing to come to his show and sometimes he will pick up the hotel too. At the AEPS jobfairs, everyone pays to come so at least they are serious.

He has been after UPAS and ALPA must think he will pay them for it.

Kit's fraud

It's a sham. Neither of those airlines are hiring. People will show up to Kit's job fairs, hoping for some encouragement, and Kit will lead them down the primrose path to nowhere. Forewarned is forearmed. Kit can put on any kind of show he wants. It doesn't mean that one has to go and/or swallow his bull.

I heard on NPR this morning that the "experts" agree that the recession is over, although they have no idea when improvement will begin. You watch; Kit will trot out his forty-thousand-pilots-are-needed-over-the-next-ten-years malarkey. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
It is reassuring to know that so many pilots know so much about my company and me. We offer a system that has helped nearly 200,000 pilots over the years and with that many customers it is safe to say that not everybody is happy all the time.

These recent postings contain numerous inaccurate statements so I thought I would give the company and my personal view from one who was and is there.

As for taking money at FAPA. - I was forced out of FAPA in 1989 having built the company to 12 times its original size because my partner did not want to pay me the percentage he had agreed to in our contract. My partner was going to buy my 1/3 share but never did so I started AIR, Inc. in my home with no money. I was and still am an active United pilot - it is airline number 4 for me after Braniff, Capitol, and Republic. After I was forced to leave FAPA I resigned my corporate position as Exec. VP and had to sue to get my share of the company (which I never received). I had no part in FAPA's demise, which came 7 years later as the result of failing to pay payroll taxes among other things. I purchased my 1/3 and my partners 2/3 of the assets from the IRS at auction for $62,000 in early 1997. FAPA’s bankruptcy was thrown out for lack of an attorney and the IRS took over and sold the assets. Nobody lost more in the failure of FAPA than I did and all I could do was watch my investment go up in smoke - about $1,000,000 in stock and back wages. So I feel your pain but I did not take money at FAPA and then not deliver the goods as someone here suggests. In fact we offered ex-FAPA members the best possible deal to continue their services with AIR, Inc. at our cost.

As I understand it AEPS purchased UPAS from ALPA (actually The Software Holding Company owned by ALPA) for about $1.6 million and a share of profits or revenue. They have not made any but the first few payments so most of it is now due because they are in default for the last few years (not just due to 9/11 as they might want you to believe). They used the asset of AEPS and World Employment Data (their holding company?) plus Mr. Dent to guarantee the purchase of UPAS. ALPA is suing for the assets of UPAS, AEPS, WED, and Mr. Dent to try to get their money. ALPA money is of course all pilot money from union dues. ALPA had invested more than the $1.6 million sales price in UPAS prior to the sale to AEPS.

My limited review of the facts shows that the Florida AEPS that failed has the same address, owner and company name (almost) as that listed in AviationCareer.net magazine, and the same owner as WED /AEPS/AviationCareer.net in Nevada (but they are totally separate of course). To verify what I am saying go to the web sites for the Secretary of State sites for Florida and Nevada and search for James N. Dent. Try http://www.sunbiz.org/corpweb/inquiry/cormenu.html and http://sos.state.nv.us/ofcsrh3.asp.

If ALPA is successful in obtaining the assets of UPAS, AEPS and/or WED, AIR, Inc. has optioned those assets in exchange for providing services to the large group of ALPA furloughed pilots. Initial notice has been given in the past few months for return of the UPAS asset and to stop continued use of the asset by AEPS. Trial is set for next month (July) in Virginia state court. Time will tell what will happen. The whole process could take years but at least months to resolve.

It cost AIR, Inc. at least 95% of what we charge to provide the products and services we produce - in this post 9/11 market it is over 100%. I took no salary from AIR, Inc. for the first seven years, never more than $24,000 in a single year over the past few years and I am back to zero after 9/11. I do not actually expect to make big money at AIR, Inc. although many assume that is the case. What money has been made over the past years has been reinvested in new or improved products and services. If you want to view AIR, Inc. products and services plus what I do as a big rip off – you are entitled to do so but it simply does not match the facts. You are getting what you pay for from AIR, Inc. now and will in the future. It is of course your choice to play or not. The information we provide is only a tool. You can get the job done, in most cases with out the right tools, it just takes longer – don’t bust a knuckle!

Kit Darby
President & Publisher
AIR, Inc.

PS. Our job fair in Atlanta July 12-14 will have all 4 majors, FedEx, UPS, SWA, and Alaska plus 20-25 more airlines, that are or will be hiring this year and a few that are not like United. They attend to let pilot know the status of future hiring so pilots who wish to work there can plan. In this job market we do everything we can to attract airlines and that includes no booth fees. Many airlines will not spend $2,000 plus expenses to meet with pilots on their weekend off in this job market. The numbers and quality of airlines attending our job fair proves this approach is the best choice for now. We offer offer 18 hours of worshops plus a 6 hours seminar/airline forum on Saturday prior to a 4 hour job fair. Ounce again you get what you pay for!

Hey, Kit!!!!!

Now, this is rich. That Kit finally confronts his accusers!

Flamebait?? We are all anonymous, so this post could be from anyone. However, "Kit's" profile and comments sound credible, from what I recall about his bio. Accordingly, I will treat this and respond to "Kit" as if this is all legit.

I have but one comment, though, "Kit:" How in good conscience do you continue disseminating sophistries about a "pilot shortage?" According to books I've read, perhaps it was true briefly in the sixties, when the majors were hiring pilots with low time or just a Private. But, since then and these days? I . . . don't . . . think . . . so, "Kit." :rolleyes:

How about in the mid to late '80s, "Kit?" You said in 1987 that forty thousand pilots would be needed during the next ten years. Well, sir, I heard you and fell in step with you. But, sadly, I found in the late '80s and early '90s that there was nooooo pilot shortage. No one wanted me. For that matter, not many people wanted the Eastern, Midway and Pan Am pilots who lost their jobs because of bankruptcies and shutdowns. How do you explain that one, "Kit???"

What about now, "Kit?" Where, e.g., Be A Pilot.com quotes your recent proclamation of a "pilot shortage" to encourage people to pursue the career? That was the Be A Pilot.com that earned a box in a recent Parade magazine in your Sunday paper. C'mon, "Kit!" We all know it's not true. Go ask the furloughees who are hoping for that recall phonecall.

Okay, "Kit," I will say in all fairness that thanks in part to you I got into aviation and, for the most part, enjoyed my time in it, until your "pilot shortage" was filled. Also, "Kit," you did sell me some books that I found useful while you were running FAPA. And, "Kit," I enjoyed your monthly ragazine, Career Pilot, and used your advertisers. For these things, I thank you.

No, "Kit," you can't make everyone happy all the time. And, you probably can't help every pilot who looks to you for help. However, you should not be spreading untruths about a "pilot shortage."

Have a good day, "Kit."

I guess this is a flame. I don't like flaming because it really serves no purpose - except this time.

Last edited:
Hiring boom and a pilot shortage are to different things. My words are no shortage of people, who want to be pilots, or pilots who want to be professional pilots or professional pilots who want to be airline pilots. I always use the additional phrase "qualified and experienced" when I discuss any type of pilot shortage. I go on to say that I do no believe that we will ever see a true shortage like we had in the mid-sixties where the airlines were paying for training - not in my lifetime.

What the editors at aviation magazines choose to pull from our news releases I cannot control. To see what the entire news release says go to http://www.jet-jobs.com/guestframe.html. Please note all of the detailed furloughed pilot information that puts the real picture in perspective. There is and never has been anything but a denial of a shortage from AIR, Inc. or me.

From 1993 to 2001 there were over 106,000 new jobs at the 200+ airlines we track - if that is not a boom then what is? Sure some jobs were lost after deregulation but many more were created too. I guess it is a test of our optimisim as to whether the glass is half-full or half-empty.

My publisher letter from the thick of the hiring boom follows:

Pilot shortage?
What pilot shortage?

Dear AIR, Inc. member and ALPC Readers:

Lately, when I talk to members of the media—national newspapers, magazines, TV, and radio—their questions almost always include the assumption that there is a pilot shortage. They all seem to be feeding on the shortages at the major airlines due to short-term labor unrest, or on schedule reductions at some of the smaller airlines. I am always offended by their fixation, because without qualifiers, this view is inaccurate and quite honestly, unacceptable.
While it’s true that major airlines like United and Delta have pointed to a lack of pilots as the reason for their recent flight cancellations, when we talk about pilot shortages, we must remember there are 635,000 licensed pilots in the U.S., plus nearly 30,000 military pilots. There is no lack of people who want to be pilots, no lack of pilots who want to be professionals, and no lack of professional pilots who want to be airline pilots. There is, however, a shortage of qualified and experienced pilot applicants that the airlines are used to seeing—especially at the regional level.
The average qualifications for pilots getting a major airline job confirm that these airlines are not facing an applicant shortage. The average civilian pilot is 34 years old and has 5,300 hours—more than 21 times the FAA minimum of 250 hours to do the job—and military pilots average 37 years old, with over 3,300 hours total. The airlines themselves set the standards for both minimum requirements and competitive qualifications, and if they need to, there is plenty of room to reduce their minimum and/or competitive levels to create an entirely new group of “qualified and experienced” pilots. The worst that might happen would be the need for additional training to replace the difference in qualifications or experience. I am always mindful that the military successfully places pilots in the most sophisticated aircraft for extremely demanding missions after less than 300 hours of flight training—so it can be done.
The majors will hire close to 5,000 pilots this year, representing about eight percent of their 63,000 pilots—busy, but manageable, although many major airlines have been limited in hiring by the number of pilots they can train. National carriers will hire about 6,800 new pilots, or about 35 percent of their current 19,500 pilot workforce—which probably is a little too hectic, but they’re getting the job done. The regional airlines, both jet and non-jet, will hire about 2,650 pilots each (5,300 total), representing a whopping 73 percent of their 7,200 pilots—which is very hard to do and some shortages are being reported.
The “pilot shortage” problem has more to do with qualified and experienced pilots not being in the right place at the right time, than with an overall pilot shortfall. The choice for some airlines may be to over-hire and stockpile pilots, or reduce the flying they do until they have the time to find and train replacement pilots, which easily could take several months. The point is, there is no lack of applicants; there may just be a shortage of qualified and experienced pilots at a particular airline, at least for the moment.
A few airlines, mostly in the regional category, have been unable to fill their classes. After experiencing more than 20 years of pilot surplus, it is easy for them to forget to reach out to applicants. In working with these airlines we often find they are not taking the steps they might to recruit for other career fields, like advertising and attending job fairs to promote opportunities at their airline. Occasionally, application/screening fees or high hiring minimums must be reevaluated to bring in more pilots more quickly. Usually, with some minor adjustments toward traditional recruiting techniques, these airlines are flush with qualified and experienced pilot applicants again.
Remember, most applicants are well above the FAA minimums to do the job, and all the airlines need to do is adjust their hiring standards to get all the “qualified and experienced” pilot applicants they need. Meanwhile, your job remains to be the best-qualified, most-experienced pilot you can until you get the job at the airline where you expect to retire.

Happy job hunting!
Kit Darby
President & Publisher

Latest resources

Back