• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Advice on starting a 125 cert.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You actually do all the work yourself, just study FAA Order 8900.10 and it outlines the process for you. However, it can quite frustrating. Presently according to my sources, the FAA is issuing NO new operating certificates. They claim they are over worked and under staffed to do any more than deal with the operators they have. Personally if they would stop trying to invent regulations to enforce and just enforce the regs on the books they would have many of the problems they presently do. A 125 certificate is considered less important than 121 or 135 certificates so those applicates would be handled last. I did a single pilot certificate several years ago and it took my over 6 months, so I would plan on a year or more. A quicker route would be find a 125 certifcate for sale. However, legal you can not buy just the certificate, you have to buy the company holding the certifcate.

Be aware that the FAA is planning to eliminate 125 and require the certificate holders to convert to 121 or surrender their certificates at some point in the not-distant future.

Be aware that the FAA is planning to eliminate 125 and require the certificate holders to convert to 121 or surrender their certificates at some point in the not-distant future.

Interesting, I was told by the FAA that all Pt 91 deviations are being canceled and that operators with those deviations must go 125.

You actually do all the work yourself, just study FAA Order 8900.10 and it outlines the process for you. However, it can quite frustrating. Presently according to my sources, the FAA is issuing NO new operating certificates. They claim they are over worked and under staffed to do any more than deal with the operators they have. Personally if they would stop trying to invent regulations to enforce and just enforce the regs on the books they would have many of the problems they presently do. A 125 certificate is considered less important than 121 or 135 certificates so those applicates would be handled last. I did a single pilot certificate several years ago and it took my over 6 months, so I would plan on a year or more. A quicker route would be find a 125 certifcate for sale. However, legal you can not buy just the certificate, you have to buy the company holding the certifcate.

This is what I am expecting, just looking for tips and mistakes others have made so that I may avoid them.

I can point you in the direction of a friend who has a aviation mangement business and currently has a 727 on a 125 certificate he started. However, he does this as a business and is going to charge you a fee.

Can you PM me the contact info, and ballpark fee please.

Interesting, I was told by the FAA that all Pt 91 deviations are being canceled and that operators with those deviations must go 125.

Not true. We were going to have to comply with 125, but we were not required to obtain the certificate.

Latest resources

Back