• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

3BCat

By Laura Mandaro, MarketWatch
Last Update: 7:11 PM ET Aug 30, 2007

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- ITT Corp. will tackle the first part of upgrading the nation's stretched and aging air-traffic control system under a newly awarded contract worth up to $1.8 billion, said the Federal Aviation Administration late Thursday.

Defense electronics-maker() ITT to win the 18-year contract.
The White Plains, N.Y. company will craft the keystone technology for the FAA's next-generation air control system, which will use satellites instead of the current radar system to pinpoint aircraft locations.
ITT's initial, three-year contract is worth $207 million but nearly $2 billion if all options are exercised.
[]
The nation's 1950's-era system of managing flight landings and take-offs has garnered much of the blame for a recent rise in flight delays. The airline industry has urged Congress to change the way it charges the air system's users to pay for the system's overhaul.
"This signals a new era of air traffic control," said FAA Deputy Administrator Bobby Sturgell in a statement. The FAA's planned modernization of the system "will attack the delay problem head on by dramatically increasing air traffic efficiency."
ITT and its team will install a national network of ground stations and the technology that will allow aircraft to send and receive information about location of other aircraft, in graphic form and trasmitted via satellites.
That system, named the ADS-B, or Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast, will be nearly 10 times more accurate than radar, says the FAA. And the use of satellites cuts down transmission time to one second from 5 to 10 seconds using radar.
ITT's team must have the system ready for use by 2010 and networked across the nation by 2013, said the FAA.
Shares in ITT fell 0.3% by the close of trading Thursday. Lockheed shares lost 0.7%, while Raytheon shares jumped 1.2%. [I]Laura Mandaro is a reporter for MarketWatch in San Francisco.[/I]

[I]And now, the rest of the story...[U]Make sure to check this out![/U][/I]

[URL]http://www.airsport-corp.com/adsb2.htm[/URL]

[I]I think we all need to educate ourselves a bit on this one. Not having a voice in how data is structured and transmitted, could cost lives. [B]ADS-B could threaten the safety of the flying public; pilots, passengers, and family members.[/B] [/I]

[I]Too much information is not a good thing.[/I]

ADS-B is just using the position info from the ADC/GPS and transmitting it to the ATC facility rather than relying on obsolete radar to interrogate the transponder...

Why the hell am I wasting my time explaining this to you? Look it up. The FAA has an excellent description of the system. Besides, like anything else in our business, if the company and/or gov't. wants to do it, they will. TC

http://www.airsport-corp.com/adsb2.htm
Unlike Aircraft Situational Display, ADS-B comes directly from the aircraft and is freely available to anyone with a 1090 MHz receiver without passing through any agency for filtering or control.
ADS-B collision avoidance equipment automatically reports the precise position of the aircraft and also the identity of the aircraft, twice per second.
Automatic Dependent Surveillance - Broadcast, ADS-B, links an unambiguous “This is Who I Am” with a very precise “This is Where I Am”. Never before in aviation have we put those two pieces of information together and broadcast them in the open for anyone to receive and use as they see fit. We should not do so now. Check it out. http://www.airsport-corp.com/adsb2.htm

Last edited:
I remember the only way to get the bush pilots to use it in Alaska was to give make the information unavailable for FAA enforcement. But that only lasted for 2 years.

The problem is that it will eventually be called Skynet, and will become "self-aware." :eek:

I used ADS-B in bush Alaska and it works great. The only issue was that it reported what you were doing and there are a lot of cowboys doing some "creative" flying out there.

"Automatic Dependent Surveillance - Broadcast, ADS-B, links an unambiguous “This is Who I Am” with a very precise “This is Where I Am”. Never before in aviation have we put those two pieces of information together and broadcast them in the open for anyone to receive and use as they see fit. We should not do so now."

what an idiot. mode s already broadcasts the aircraft ID for anyone with a masters degree in signal processing and the ability to manufacture high quality electronics to see. where's my tinfoil hat?

Latest resources

Back