• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Adding the .2 for each military sortie for an ATP

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You got 1400 now. Just wait the month or two and go when you hae the 1500. I started adding .3 to every sortie when I was in the C-5 and later went back and corrected my logbook. I log mil as T/O to land and Civ as block time. Its much easier later on when you are applying to just add the conversions you are allowed to from that particular company. Many have thier own rules for military time and they differ greatly. If you just add it now, you will run into a situation where you are subtracting out your .3 persortie and then adding thier particular conversion. That all said, they are just going to go by what on your Form 5 anyway.

Ditto to the last few posts. Your official flight time is what the military says it is. You are operating under THEIR rules, not FAA rules. You don't even have to HAVE an FAA license to log military time, and I am fairly certain most miltary pilots don't keep their FAA physicals up to date unless they are flying privately on the side. While some airlines may allow you to add time (for their interview process only) it is not official time you can log in your logbook. You will get the required time soon enough, and it will still be MUCH sooner than any of your civilian counterparts.

Well I don't have any knowledge on the subject, but I DO know one thing. Don't mess with Joe FED, forget about Joe Hobbs.
PS, Thanks for putting your butt on the line out there, while us Civvy guys were stiing pretty at home!

rstev1955 said:
You will get the required time soon enough, and it will still be MUCH sooner than any of your civilian counterparts.

Not if he can't add the .2

rstev1955 said:
Ditto to the last few posts. Your official flight time is what the military says it is. You are operating under THEIR rules, not FAA rules. You don't even have to HAVE an FAA license to log military time, and I am fairly certain most miltary pilots don't keep their FAA physicals up to date unless they are flying privately on the side. While some airlines may allow you to add time (for their interview process only) it is not official time you can log in your logbook. You will get the required time soon enough, and it will still be MUCH sooner than any of your civilian counterparts.

Your official flight time is not what the military says it is. Your official Military flight time is how you log it according to your particular military regs (ie: from takeoff to landing +5 minutes). However, if you hold an equivalent FAA license for the equipment you fly, then there shouldn't be any reason not to log the flight time (in accordance w/ civilan/FAA regs) in another log book. So, you could actually have 2 logbooks. I would take the "civilan" logbook to your ATP checkride.

By the way, most Guard and Reserve Military pilot do hold an FAA Class 1 or 2 physical, and quite a few AD guys also (the ones that do flying on the side and/or applying for flying jobs).

In any case, when you interview for an airline job, each airline treats military time differently. Therefore, I recommend taking all your logbooks to the interview, and also creating a 1 page summary sheet in accordance with the particular airline regulations. Just make sure you can justify your conversion factor to the airline.

Good Luck.

AArider said:
Your official flight time is not what the military says it is. Your official Military flight time is how you log it according to your particular military regs (ie: from takeoff to landing +5 minutes). .

Isn't that what i said??? The military says it is whatever their regs tell you to log.

AArider said:
However, if you hold an equivalent FAA license for the equipment you fly, then there shouldn't be any reason not to log the flight time (in accordance w/ civilan/FAA regs) in another log book. So, you could actually have 2 logbooks. I would take the "civilan" logbook to your ATP checkride.

This is where I differ with you. Fiirst, most military aircraft do not have a civilian counterpart. Yes I know a lot of the heavier aircraft do, but most others do not. Second, we log flight time based on the rules we are operating under. We are NOT operating under civilian rules, we are operating under military rules. I base this on Part 61, Section 61.73h which states for a military pilot, evidentiary documentation is:

(4) A certified U.S. Armed Force logbook or an appropriate official U.S. Armed Force form or summary may be used to demonstrate flight time in military aircraft as a member of a U.S. Armed Force.

You might find someone who will allow you to use your own logbook (padded) as evidence, but I certainly would not risk my civilian license on it.

AArider said:
By the way, most Guard and Reserve Military pilot do hold an FAA Class 1 or 2 physical, and quite a few AD guys also (the ones that do flying on the side and/or applying for flying jobs).

My post said "unless they are flying privately on the side". I was not considering Guard and Reserve, who probably already HAVE 1500 hours. And yes, I agree that mliitary pilots getting ready to job search should get a Class I. The vast majority of AD mliitary pilots, however, do not.

Bottom line: Log whatever you want to, but be prepared to accept the consequences when you are questioned why your logbook does not match your military records.

I'll bet the major airlines/employers use the "standard" of flight time +5 minutes. If you use more, then you are setting yourself up for a failed interview. Do you really need the extra 50 hours that padding the hours will give you. Everyone I know that went to United used the "5 minute" rule. I heard of others that didn't, and didn't get hired.
Yeah, go ahead.... start the furlough jokes.

Huggyu2 said:
I'll bet the major airlines/employers use the "standard" of flight time +5 minutes.

If it was up to me I would never hire someone who showed up at an interview with a logbook that does not match their military records.

I think you'd have plenty of company, rstev1995. Padding a logbook is a pretty grave offense among pilots, and there just don't tend to be very many acceptable answers to "my records say I have X hours, but because ______ I'm giving myself some more." Now, some companies in their hiring process will do such manipulations for their own considerations, such as counting tactical jet time double, or weighting military time at 150%, or adding .3 per sortie, or whatever. But that's their own computation for their hiring process, not an FAA thing.

Now, if someone has kept a logbook since day 1, and each entry notes an exact block-out time (that the aircraft began moving for the purpose of powered flight, per the FAA definitions) and an exact block-in time, with full tail number, intermediate stops (i.e. 3 T&G's at KXYZ), precise night time & instrument time (as hours/minutes, not .4), types of approaches performed (i.e. ILS @ KABC), instructor signatures for training rides & evaluator signatures for the checkrides, notation of which sorties one actually held the "A" code (designated PIC), etc etc etc, THEN you might have a decent case for "this is what I actually flew, block to block, and it's more accurate than the AF records." Some places still wouldn't want to see that, they'd want to compare apples to apples, i.e. your AF record to everyone else's AF records, but the FAA might be willing to look at your block-to-block numbers.

HOWEVER, to just go back arbitrarily after the fact and declare that the AF records must be short & it'd be more accurate to give myself an extra 100 hours, is exactly the sort of padding that pilots despise so much. Everybody would like to have more time, but your time is what the records say it is (be it an AFORMS printout, a logbook written by hand, a printout from an airline job, whatever), and I doubt the FAA pilots will be look any more kindly on a phantom hundred hours than anybody else will.

And then, as I alluded to in my previous post, the Feds may give you the "you're in a heap O trouble, boy" treatment, since they probably have some harsh things to say about somebody who puts down false numbers on government application forms.

Latest resources

Back