ACY incident?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flywrite

Anyone know about an incident or accident at Atlantic City a short time ago? My wife said she saw a blurb on the news about it, but I cant find anything else. It didnt sound like anything too bad.

Flywrite said:
Anyone know about an incident or accident at Atlantic City a short time ago? My wife said she saw a blurb on the news about it, but I cant find anything else. It didnt sound like anything too bad.

Not sure it was ACY but FoxNews was reporting a corporate jet had crashed. Pictures showed a what looked to be a CJ1/2/3 about 100 yards short of the runway in the water. Pax swam to shore, no injuries reported.

2000Flyer

The long runway at Bader is 2948'.

http://www.wnbc.com/news/4491610/detail.html

Plane Skids Off Atlantic City Runway Into Water

POSTED: 9:38 pm EDT May 15, 2005
UPDATED: 9:55 pm EDT May 15, 2005

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. -- Four people were rescued Sunday after a plane with apparent mechanical problems skidded of an Atlantic City runway.

The pilot of the private plane was trying to land at Atlantic City's Bader Field, NewsChannel 4 reported.

Because small jets are not allowed to land there, the airport manager suspects the plane was having a mechanical emergency and was forced to land on a runway that was too short for jets.

Boaters nearby rescued the four people aboard in Lakes Bay, a nearby inlet.

There were no major injuries reported.

Witnesses at a ball game near the crash site told NewsChannel 4 the Cessna Citation made three appoaches.

On the third try, they said it looked like the plane was going too fast and skidded off the runway.

I'm not familiar with the Atlantic City region, but in every place I've flown, if I'm able to make 3 approaches to land, the emergency isn't so dire that I can't make it to a more suitable airport.

At least everyone made it out safely.

bigD said:
I'm not familiar with the Atlantic City region, but in every place I've flown, if I'm able to make 3 approaches to land, the emergency isn't so dire that I can't make it to a more suitable airport.

My thoughts exactly.

no kidding in the time to make 3 approaches they could have gone over to ACY landed and been parked at the FBO.

Looks like the N.J. State Police are on the case...

Small Jet Goes Off Runway Into Bay in N.J.

By BRUCE SHIPKOWSKI
Associated Press Writer

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) -- A small corporate jet landing in Atlantic City ran off the runway when its brakes failed, careening into a bay. None of the four people on board - rescued by a boater and some residents - were seriously injured.

The Charlie Cessna Citation C-25A crashed about 4:30 p.m. Sunday at Bader Field Airport, authorities said.

The pilot, co-pilot and two passengers - all residents of Denmark in Atlantic City for a convention - were returning from a trip to Burlington, Vt. They were taken to a hospital where they were treated and released Sunday night.

An unidentified boater fishing in the area pulled the co-pilot and the two passengers from the jet. Some area residents who saw the crash used a small boat to reach the pilot.

One of the residents, Joe Clark, told the Courier-Post of Cherry Hill that the pilot was "calm but concerned with the plane."

Clark said he thought about using the boat to tow the jet closer to the docks but he abandoned that idea when one of the aircraft's engines suddenly revved up, causing flames and smoke to shoot out.

"I thought it was going to blow up," Clark said.

The 10-passenger jet, owned by Weibel Scientific Inc. of Denmark, was expected to be towed away sometime Monday.

A company spokesman declined comment on the crash, which is being investigated by the Federal Aviation Administration, the National Transportation Safety Board and state police.

Just saw the video of it on CNN, that was something to see!

As for the news story FN FAL posted, what the heck is a Charlie Cessna Citation 25-A? They butchered that one! It obviously was a CitationJet 2, which leads me on to the next point. Does ANYONE out there know of a 10-seater CJ2?? We can barely cram 7 passengers into ours (one riding on the lavatory.)

The CJ's have really good short-field performance - we've taken it into 3,500 foot field several times, but I think if the runway is as short as stated, then this guy was just plain nuts.

Dare I go out on a limb here and say "Owner/Operator"??

Had CNN playing in the background, and they were interviewing a lineman there at the Atlantic City airport.

He said he was suprised to look up and see a jet coming into the airport, he saw on the go-around that it was a jet from overseas, and thought that he might've been lost and meant to be going to the larger airport just a few miles up the road.

He was then shocked when it came by again and made another attempt. Once the wheels touched down he immediately got on the phone to 911, cause he knew the airplane was going to be in trouble.

Another thing he said that was interesting was that in the number of years that he had worked at the airport, the largest plane he had seen fly in there was a "twin propeller" type - and never before a jet.

Latest resources

Back