Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
N500RA: Bob Hoover's Shrike Commander

Airworthiness

Engine Manufacturer LYCOMING Classification Experimental Engine Model IO-540 SER Category Exhibition A/W Date 05/29/1980

N4993W: Commander 114 that Bob Hoover did an acro (oops!) demo in. Maybe the N number has been reassigned?

Airworthiness

Engine Manufacturer LYCOMING Classification Standard Engine Model IO-540 SER Category Normal A/W Date 05/22/1978

N401ST: Columbia that Sean Tucker uses for upset training

Airworthiness

Engine Manufacturer CONT MOTOR Classification Experimental Engine Model TSIO-550-C Category Exhibition A/W Date 06/12/2007

It is possible to move an aircraft in and out of a catagory.

As an example, I worked for a company that would place their DC-3s in the Restricted catagory for spray season and place them back in the Transport catagory at the end of the season.

Once back in Transport catagory, the airplanes were operated on 121 and 135 certificates.

From the AIM: Acrobatic Flight - An intentional Maneuver involving abrupt change.... blaa blaa.

Before you hang a guy out to dry for proper terminology you might want to look it up.

stearmann4, that was a nice response. I once discovered why a Stearman has a stick that is the size of a Louisville Slugger-it has to be that strong to drag the thing around!

One of the best rides that I ever performed rapid changes in attitude in was the two seat Bucker-what a nice airplane! If you ever get the chance, do it!

Hoover's show in that Shrike was stellar, wasn't it?

stearmann4, that was a nice response. quote]

Belch,

That means alot coming from a freight dog! I'm always amazed at the ridicule some people subject themselves to on a public forum. I guess the offenders must all assume we're mostly naive' student pilots.

Yes, rolling a Stearman is most always a two fisted afair..but don't ya just love it? I just spent 2 hours yesterday in a T-6 brushing up and almost forgot how nicely the controls are balanced in contrast.

I've heard the Buckers are nice little bi-planes, maybe for retirement.

Mike-

I used to be quite the airport bum when I was single. I was in the Pacific NW at the time and there were so many fun little fly-ins...Concrete, Orcas Island, the NWAAC in Vancover WA, Prosser...rode in all kinds of rightious old machines and a few homebuilts. All kinds of interesting attitudes. The only thing that ever completely creeped me out was tailslides. Never did one myself, just rode along. Used to love doing hammerheads though!

Now everything is smooth and straight and level. The most fun I've had was high altitude upset training...

Definitions

You wont find the true differences between the two terms in a dictionary, as they are part of aviation lore.

Seems some of us forgot.

Normal people fly acro. Pr@cks attempt to fly aerobatics.

edit. Before all you aerobatic pilots jump down my throat, add to my profile S2A-B, 8KCAB, Eagle, RV4, SGS 1-26 (fine acro ride), and my one and only airshow stead, Luscombe 8A.

Last edited:
You can do acro in any airplane you feel like. The placards are for liability reasons from the manufacturer.
Is it smart to do aerobatics in a normal category airplane? Probably not. Is it possible? absolutely. I seem to remember some hotshot rolling a 707 at some point in time, and as far as I am aware that airplane was certainly not certified at +6 and -3.

Just my nickle.

Oh and to you aero people.
Acroduster
Acrosport
Grob twin Acro
ETC ETC ETC.

Lighten up.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back