• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Acro in Standard Category...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just make sure to put on some tights and dance shoes if you are gonna do ACROBATICS in a plane.

I think if you take off your tights and loosen up you'll feel much better. :D Now I'm off for some sunset acro in our beater Citabria... or would that be airbatics?

Civ/Mil: Civilian
A/C Flown: C-152, C-172, C-177, C-303T, PA-28-160, PA-38-112, PA-28R-180, PA-30-160, PA-44-180, C-90B, SF-340, EMB135/140/145
Ratings: ATP-AMEL, EMB-145 SF-340, CASMEL-IA, CFII-ME
No acro there, bit maybe some tights.

Man it must really burn you guys up to sit in an aircraft certificated under the ACROBATIC category and reading all the placards about permitted ACROBATIC maneuvers and CG loadings to stay in the ACROBATIC category as opposed to normal.
Well, I've never been one to think that just because the Feds Against Aviation used a term that I"d have to use it too.
I agree: my 7 year old is an acrobat! I'm an "aerobat"!!!

I see we have met the 'flight info section" of the aerobatic community. You guys probably couldn't compete your way out of a paper bag but could definately take first place in sitting on the ground and arguing over how to "say things right".

Only here would people take a thread like this about one of the best parts of flying (which a majority of the people on this site haven't ever experienced)and start bickering about how to say it. What, have you guys sat in the back seat of a citabria and watched someone roll it once? And now you're all experts on Acro-Aero-Flippo-Rollo?

This is starting to sound like a part 141 oral on acro given by a dude with 5 hours in a decathlon.

Perhaps we can start another thread about people who say Christian Eagle instead of Christen Eagle. Or WAY-co instead of WAH-co. Or Pitot instead of PI-toe tube.

I thought perhaps this would go in the direction of watching people do some sharp stuff in airplanes we never imagined would be on the airshow circuit.

Or maybe how yes, Luscombes and Cubs and Taylorcrafts can be aerobated in the Standard category, but unless you watched the plane being restored first hand, and can be sure that luscombe doesn't have nasty surprises tucked deep within the metal you can't ever inspect, perhaps you should just leave the old gals to an easy life in retirement. Especially if you can't garuntee you won't screw up a simple loop or roll. (or get some good instruction)

(sorry to be annoyed, I just thought if anywhere on this site the Aerobat section would be free of the whiny spillout from the regionals section. I guess not!)

I see we have met the 'flight info section" of the aerobatic community. You guys probably couldn't compete your way out of a paper bag but could definately take first place in sitting on the ground and arguing over how to "say things right".

Only here would people take a thread like this about one of the best parts of flying (which a majority of the people on this site haven't ever experienced)and start bickering about how to say it. What, have you guys sat in the back seat of a citabria and watched someone roll it once? And now you're all experts on Acro-Aero-Flippo-Rollo?

This is starting to sound like a part 141 oral on acro given by a dude with 5 hours in a decathlon.

Perhaps we can start another thread about people who say Christian Eagle instead of Christen Eagle. Or WAY-co instead of WAH-co. Or Pitot instead of PI-toe tube.

I thought perhaps this would go in the direction of watching people do some sharp stuff in airplanes we never imagined would be on the airshow circuit.

Or maybe how yes, Luscombes and Cubs and Taylorcrafts can be aerobated in the Standard category, but unless you watched the plane being restored first hand, and can be sure that luscombe doesn't have nasty surprises tucked deep within the metal you can't ever inspect, perhaps you should just leave the old gals to an easy life in retirement. Especially if you can't garuntee you won't screw up a simple loop or roll. (or get some good instruction)

(sorry to be annoyed, I just thought if anywhere on this site the Aerobat section would be free of the whiny spillout from the regionals section. I guess not!)[/quote]

I don't think this is the case. It's a matter of using proper english.

(sorry to be annoyed, I just thought if anywhere on this site the Aerobat section would be free of the whiny spillout from the regionals section. I guess not!)

Amen. . . . .

Men-n-Tights:
save the "proper english" lesson for the proper english, which I am not and neither are you. I am one of the idiots that clicked on this thread thinking some non-smart ass might actually answer the man's question as it struck my curiousity.

Dear fellow Pilots,

I hadn't considered standard or utility category aircraft being placed in the restricted category for the purpose of aerobatic demonstrations. Thanks for the explanation. For the most part the forum is a convenient clearing house of knowledge I'm too lazy to research myself.

As for my blatant and inexcusable use of the word "acro." I can assure you I am fully aware of the difference between acrobatics and aerobatics. Indeed if I were to engage in acrobatics, I would render myself tight wearing ball sniffer. It was entirely inappropriate to use slang in the presence of such scholarly and experienced aviators.

However, in order to broaden your aviation knowledge, I suggest joining the IAC, where you'll associated with a series of verbally ignorant pilots such as myself. Unfortunately you'll find we use "acro" with frequent and wreckless abandon to describe in brevity our chosen avocation. Should you be fortunate enough to spend some time in the company of aerobatic plots (not the aforementioned 7ECA CFI), you'll find they do alot of "acro". I cut my teeth on formation acro in a T-6. In fact I learned acro in a Clipped Wing Cub, our Stearman is a suitable acro mount, and (gasp), the Acrosport I once owned was joy to fly. Not to mention it's sibling the Acroduster. The helicopter I fly for a living...not so adept at acro.

With that, thanks to those that provided the explanation. I'll tuck it away in my quiver of trivia. To those of you gracious enough to correct my grammar, I'm afraid I'm a lost cause. I am forever humbled, and will keep your guidance in mind as I go practice some acro in my Pitts.

Sincerely,

Mike-

Last edited:
Amen. . . . .

Men-n-Tights:
save the "proper english" lesson for the proper english, which I am not and neither are you. I am one of the idiots that clicked on this thread thinking some non-smart ass might actually answer the man's question as it struck my curiousity.

You are a professional pilot aren't you? Shouldn't you know the proper terminology that goes along with it? Moron.

Huronip, when I was a young, inexperienced pilot like you, I had a similar attitude. I eventually grew out of it. Hope the same happens for you.

Last edited:
You are a professional pilot aren't you? Shouldn't you know the proper terminology that goes along with it? Moron.

If we were talking about LNAV + V vs. LPV, yes i would agree proper terminology is probably important. but the guy asked a question about aero/acro in a particularly certificated aircraft and as always a few "self-licking ice cream cones" piped in to let this guy know how smart they are. . I'm the moron?

whatever tool.

Latest resources

Back