Acro in Standard Category...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

stearmann4

I've seen great acro demonstrations in aircraft such as BE-18s, Shrike Commanders, Lears, etc. How do these performers obtain permission to perform acro in utility, or Standard category aircraft?

Mike-

The aircraft are placed in the Restricted catagory.

It's normal or utility that you can't go do acro in(other than placarded stuff like spins etc....)

Cubs and the like that have retained their "Standard" AW Cert can actually legally do acro. A friend of mine has the CAA paperwork that states this without question.

I've seen great acro demonstrations in aircraft such as BE-18s, Shrike Commanders, Lears, etc. How do these performers obtain permission to perform acro in utility, or Standard category aircraft?

Mike-

OK, exactly what "acrobatics" did you see these aircraft performing....walking on a tight rope, jumping through rings of fire...maybe a trapeze act without a net? Did you call the DOD (I just saw Transformers and think they should be alerted if you saw Airplanes performing ACROBATICS.

Maybe you meant aerobatics.

Man it must really burn you guys up to sit in an aircraft certificated under the ACROBATIC category and reading all the placards about permitted ACROBATIC maneuvers and CG loadings to stay in the ACROBATIC category as opposed to normal.

Yes, people, it's called acro. As in "acrobatic maneuvers" It also happens to be called aerobatics. Get over it.

Last edited:
Just make sure to put on some tights and dance shoes if you are gonna do ACROBATICS in a plane.

Go to Dictionary.com and look up the 2 words and you will see that AEROBATICS are done in Airplanes.

I will give you that it's commonly confused by the un-enlightened (just do a search of the internet for it, but for anyone with any type of flight experience to call it ACROBATICS is silly...if you want to do ACROBATICS join a circus....if you can't differentiate between the 2 words you have already passed the IQ test.

Years ago I was briefly involved with, but nonetheless involved with an airshow team. All I'll say is that it was evident to me that the people that did it referred to it as "low-level acro", or "formation acro". And I have to admit that it rolls off the tongue much easier than "low-level aerobatics" etc.

At the end of the day, who really cares?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back