Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Accelerated ratings, what do you think???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
it's taken me less than 6 weeks, got a 95% on my written yesterday, and my checkride is tomorrow... but i have no job, no family to feed, nothing like that. go in debt out of your ears to finance your flying. it's more fun that way :)

cforst513 said:
it's taken me less than 6 weeks, got a 95% on my written yesterday, and my checkride is tomorrow... but i have no job, no family to feed, nothing like that. go in debt out of your ears to finance your flying. it's more fun that way :)
the more things change, the more they stay the same. :)

shamrock said:
Are you talking .7 total in the airplane, as in on the Hobbs? That's just not enough. Even with a short taxi and a nearby practice area that leaves you with what, 15 to 20 minutes of airwork?

Where I instructed we scheduled 2 hour blocks for lessons and easily did 1 to 1.5 on the Hobbs, depending on how much pre or post brief we needed. Your instructor is doing you a disservice if all he can manage regularly is .7 per lesson.
i logged 3.0 hours on the hobbs yesterday just doing ALL my maneuvers for my pvt. checkride. you can only do so many turns around a point....

i think my average dual flight time is somewhere around 1.3-1.7 range, and we always reserved the aircraft for 2 hours. it's your money, man, make it worth it! make your instructor earn his pay.

"Try to do this in a tactful manner, without over stepping your position as student. Maybe this will make each lesson more productive. Hopefully he'll be receptive to your needs."

You are the customer. If the instructor isn't meeting your needs let him know about it. If you can't come to an agreement you might have to head off to somewhere else. If you are willing to fly 2-3 times a week and the weather cooperates there is no reason a PPL should take more than 90 days.

Good advice so far. I'd caution against the accelerated rating courses. While your current situation isn't producing the desired results, the accelerated course may cover material too quickly to be truly assimilated.

I don't think there's a need to have a long sit-down with your current instructor, at least not yet. I think you should simply ask if you can fly longer during your lessons. If he resists this, then you have the talk.

As one user pointed out, you do need to be assertive and exercise "PIC authority" over your training. It should be done professionally though.

-Goose

Metro752 said:
check if you are logging TACH and not actual time!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is there a difference. As far as I know, what goes into the log-book is taken straight from the hobbs meter, no?

tach moves slower than the hobbs does, meaning you're up there for longer than it shows. 1.0 on the hobbs might work out to be like 0.4 or 0.5 on tach.

an hour on the hobbs will be a bit more than .4, more like .8, depending on how hard u run the engine

Latest resources

Back