• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ACC upgrade time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If the clearance doesn't have a "left turns" in the clearance your to assume that it is a standard holding pattern and the standard holding pattern is to make right turns, basicaly opposite the standard traffic pattern.

-Brian

I know this. I'd like to know how I'm supposed to hold "northwest" of the Greenbay VOR on the 270 radial without making left turns though. I'm pretty sure he was really throwing a curve ball at me to mimick ATC screwing up and to see if I could sort it out. I couldn't and made left turns. That race track pattern got drawn in my mind and I started deciding on the best entry while I'm .7 from the fix on the DME and wham I make a teardrop and left turns. This was less than two minutes into the sim check. You can imagine how the rest went. The heat was on.

I know this. I'd like to know how I'm supposed to hold "northwest" of the Greenbay VOR on the 270 radial without making left turns though. I'm pretty sure he was really throwing a curve ball at me to mimick ATC screwing up and to see if I could sort it out. I couldn't and made left turns. That race track pattern got drawn in my mind and I started deciding on the best entry while I'm .7 from the fix on the DME and wham I make a teardrop and left turns. This was less than two minutes into the sim check. You can imagine how the rest went. The heat was on.

From the way i read it your coming from the east?, cross over the fix, performed a teardrop entry and upon crossing the fix the 2nd time made left turns as opposed to right? I don't see how making the turns to the left was your only option. Maybe a parallel entry would have been a better idea?

There is no way to hold northwest with that clearance, it should have read hold west of the greenbay VOR, i've seen that happen before, the hold west, east, etc. etc. has no meaning except as a reference for orientation puproses, the radial and make left or right turns are what matters here.

-Brian

I was coming from the south east. I had never heard that terminology either. It threw me for a loop and I figured it was some kind of odd challenge he wanted to throw at me. I quickly read back the clearance that included the "northwest" in it. Very odd. You have to admit though that if you make the left hand turns then the hold is on "northwest" of the VOR. I still take full responsibility....it was dumb for me to do that. If I were sharper or a little more confident I would have queried what "ATC" really meant by northwest instead of just hoping I was doing what he was expecting. I told him afterward that the northwest thing confused me and he said "west, northwest, it doesn't really matter....I meant west though. Can you tell me which direction turns are in a standard hold?"

Ummm...yeah....:blush: :bawling:

So let me get this straight, you've got a CFI and you don't know what direction "standard" holds are?

Can you tell me which direction turns are in a standard hold?"

Ummm...yeah....

What part of "yeah" do you not understand. Is "affirmative" what you're looking for. Let me say again, I took his clearance (like an idiot) to imply NON-STANDARD left turns. I thought it was some kind of odd curve ball he wanted to throw at me.

you should have bought the dreamfleet baron for msfs 2004. the default airplanes are junk

Personaly any company that bases their interview on a flight simulator is a joke, no matter how good the program and all of the junk that goes along with the MS2004 program (eye candy) it's still just a game. It's incredible but there is no way in my right mind I could give an interview in that, there's no easy way to dial in radios, the control throws in those yokes (CH products) sucks, there is no corelation between that and a real plane. Atleast with the ONTOP simulator or even a frasca whatever you can usualy go rent some sim time to prep for, how do you prep for the crappy gear on this thing? Personaly, big time joke.

-Brian

Personaly any company that bases their interview on a flight simulator is a joke, no matter how good the program and all of the junk that goes along with the MS2004 program (eye candy) it's still just a game. It's incredible but there is no way in my right mind I could give an interview in that, there's no easy way to dial in radios, the control throws in those yokes (CH products) sucks, there is no corelation between that and a real plane. Atleast with the ONTOP simulator or even a frasca whatever you can usualy go rent some sim time to prep for, how do you prep for the crappy gear on this thing? Personaly, big time joke.

-Brian

This is endless. Yes our sim sucks, deal with it, i did and so did the ~100 guys and gals who work here. The even upgrade some of us too. We are not the only company that uses such a sim to interview people. And our sim is definitely NOT the only one out there that flies nothing like a real plane.

This is endless. Yes our sim sucks, deal with it, i did and so did the ~100 guys and gals who work here. The even upgrade some of us too. We are not the only company that uses such a sim to interview people. And our sim is definitely NOT the only one out there that flies nothing like a real plane.

I'm not slamming you, and luckily I don't have to deal with it. Most sims don't fly like a real airplane, my problem is that for some people who this might be there first interview some sim prep would help alot to give a more sense of relaxation. Having a "game" allows no sim prep in the same conditions that you can expect during the actual interview. My company's sim sucks but atleast it's something that has real instruments and you sit in it, easy to tune, easy to ID, easy to adapt to what you've done in the real world.

-Brian

Latest resources

Back