Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

~~~^~~~

The RJ glut has arrived

I thought ACA was joking, trying to frighten UAL's management into conceeding a better deal on the codeshare, fee for departure, contract. The other side of this is that the Delta pilots are running around saying that their scope will pervent Delta from codesharing with a "Connection" partner that operates aircraft larger than permitted aircraft types under their scope.

Either ACA has decided ALPA's scope does not concern them, or they may be going it alone without Delta. Who knows, but this is interesting to watch.

If ACA has 85 "extra" RJ's from the United business and cancels another 34, that is more airplanes than ASA operates total! There may be a big glut in the market coming!

Bombardier stock slides on order concerns
Tuesday July 29, 10:45 am ET

MONTREAL, July 29 (Reuters) - Bombardier(Toronto:BBDb.TO - News) stock fell another 6 percent on Tuesday morning after a key U.S. client said it would likely cancel up to 34 aircraft orders, or 10 percent of Bombardier's regional aircraft order backlog.

Bombardier class B shares were down 27 Canadian cents at C$4.66 at mid morning on the Toronto Stock Exchange (News - Websites), where they were the most heavily traded issue. The stock has lost 11 percent in the last two days.

Atlantic Coast Airlines (NasdaqNM:ACAI - News) said on Monday it expects to cancel up to 34 orders for 50-seat regional jets in favor of 15 to 25 larger aircraft from Boeing Co.(NYSE:BA - News) or Airbus.

A Bombardier spokesman said Atlantic Coast had not officially informed the company of the order cancellation.

Atlantic Coast made the announcement as it unveiled plans to transform itself into a low-cost airline after failing to reach an agreement over its regional feeder contract with United Airlines(OTC BB:UALAQ.OB - News).

Last edited:
Does anyone know for SURE, not rumor or speculation, but FOR SURE, if the DAL/ACA deal precludes ACA from operating bigger A/C under another code. I wouldn't think that DAL would want a relationship with someone they we competing with, but who knows.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but i believe that ACA owns two certificates, ACA and AC Jet. Could they potentially bypass the scope of the DL contract by operating under the other certificate? I haven't seen anything official since this story broke regarding the Dojets or Delta.

back in 1996

ACA faced code share issues with UAL back in 96 when they were going to get the RJ's, UAL ALPA said no jets on feeder routes. ACA said "The gates at IAD belong to us, we will operate jets with or without you, UAL decided to keep them as a feeder. They may have gone down in flames, but UAL did not call thier bluff.

Posted today on AIN Online - ACA Article

Atlantic Coast Airlines To Sever Ties with United
After months of fruitless negotiations for a new code-share deal with United Airlines, Sterling, Va.-based Atlantic Coast Airlines has decided to sever ties with its long-time partner and pursue a new plan to become an independent low-fare carrier based at Washington Dulles Airport. The plan involves the continued use of ACA’s 85 fifty-seat Bombardier CRJs on routes of up to 1,000 miles and a new fleet of either Boeing 737s or the Airbus A320 family of twinjets for longer routes. ACA said it has held discussions with other airlines for new code-share contracts under which it would remain independent and operate under its own brand. In any case, ACA’s Delta Connection operation will remain in full effect, it said. ACA would not issue a start date for the independent operation because its plans still hinge on United’s rejection of the partners’ United Express agreement, an option United enjoys under a bankruptcy court ruling. Until that time, said ACA, it intends to fulfill its obligations under the current contract.

Just curious:

If they get 737s or 320s, do they hire experienced street captains? Do the senior guys get the FO spots, then replace the street captains once they get enough experience? How's this work?

OK, but how does that work? How do you train people quick enough that they are safe and familiar on new equipment. It seems to me that when any airline adds new equipment, for a while you are going to have new captains flying with new FOs. (On that equipment.) Can you safely switch from captain on an RJ to captain on a 737 with just sim training, a few bounces and a type rating? Or 737 to 767, or 1900 to CRJ, etc?

I'm just an outsider who's curious with how this works.

Thanks

Well ACA (or its Westair start) has operated Dash's, Brasilia's, Jetstreams, CRJ's and Dornier Jets. As far as I know in every new airplane, they sent out the senior guys, they got training and then came back and trained the fleet. They didn't hire outside CRJ people when the CRJ's arrived and they didn't hire Dornier people (if there were any) when that plane came on property. As a product of one of the first Dornier classes, it can be frustrating to be in the "new" airplane at the barn, but I'll give a lot of credit to the structure and comraderie of the ACA folks to get it done and understood. Green on green rules were used for the Dornier to keep people out of trouble in the first few months of operation.

Latest resources

Back