ACA Contract Concessions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
To my fellow ACA pilots (and to the rest as well):

1.) Getting into a ####ing contest with the fellow pilots is just beneath us at this time (divide and conquer).

2.) I have two Mesa buddies and both truthfully voted "no". They don't understand the "yes" votes either, but an awful lot of people took the bait and got scared.

3.) If a vote comes to ACA, I know I will vote NO concessions. I don't care - we are paid diddly squat to do our job. Our wages are within 10% of everybody else (yes we're 4% lower than CMR and ASA and we're 10-11% higher than Mesa and CHQ). 10% of nothing is nothing and 10% of almost nothing is still nothing.

4.) I don't know what your paycheck says, but last year I got paid $24.70/flt hr to fly right seat DO and $47.60 to fly left seat DO. My W-4 says $28K and some change in SALARY. Next year, converting to the CRJ, I will jump (potentially) to $58K as my highest possible earnings. So here I am a 3-year veteran of the airline with a 4-yr degree and 3,000 hrs of personally bought training to make the grade and I'm still averaging a salary roughly equivalent to an apprentice plumber or carpenter.

5.) Counting your per diem as salary is just sick. That is money you get to live on the road. If YOU think of it as salary, then the COMPANY will think of it as salary. It's not! It is a pitiful amount of money that does not adequately reimburse me for my travel expenses on the road. At the end of the year, I did not have my 28K salary and 5K of perdiem to spend. The 5K vanished on the road and Uncle Sam and the state of Maryland took 50% of the rest leaving me with $14,000 to pay all my bills at home.

5.) Even if I vote NO on concessions, I gather enough of you will vote YES to allow the thing to pass and I will have to eat my tongue and continue working or give up a very valuable seniority number.

6.) I will get poorer and the rich including Tom, Kerry and Jonathon will get richer. The industry will break our backs to provide $100 airfares to anywhere in the country while still making fat profits and boosting the stock price. This is capitalism.

7.) The only way #6 will not happen is if we:

a.) strike (or do something to slow the juggernaut)
b.) have a horrific week where undertrained, overworked and underpaid pilots have lots of accidents.
c.) re-regulate.

a.) requires a strong and united union and maybe even a national level demonstration of how bad the plight of a regional pilot is.
b.) is a nightmare in our minds, but a string of accidents (which I think is a possibility) from stressed and fatigued pilots would create a public outcry for change (regardless of cost - kind of like the current security spending).
c.) also unthinkable to a conservative capitalist like myself, but if the airline's management can't successfully run a business, then maybe we should have a regulated industry so people will understand that it costs $500 per ticket to take them coast-to-coast and $1000 to take them to Europe and there's no such thing as a "free ride".

Tarp,

Well said. It sounds like you have the best attitude of anyone around here. Also, I especially have to agree with you about counting per diem as part of earnings; it is ridiculous. It is absurd. Good luck,

pat

Tarp,
Just an observation: but I don't think the American public is going to believe, accept, or support anything that raises their airfares. The standard line is: if JetBlue, AirTran, and Southwest can do it, you (we) should be able as well, or the company deserves to go out of business - survival of the fittest.

Tarp's discusssion about wages (not sure why anyone calls it a "salary" since we're paid hourly...guess I shouldn't have minored in english) is right on. His/her accounting of annual income is much more in line with the rest of us. As for the per diem, sh*t I've spent a days' worth (or more) on one lousy meal when there was no where else to eat. It certainly isn't part of my annual income that I count on.

I too am constantly amazed that there isn't some horrific accident at the regional level. Having your duty day extended until 3 or 4 am and flying in crap wx doesn't result in the safest scenario as far as I'm concerned.

Let's just hope the major changes that need to occur in this industry happening fast.

(I know, I know. I'm hallucinating again! I shouldn't have stopped that glue sniffing thing! Sorry.)

Oh, it's too bad that a thread regarding concessions at ACA degraded into a "pi$$ing contest" between members. I am so glad that all my fellow pilots are professionals <-- damm tongue stuck in cheek again!

tarp said:

5.) Counting your per diem as salary is just sick. That is money you get to live on the road. If YOU think of it as salary, then the COMPANY will think of it as salary. It's not!

I guess this was directed in my general direction. I do not consider per diem as part of my salary but since per diem shows up in my paychecks, I included it in my previous post. I had $3661.20 in per diem last year (lots of reserve and training) so subtract that from the other number and that's how much I actually made. Well...before Uncle Sam got more than his fair share at least.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back