AC 90-100 Compiance (GNS-XLS)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Consigliere
I just got this off the NBAA board, looks like a lot of airplanes became /W today!

To all GNS-XLS users:

I received this communication today from Honeywell. This is a reversal of what we were told last month.

WRT: Further communications concerning AC 90-100 compliance

I got this also and it's different from what I got a week ago. With GNS-XLS's are you still /Q, but can't accept RNAV SIDS & STARS? Thats the way it looks. How do others feel about this?

HEADWIND

So what is the cost to pull out the GNS and install a UNS?
Its gotta be around 60K at least.

What's he talking about "inability to load complete procedure", whenever I load a SID or STAR the waypoints and altitudes are loaded in. This affects a lot of airplanes.

O-Line said:
What's he talking about "inability to load complete procedure", whenever I load a SID or STAR the waypoints and altitudes are loaded in. This affects a lot of airplanes.

You cannot do a Type A or B sid/star with GNSxls or most of the KLN series gps's either. If you load the Jaike One arrival for TEB, there are three fixes on the chaterted arrival that do not come up in the star data base. They are not part of the routing but stand alone out there on there own, I pressume for atc use. They are in the nav data base of the GNSxls but AC 90-100 says you cannot manually enter the fixes on the star. Since you cannot manually enter these fixes and they don't pop up in the star data base you cannot use your GNS or KLN types for this or these types of arrivals thanks to the FAA.

Headwind said:
I got this also and it's different from what I got a week ago. With GNS-XLS's are you still /Q, but can't accept RNAV SIDS & STARS? Thats the way it looks. How do others feel about this?

HEADWIND

I agree with your statement except for the Q part. This has been debated by several on the NBAA site. The way I understand it Q is for an airframe/avionics combo that is RNP compliant. This is different from having an LOA saying you can operate in RNP 5- 10 airspace. In the case of Q, it is the actual aircraft that is certified to operate in RNP airspace as stated in the AFM and there are only a few models that have this approval, Gulfstream and I think Boeing were the ones mentioned. Of course by looking at Flight Tracker I would say 90% of the of the people still file Q.

ps. someone on the NBAA site is trying to get to the bottom of this with FAA.

???

SabreFlyR said:
You cannot do a Type A or B sid/star with GNSxls or most of the KLN series gps's either. If you load the Jaike One arrival for TEB, there are three fixes on the chaterted arrival that do not come up in the star data base. They are not part of the routing but stand alone out there on there own, I pressume for atc use. They are in the nav data base of the GNSxls but AC 90-100 says you cannot manually enter the fixes on the star. Since you cannot manually enter these fixes and they don't pop up in the star data base you cannot use your GNS or KLN types for this or these types of arrivals thanks to the FAA.
I've flown lots of RNAV SIDS and STARS with the GNS-XLS, KEPEC/BOACH in LAS comes to mind, and I've never had a problem or had to load a fix/altitude. What am I missing here?

O-Line said:
I've flown lots of RNAV SIDS and STARS with the GNS-XLS, KEPEC/BOACH in LAS comes to mind, and I've never had a problem or had to load a fix/altitude. What am I missing here?

Same here, but apparently this guy thinks differently. The AC says you cannot manually load a fix on a Type A or B sid/star, so even with it being in the navigation data base but not in the sid/star data base you cannot manually load that fix onto a sid or star per AC90-100.
It makes absolutely no sense at all that because the fix isn't stored as part of the sid/star it is now magically deemed unusable by the FAA.

Due to these systems inability to load complete procedure SIDS/STARS, it has been determined by Lou Volchansky with the FAA that with regards to AC 90-100, the GNS-XLS, GNS-XL, CDU-XLS, KLN-89B, KLN-90B, KLN-900, and KLN-94 are:
ONLY approved for RNAV Q-routes and Obstacle Departure Procedures, NOT RNAV Type A and Type B SID/STAR procedures.”
For further information please refer to the FAA’s compliance website at:
http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/afs/afs400/afs410/policy_guidance/media/AC90_100compliance.pdf

Sabre is correct, you CANNOT manually enter fixes. Also, as I understand it, you are not an "Q". Research, questions and debates lead us to file "L" and now that might be in question.

The lead on the Las Vegas RNAV group for their ATC is working with Honeywell trying to find an answer. Hopefully we'll hear something soon.

Hey guys,

Can you tell me where on the NBAA website you guys are going to get this info?
Is it a message board like flightinfo.com? I have access to the NBAA website but rarely go there.

Any info would be appreciated. I need more info about AC 90-100

Thanks,

DK

Latest resources

Back