• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AC 90-100 Compiance (GNS-XLS)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We file /L for all of our aircraft equipped with the GNS-XLS. GravityHater, you are probably right about the fix being expensive...unfortunately....hopefully with 2500 users out there Honeywell may try to make things right with minimal hassle (yeah right!).

GravityHater said:
I think this is a big mess that could easily have been predicted and was instead left for owners to sort out after the fact. I predict an expensive fix involving more than just software.

I think you're right and just how long will take them to decide how to fix it is going to be a problem. I am looking into the Universal now, he!! might even consider a Garmin, they seem to have their act together.

After talking to Cessna, $97,000 to swap a GNS-XLS with a UNS-1ESP.
Of course, that would be a brand new box. A used one might be available.

Now, I learn better by the "show and discuss" method better then the "read and understand" method. I am rereading the AC and I found this:

(4) Whenever possible, RNAV routes​
[FONT=Times New Roman PSMT,Times New Roman PSMT]should be extracted from the database in their entirety, rather than loading RNAV route waypoints from the database into the flight plan individually. Selecting and inserting individual, named fixes is permitted, provided all fixes along the published route to be flown are inserted. [/FONT]

Later is says:
[FONT=Times New Roman PSMT,Times New Roman PSMT]
(7) Manual entry (latitude/longitude, place/bearing) of published procedure waypoints into the aircraft system is not permitted.​
Additionally, pilots must not change any RNAV SID or STAR database waypoint type from a fly-by to a fly-over or vice versa.

[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman PSMT,Times New Roman PSMT]It was on page 11.[/FONT]

Does this mean you can type in the name of the fix but not Radial/Bearing/DME or LAT/LONG to identify a fix?
[FONT=Times New Roman PSMT,Times New Roman PSMT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman PSMT,Times New Roman PSMT]What part of the GNS boxes fail the requirements for the AC?[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman PSMT,Times New Roman PSMT]Is it:[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman PSMT,Times New Roman PSMT]1) the RNP required for type A & type B SID/STAR or;[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman PSMT,Times New Roman PSMT]2) the proper loading of the waypoints in the SID/STAR? [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman PSMT,Times New Roman PSMT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman PSMT,Times New Roman PSMT]Or both? [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman PSMT,Times New Roman PSMT]My friend flies a Citation 650 with P-RNAV approval but he has the GNS-XLS box, so what does that mean?​
[/FONT]

Whenever we mess with a loaded STAR/SID by removing or adding a waypoint, as described in the manual, the entire STAR/SID drops out completely and you have to start all over. I think its a safety issue, they don't want someone messing with the route. I can't imagine anyone actually loading the entire sid/star waypoint by waypoint, is there ever a reason to use an axe to chop wood when a chainsaw is right there?

Capthuff said:
Now,

[FONT=Times New Roman PSMT,Times New Roman PSMT]What part of the GNS boxes fail the requirements for the AC?[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman PSMT,Times New Roman PSMT]Is it:[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman PSMT,Times New Roman PSMT]1) the RNP required for type A & type B SID/STAR or;[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman PSMT,Times New Roman PSMT]2) the proper loading of the waypoints in the SID/STAR? [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman PSMT,Times New Roman PSMT]Or both? [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman PSMT,Times New Roman PSMT]
[/FONT]

The way I now understand it, It has to do with the path terminators. I am not sure what it is exactly that the GNS doesn't do that other boxes are able to. Hopefully someone on here or elsewhere will know.

Bringing back an old thread on the XLS. I may find myself with one soon, and am curious as if they are now approved to do the RNAV SID and STARS? I can't find if an update was ever made. If not, those are pretty much boat anchors.

Latest resources

Back