Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

erichartmann

Freight Dog
Anybody see any hope out there? The stock price is in the dumps, debt is high, credit markets are "tight". DHL looks to be intent on committing suicide. ABX/ATSG management seems to have been unable to make further inroads in the non-DHL ACMI market, and blames the pilot's CBA for it. A White Knight perhaps?. If so, who?

Why is Joe Hete still employed there?? Any CEO that oversees a company who has lost 95% of it's value would be tossed out on the street.

I don't know if that is the case. All the acft available are working. I do think that for it to grow significantly and to be successful the pilots along with all of those who will be left will have to face the reality of what we will be and will have to take paycuts etc....

ABX/ATSG management seems to have been unable to make further inroads in the non-DHL ACMI market, and blames the pilot's CBA for it. A White Knight perhaps?. If so, who?

What would you have him do. We are still on the hook to DHL till 2010 or whenever they leave. They are an albatross weighing us down. Lets see what happens after we shed DHL. If he can't turn it around then, get rid of him. But a lot of where we are is our entanglement with DHL.

Why is Joe Hete still employed there?? Any CEO that oversees a company who has lost 95% of it's value would be tossed out on the street.

You have got to be kidding! Stay off the Cool Aid! The Hete ego and the DHL ego are whats to blame, in equal measures. Two children that couldn't play together. Listen to the congressional hearing tapes and you will see just how much he screwed us and Wilmington. He wasn't exactly setting the world on fire before DHL came to town either.

You have got to be kidding! Stay off the Cool Aid! The Hete ego and the DHL ego are whats to blame, in equal measures. Two children that couldn't play together. Listen to the congressional hearing tapes and you will see just how much he screwed us and Wilmington. He wasn't exactly setting the world on fire before DHL came to town either.

I think you misinterpreted what was said, mxer. What would someone else be able to do in this situation? He has a plan for DHL, but last we heard DHL was not listening to ANY other offers. Not Hete, not Dasburg and not even the State of Ohio. Do you really think they would listen to anyone else? So how do you suppose we can get our costs in line with other ACMI carriers in order to be competitive in that market when our current (although short term) costs are still tied to the DHL operation?

I think you misinterpreted what was said, mxer. What would someone else be able to do in this situation? He has a plan for DHL, but last we heard DHL was not listening to ANY other offers. Not Hete, not Dasburg and not even the State of Ohio. Do you really think they would listen to anyone else? So how do you suppose we can get our costs in line with other ACMI carriers in order to be competitive in that market when our current (although short term) costs are still tied to the DHL operation?

At this stage, I think you're probaby right shooter. DHL is not interested in Hete's plan. They never were. They were interested in buying him out to streamline operations. He didn't want to sell. End of interest, and pursuit of the dreaded "other alternatives".

At this stage, I think you're probaby right shooter. DHL is not interested in Hete's plan. They never were. They were interested in buying him out to streamline operations. He didn't want to sell. End of interest, and pursuit of the dreaded "other alternatives".

True when you look at where we are at right now. But you seem to be turning a blind eye to the fact that Hete wanted to buy out Astar as well. In fact before DHL even wanted to buy out ABX, ABX was looking to buy out Astar. When you listen to the hearings starting at about the 3 hour mark, Mullen even remarks that it did not matter if ABX bought Astar or Astar bought ABX, both sides did not reach an agreement so they went on to UPS. And now we are where we are, I guess.

Last edited:
True when you look at where we are at right now. But you seem to be turning a blind eye to the fact that Hete wanted to buy out Astar as well. In fact before DHL even wanted to buy out ABX, ABX was looking to buy out Astar. When you listen to the hearings starting at about the 3 hour mark, Mullen even remarks that it did not matter if ABX bought Astar or Astar bought ABX, both sides did not reach an agreement so they went on to UPS. And now we are where are, I guess.

I'm not turning a blind eye to it Shooter. It doesn't matter what Hete wanted to do. DHL wasn't interested. They wanted Joe to go away. I agree with you that we now are where we are. It's all moot anyway.

Latest resources

Back