• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ABX update

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It seems like every time ABX pilots reach out to DHL...

Technically, we're "reaching out" to DPWN/Ver di, ie: the parent company. It's a long-term commitment to a relationship, time will tell if it bears fruit. Right now I don't believe any individual carrier in the DHL system has significant growth opportunities because DHL doesn't grow "organically"; wherever they need more lift they buy or contract with a new carrier as opposed to growing the existing ones. Would the Astar pilots say they are pleased with the "growth" they've seen in the last 3 years? I can't speak for them, but from my side of the fence I haven't seen anything exciting happening over there.

Personally I haven't heard anything about LBB, HRL or ABQ. Maybe they want to truck them, too. It's actually a brilliant strategy, you see. FedEx/UPS will never make any money hauling freight on all those expensive new airplanes! They'll be bankrupt any day now! We've got them right where we want them!

mgt

FedEx/UPS will never make any money hauling freight on all those expensive new airplanes! They'll be bankrupt any day now! We've got them right where we want them!

HEY NOW! You take that back! That's OUR mgt. BS line. Go tell your mgt. to come up with their own BS line [mgt:smash: ]

Seriously, can't these fools at least come up with something fresh rather than reaching for that old dusty playbook they've been using for the last 70 years.:rolleyes:

Technically, we're "reaching out" to DPWN/Ver di, ie: the parent company. It's a long-term commitment to a relationship, time will tell if it bears fruit. Right now I don't believe any individual carrier in the DHL system has significant growth opportunities because DHL doesn't grow "organically"; wherever they need more lift they buy or contract with a new carrier as opposed to growing the existing ones. Would the Astar pilots say they are pleased with the "growth" they've seen in the last 3 years? I can't speak for them, but from my side of the fence I haven't seen anything exciting happening over there.

Personally I haven't heard anything about LBB, HRL or ABQ. Maybe they want to truck them, too. It's actually a brilliant strategy, you see. FedEx/UPS will never make any money hauling freight on all those expensive new airplanes! They'll be bankrupt any day now! We've got them right where we want them!

How well will that relationship go once DHL starts taking flying away and giving it to other acmi carriers? Or when you start getting the word from management that ABX isn't going to be able to be competitive with lower tier carriers because crew costs are too high? If you haven't heard it yet you will eventually. DHL has proven over and over that they are not loyal and will crush any agreement they made.
I do like the idea of the one union for DHL carriers that someone mentioned.

Technically, we're "reaching out" to DPWN/Ver di, ie: the parent company. It's a long-term commitment to a relationship, time will tell if it bears fruit.
Dude, step away from the Kool-aid! I repeat, step A-W-A-Y from the Kool-aid!!

If you want to know what DHL thinks of unionized employees (especially Teamsters) Google "DHL,Teamsters," and see what you get.

(If you're a DHL manager and you're reading this, Google "DHL $uck$," leaving out the dollar signs of course, and see how well your "no employees means no employee problems" policy is working in the U.S.)

Hearing that ABK is "reaching out" to Dumwinkle is like that scene in the movie "War of the Worlds"...the original one...where the kindly old country Preacher, remarks that any creature created by the same God as us must have values similar to our own. He approaches the Martians space ship with Bible in hand in a gesture of peace and friendship, when all of a sudden...bzzzzzzzZAP! Dust.

Now you say you want to "reach out" to those ba$tard? Fine!

You go first...

trucking cle? now that is a fu)(ing joke.
there is no way a truck can make cle by 7am. min by truck is 4 hours with no snow. add east side snow, its 5-6 hours.
GO BROWN, GO PURPLE, because YELLOW SUCKS

Dude, step away from the Kool-aid! I repeat, step A-W-A-Y from the Kool-aid!!

If you want to know what DHL thinks of unionized employees (especially Teamsters) Google "DHL,Teamsters," and see what you get.

(If you're a DHL manager and you're reading this, Google "DHL $uck$," leaving out the dollar signs of course, and see how well your "no employees means no employee problems" policy is working in the U.S.)

Hearing that ABK is "reaching out" to Dumwinkle is like that scene in the movie "War of the Worlds"...the original one...where the kindly old country Preacher, remarks that any creature created by the same God as us must have values similar to our own. He approaches the Martians space ship with Bible in hand in a gesture of peace and friendship, when all of a sudden...bzzzzzzzZAP! Dust.

Now you say you want to "reach out" to those ba$tard? Fine!

You go first...

Hey thats Terry Moore's website. Been around forever. Take you guys this long to find it?

Hearing that ABK is "reaching out" to Dumwinkle...

I was responding to a question about APA 1224's relationship with the union representatives who are DPWN board members. I put "reaching out" in quotes because that was the phrase used in the previous post. I'm a member of APA 1224 but I'm not on the MEC. My MEC has my full support in all of their efforts, including the relationship with Ver di. I'm assuming you understand the corporate structure.

I think I've previously expressed my views on how "well" I think DHL's policy is working, but I'll restate it: I am convinced their policy guarantees that FedEx & UPS will eat them up in the world market. They're going to have to make some drastic changes if they're ever to make a profit in the U.S.

There is no reason to make any concessions, because if they try to run this thing with a bunch of non-union lowest-bidder contractors the whole thing is doomed to fail anyway. Givebacks are not going to save them.

Dpwn/apa 1224

Seems like there may be some confusion out there, maybe this will clear some up. The ABX union effort in Germany has been to establish a relationship with the labor leaders who are board members at DPWN (DHL's parent company). The intent is to communicate our U.S. labor issues directly to the labor leaders in Bonn. They have some votes and some influence on the board and their influence might help us all in the future. By law they are given seats on the board to represent labor interests. If the labor leaders in Europe secretly hate the U.S. unions then we've wasted our time. But I still don't see how it hurts us, because we don't negotiate with them.

DISCLAIMER:
I am a college dropout who has only been able to find gainful employment by performing a simple, repetitive task, ie: flying an airplane.

Hey thats Terry Moore's website. Been around forever. Take you guys this long to find it?

Forever is right. The guy loves to brag how he won $104,000 or something in court from Airborne Freight Corp. Funny part is he couldn't touch a dime cause the poor slob was bankrupt... it went straight to his creditors.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back